RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Caliber??

A nice medium weight barrel in .38/55 would be just right if it were mine.

Boolit Master

I like the 40-70SS, 38-55 and the 30-40. You can't go wrong with either one. Tapered octagon is my vote.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

The 40-82.....ain't cheap
    http://www.ammo-one.com/40-82WIN.html

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't think we established which Martini you have. Which Martini do you have?

Pacific Tool has had some of the Reamers we have mentioned on sale. I bought a .375 2 1/5 NE reamer recently. $66.

Brass from Buffalo.

I'm not sure it will turn the corner, but the 40 Maynard sound interesting. Uses 30/40 Krag or .303 Brass blown out.
    Last edited by The Double D; 01-06-2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: it's 0 not o
    Douglas, Ret.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Yeah, but will it fit in the Martini action? I don't think a 45-90 will. Its a matter of the angle of entry. Not knowing how long the 40-82 is does handicap me, of course. I'm at work so I can't reference COW.

Nope it won't turn the corner, but the 40-65 will. I'm not sure about the length of the 40-70SS but I think that you might have the same problem there. One of the 40 BNs would probably work.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Double D View Post
    I don't think we established which Martini you have. Which Martini do you have?

Pacific Tool has had some of the Reamers we have mentioned on sale. I bought a .375 2 1/5 NE reamer recently. $66.

Brass from Buffalo.

I'm not sure it will turn the corner, but the 40 Maynard sound interesting. Uses 30/40 Krag or .303 Brass blown out.
    It's one of the early, full size (# 1?) cast actions. When I got it it was a .303 smoothbore guard gun.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

the upper left hand corner ie Washington state

Martini in 30/40

I just did a large frame in 30/40. I used a Springfield two grove barrel and it shoots grate. My action had been converted to a .22 club gun in the U. K. back in the day so it required replacement of the lever.
    I would recommend this caliber as brass and molds are readily available. As stated before the actions were forged unless it is a Greener shot gun so the strength of the action will not cause problems.

Exblaster

Banned

50 alaskan

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    It's one of the early, full size (# 1?) cast actions. When I got it it was a .303 smoothbore guard gun.

None of the Original Martini Henry's later converted to .303 were cast, they are all forged.

What markings on on the gun and where?

Llyod will the 50 Alaskan turn the corner and feed in a Martini.
    Douglas, Ret.

Boolit Grand Master

LLoyd, you just like big boolits! If I was going to go .50 I'd probably go 50-70 just for the hell of it. May do that when I work on my RB action. I think this one will be a .40 something, and 40-65 looks good, in a half round configured barrel. Tapered enough to be light enough to carry.

40-65 is a .406" isn't it?
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Master

New barrels are .408.

Bob

What ever you cartridge you decide on what ever you do, make a barrel stub first chambered for your selected cartridge and see if it will feed.

If you need to grind the the feed ramp to get it to fit then don't because that breech block is also your locking lugs.
    Douglas, Ret.

[I've thought of 7x57, one of my favorite cartridges, but 7x57R cases are likely the problem. Granted, I haven't yet looked for them. I've got two 30-30's or I'd go that way.]

The 7-30 Waters.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy

which caliber

Why not split the difference and go with a .35 based on whatever existing case that works? There is .35 rem., 35 .30-30, 35 .303, 35.3040K. Or you could pick a usable case and go with a .37 caliber. There is .38-55 and .375 Winchester. Or, you could neck up any of the other cases mentioned. I've never done this but, if money and interest allowed, I'd go with a .35.
    Enjoy
    Tom

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    [I've thought of 7x57, one of my favorite cartridges, but 7x57R cases are likely the problem. Granted, I haven't yet looked for them. I've got two 30-30's or I'd go that way.]

The 7-30 Waters.
    I don't think that's a rimmed cartridge, is it?

Tom, I know what you are saying with the .35. Necking the 30-30 up or the 30-40 up to .35 is an option, and .35 is the most efficient. Logic may lean toward the .35, emotion leans toward the .40. Available molds probably lean toward the .35, as well, although I haven't checked. I have an RCBS 40-400CSA mold already, don't have a .35 other than pistol molds.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Master

7MM Waters is a necked down 30-30. I have one in a small Martini action. Dynamite little rifle, fast, light, and low recoil.

Bob

Boolit Grand Master
    You could chamber it for 38-72Win and form them from 405Win brass. You could first try the 38-55 and if you want more horsepower, then rechamber to 38-72Win.

Very old post I know, but is it established that the 40-82 will not make the turn into the chamber?

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    If you don't want the recoil of 45/70 how bout 45 long colt? It can be loaded pretty stout in this type of gun with out the recoil.

Boolit Master
    Rimmed 35 Rem. Standard 35 Rem chamber with a rim for 303 British. 303 British brass sized and shortened gives you a rimmed 35 Rem. OR a 303 British.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast