Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lead from a friend

Boolit Master
    If they look good tumble or clean with soap and water and load them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Myself, if I don't know what mold was used, I would melt them down and cast the lead into something I can use. I really don't like the idea of finding the perfect load, then not being able to replace (either by casting or purchasing) more projectiles.

I bought most of a five gallon bucket full of bullets heavily lubed with Lee Alox one time. I'm talking it was almost 1/16" thick. When it finally melted off the bullets in my smelting pot, it formed a thick gooey black layer that smoked like I had lit a couple of semi tires on fire. Nasty stuff.

Good part was that I had close to 100 pounds of decent lead alloy to make into my own boolits when I was done.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I'm with the group that would sort through them and then melt them down and cast them into ingots for future use. I won't chance shooting dirty bullets through my guns.

Just a thought, but Lemishine (in the detergent section at Wally's) does a great job on brass cases. You could probably use a spoonful in a quart of water to wash your boolits, without hurting them.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    If the bullets fit your guns then I'd use them. I'd follow the advice above, clean and lube with something you know. That will give you something to shoot while you figure out your casting techniques.

I've never had good luck with factory hollow base wadcutters. I always get lead in the barrel. I'd just melt those in with the rest of the scrap.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    Just a thought, but Lemishine (in the detergent section at Wally's) does a great job on brass cases. You could probably use a spoonful in a quart of water to wash your boolits, without hurting them.

Wayne
    I thought that was not going to work so decided to do an overnight soak of some lubed bullets to see what would happen.
    1/4 teaspoon lemi-shine in 16 ounces of water. Soaked for 13 hours with occasional shaking of the container.
    1 teaspoon of Armorall car wash and wax in 16 ounces of water. Treated as above.
    1 teaspoon of Borax detergent in 16 ounces of water. Treated as above.

The bees wax based lube remained firmly in the grooves. Do not waste your time and effort trying to wash lube with soap and water or mild acid.

I would just melt it all down & call it range scrap. Pour a few bullets, wait a week & test for bhn.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12