Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Match ammo...from casting?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Some folks in the Cast Bullet Association have done work with 72 grain bullets, but I believe they stop at 200 yards. John Alexander wrote an article on cast .223 with a title that was something like "why not cast for 223". That convinced me to try tiny bullets. The biggest obstacle is the twist rate of most .223 rifles. With 55gr spire point or soft point selling at $70 a thousand, (not today, of course) a lot of folks have never had a reason to try tiny cast bullets.
    Look at the link in post 5. Less than $85/1000 for jacketed.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    A lot of us 'chase' accuracy with cast bullets. Mine are .308. If I have a really good day then my groups will be just under an inch at 100yd. Most of the time I will have at least one flyer open it up to 1.5" (3" at 200yd). Those are 5 and 10 round groups.

If you look at the cast benchrest matches someone who consistently shoots less than 1" groups will usually win a match.

My .223 bolt gun 'easily' shoots 1/2" at 100yd as long as I am doing a good job shooting. That takes good bullets. I prefer the 69 and 77gn Sierra Match Kings as a decent balance of accuracy and price. Another shooter did a long comparison of .223 components and settled on 77gn Sierra Tipped Match Kings as being slightly better than the hollow point SMK's. Berger's, Lapua's, etc are at another level if you and the rifle can take advantage of their precision and extra cost.

If I want a load for plinking I will use the cheap 55gn FMJBT ammo. Pre-COVID I would pay just under $11/100. They would shoot just over 1" at 100yd.

For short ranges you could also follow the bench rest folks and use flat base varmint bullets out to 200yd.

FWIW, it takes a good rifle and skill to shoot a rifle consistently at less than 1/2MOA.

So, all depends on how accurate you want to be. And factor in the above comments about trouble with function on a semi-auto.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk