MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: dillon xl 650 primer kaboom (new-bee)

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldo View Post
    What was the problem with the 550 when it KB'ed?
    Primers were sticking in the primer tube and it was stuck at the back stroke with a primer and the slide all the way back. They took everything apart after that but I'm not sure what the original problem was that caused it. Did learn to never force when things go wrong. Would have been better to take everything apart or just take the press over to Dillon the way it was.
    Go ahead and run. You will only die tired

Boolit Buddy
    I occasionally have a .38 case size but not deprimed(not short-stroked, decapper not broken). I believe the decapper pierces the anvil, pushes it out and then pulls it back into primer pocket. This isn't rare, because I had a lyman carbide die do same thing, solved by rounding off decap pin. I've always FELT the problem on my 650, being sensitive and gentle on priming stroke. Be safe

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by glicerin View Post
    I occasionally have a .38 case size but not deprimed(not short-stroked, decapper not broken). I believe the decapper pierces the anvil, pushes it out and then pulls it back into primer pocket. This isn't rare, because I had a lyman carbide die do same thing, solved by rounding off decap pin. I've always FELT the problem on my 650, being sensitive and gentle on priming stroke. Be safe
    I have had the same issue before on the single stage press. In the 650 I use Dillon dies with the spring and have not a primer stick on the pin.

Boolit Mold
    the replacement parts arrived and i installed them this weekend. the alignment pin should be here some time this week. i spoke to one of the guys at dillon and he seemed to think alignment and my heavy hand caused the boom.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin45acp View Post
    I have had the same issue before on the single stage press. In the 650 I use Dillon dies with the spring and have not a primer stick on the pin.
    i am also useing dillon's dies. i still cant seem to figure out how i had one or two cases thrown out of the shell plate from the primeing stage.

Boolit Master
    Welcome, and glad you are not hurt. I load on single stage presses and use a lee hand primer, never had any detonate.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by cx4stormer View Post
    i am also useing dillon's dies. i still cant seem to figure out how i had one or two cases thrown out of the shell plate from the primeing stage.
    Dumb question...................do you have the correct locateing pin in place?

Boolit Mold
    Dumb question...................do you have the correct locateing pin in place?
    ok, the locator pins i have are stamped with the number (1). i am loading .45 acp.
    since my question in the quote had to do with a empty being tossed from the primer stage, im not sure what the locator pins have to do with this? now, if you had asked if the locator TAB had been adjusted properly i would have to say i cannot be sure.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by NSP64 View Post
    Welcome, and glad you are not hurt. I load on single stage presses and use a lee hand primer, never had any detonate.
    thanks for the kind words. i was going to buy a single stage but,,,,, since i had loaded on a single stage previosly, i thought i could handle the 650 without any problems. as i have said before, i forced the machine and got burned. it will NOT happen again.

Boolit Mold
    ok, the locator pins i have are stamped with the number (1). i am loading .45 acp.
    since my question in the quote had to do with a empty being tossed from the primer stage, im not sure what the locator pins have to do with this? now, if you had asked if the locator TAB had been adjusted properly i would have to say i cannot be sure.
    DUH!!!!! I know that, brain fart. The locator tab just kind of keeps the case in place while allowing it to float for alignment. It still would take a lot to push a case out unless you had a primer rolling under the shell plate.

Banned
    i got a piece of .45 brass on top my primer stick the weight helps the primers go down. -chris

Boolit Mold
    today i ran off 100 rounds SLOW and STEADY. i felt every primer go in like butter. the alignment tool made a difference.

i ran out of primers while loading and re-filled the magazine. i was very careful picking up the primers in the proper direction. just for the hell of it i removed a shell that was about to be primed, when i saw the next primer was upside down in the disc.

qusetion (s)..... how the hell did THIS happen? if i had not seen this would that next push forward cause another boom?

i spoke to dillon this morning and one of the guys said it was odd that a primer would "flip". he also said the upside down primer would not blow when pushed by the primer punch.

thanks guys, to answer some of your questions. i cannot post pics, loading about maybe 10 rounds per minute, thank god i did not get hurt , i am 98% sure it was operator error.

after reading some of your posts i sat down at the bench and looked over the 650, here is what's toast, slide follower, switch lever, primer disc does not look to good but might be ok, primer magazine, one ceiling tile.

now, the machine started not moving as smoothly as it did the first 200 rounds i ran, in fact i recall one or two empty cases popping out of the priming station and being tossed across the bench ( should have stopped loading right there) it was only about 5 or 6 more loads after that when the boom happened.

i had loaded about 200 rounds with federal primers. the boom happened with winchester primers. does the age of a primer make a difference? the federal primers are new from the gun shop the winchester primers were given to me by a friend who had them in his basement for an unknown amount of time.

again, i would to thank all of you for your help. i started to enjoy reloading and went nuts buying all kinds of reloading gear but, if it happens agian my fault or not the 650 will gone from here.
    If you had a shell pop out of the primer station, the shell plate was out of adjustment. You may have aspent primer stuck under the plate. Besure and empty the spent primer cup often. They will back up and cause feeding problems.
    Best regards, Baldy.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I agree the upside down primer would not blow, at least I have never had one blow from that. On the 550B there does not to be any way a primer could get flipped over, cannot say about a 650 as I do not have one.

My 550b priming with the large primer slide is a PITA, it has never worked 100%, I have fiddled with it a bit and it now seems a lot better.....now and then it does not QUITE slide back far enough to pick up a primer. I checked the cup height and that it correct.....I have read a lot on the Brian Enos forum about other people struggling with rl550b priming systems....I am not alone it seems.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

It's very easy for a primer to flip in the 550 if the primer plate isn't adjusted perfectly. Just 1/4 turn of the allen bolt behind the primer tube can make it flip primers if it catches the lip of the cup when raising.

On the 650 if eveything is tightened down you should never see an upside down primer. Either the shell plate or the primer setup would have to be loose.
    Go ahead and run. You will only die tired

I have had primers flipped, stuck sideways, and upside down in my 650. I have rammed them in pretty hard also. I have YET to set one off. I have even used it to deprime some brass with live, but unserviceable primers. I knew what the deal was and took propper precautions. It still never set one off. I have even had to take the primer assembly apart due to a primer being sideways in the little hole that they revolve around to the seating station, this happens fairly often (every few thousand rounds). Hope you figure it out. Please post the end result, this is interesting stuff. Glad your alright. Joel

Boolit Mold
    when i saw the next primer was upside down in the disc.
    qusetion (s)..... how the hell did THIS happen? if i had not seen this would that next push forward cause another boom?

i spoke to dillon this morning and one of the guys said it was odd that a primer would "flip". he also said the upside down primer would not blow when pushed by the primer punch.
    Are you CERTAIN that you did not pick one up wrong?? I am not sure how it would flip completley over unless the the press is not mounted solid enough.

Boolit Mold
    Are you CERTAIN that you did not pick one up wrong?? I am not sure how it would flip completley over unless the the press is not mounted solid enough.
    yes i am 100% sure i did not pick up one wrong. since the kaboom i have been moving REAL slow and double checking every move i make.

i beefed up the bench, i added a 3/4 piece of plywood to the top, bolted the bench to the floor and walls, and added a 4x4 directly under the press.

im not sure how the primer could flip either but, as azshooter said, the shell plate may be loose. today i will take a look at the shell plate, it may have to come down just bit.

i think the shell plate bolt should be run down untill it stops then, backed off just enough to allow it to move freely. when i changed out the new parts i may have backed off too much.

Boolit Mold
    yes i am 100% sure i did not pick up one wrong. since the kaboom i have been moving REAL slow and double checking every move i make.

i beefed up the bench, i added a 3/4 piece of plywood to the top, bolted the bench to the floor and walls, and added a 4x4 directly under the press.

im not sure how the primer could flip either but, as azshooter said, the shell plate may be loose. today i will take a look at the shell plate, it may have to come down just bit.

i think the shell plate bolt should be run down untill it stops then, backed off just enough to allow it to move freely. when i changed out the new parts i may have backed off too much.
    The shell plate has to right as does the priming assembly. As much as you have had this thing to Dillon I would think it is adjusted properly by now?????

Boolit Mold
    The shell plate has to right as does the priming assembly. As much as you have had this thing to Dillon I would think it is adjusted properly by now?????
    the press has NOT been sent back to dillon. when i get around to it i will let you know if the shell plate is loose. thanks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast