RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: "Lyman Lubes" - made out of what?

Boolit Mold

"Lyman Lubes" - made out of what?

What are these Lyman lubes like "Ideal" made out of? What are the components?

Boolit Buddy

First off, welcome to the board! Now as far as your question, the components vary from lube to lube, & company to company. So far as I've seen, the base component is wax (beeswax etc.). NRA formula is 50/50 beeswax & alox. Different components are used for different applications, i.e. pistol / rifle / blackpowder... I believe that Lyman "Ideal" has no alox in it. The component combination for lubes is staggering. you can do a search for bullet lubes here & see for yourself. I'm sure others with more experience on the matter will chime in..
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Boolit Mold
    Thank you!
    I know that there are tons of recipes here.
    I just wanted to know about the lubes made by (or for) Lyman - especially "Ideal" - because I´ve used them with very good results and I want to "copy" them.

I brew my own lube (for handgun) and this is it:
    60% beeswax
    20% bearing grease
    20% lanolin (water free)

Boolit Buddy

This should help a lil bit. grab some coffee and sit back..

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=29683
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Boolit Grand Master

Lube Equivalent

You make a good point about the lube. Lyman lubes or those made for Lyman. But who makes them and what composition??

Just like the Lyman gas checks, At one time Lyman may have made them, but my understanding is that they no longer do. They are made by Hornady and bulk shipped to Lyman or possibly even put in Lyman boxes by Hornady.

Same with the Lube. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. I can guarantee one thing though, the duplicate recipe or the exact equivalent of it can be found on this forum. Felix and some others would a great place to start. There is lots of info here about home brew lube

I however, purchase mine. Nothing wrong with doing you own, I just find it easier to purchase and spend my limited time casting, reloading, and shooting.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch...php/t-733.html
    http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

Shiloh u

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Shiloh, The supply line in Germany could be abit different than the US.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    Shiloh, The supply line in Germany could be abit different than the US.
    Noted. Thanks Cajun Shooter!!

One would think that bees wax, mineral oil and/or castor oil, lanolin, paraffin, vaseline/white petroleum jelly, ATF (transmission fluid not the goons) and most of the other stuff used by the home brew lube makers could be found in Germany.

This is Germany, a country along with Switzerland that has practiced the fine art of Schuetzen and Schuetzenfest for more than a century. I would think that there would be ample supplies of needed ingredients for quality lube and local resources.

Couple that with the knowledge of many vastly experienced casters and shooters on this forum, and this is a recipe for success. When it comes to sharing knowledge and experience, some of the most generous and unselfish-to-a fault folks in the casting and shooting world, are right here on this forum.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=29683

Shiloh

Boolit Grand Master

I see carnuba wax mentioned from time to time. I don't drink so the wax seals on expensive liquor bottles is out. Also the wax on cheese wouldn't supply me either.
    Does anyone have a cheap source for carnuba wax?
    the best I found is $14.95 + $9.50 S&H, for 10#.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    I see carnuba wax mentioned from time to time. I don't drink so the wax seals on expensive liquor bottles is out. Also the wax on cheese wouldn't supply me either.
    Does anyone have a cheap source for carnuba wax?
    the best I found is $14.95 + $9.50 S&H, for 10#.
    Surf board wax or ski wax is usually carnuba wax. Local ski or surf shops (depending where you live) should have it. Although 15 bucks for 10lbs sounds pretty inexpensive.
    Μολών Λaβέ!

"Since you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of
    freedom - I'll go from you in peace...Enjoy licking the hands that feed you. May your chains sit lightly
    upon you, and may posterity forget that I was your countryman." - Samuel Adams