WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Caliber??

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    +1 for 30-40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the GP was chambered in 12G 2 3/4" (70mm) so in theory anything with an COL of 2.75" should fit!

Boolit Buddy
    a 375x444 should check all the boxes.. Ken waters wrote it up in handloader as the "375 express". brass is easy, redding has dies. I have one in a 24" TC contender and its awesome.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I am having a Martini action fixed and will soon have to make a decision, what caliber do I want in it? I have delusions of 9.3x74R, but I'm sure that will be too long. Yes, I've thought of 45-70, but I'm not sure I want one that kicks that much. I'm not committed to a BP cartridge for this, as long as I can keep it to approximately 7x57 pressures. Yeah, I've thought of 7x57, one of my favorite cartridges, but 7x57R cases are likely the problem. Granted, I haven't yet looked for them. I've got two 30-30's or I'd go that way.

I would like it to be a cast shooter, and that causes me to question the 7mm size, at least for hunting. Yeah, I'd like to take it into the woods at some point. Yes, I know, the 45-70 is very versitile, I have the Collar Button mold from NEI. And the only 45-70 I have now is the Encore barrel, all 20" of it.

I have a stock blank and have to send that off to be cut. Have to decide on the external dimensions of the barrel first. Round, octagonal, or half-round? I've always liked the half-round but not sure how it will look on a Martini.

Anyway, several of you have thought out these things, and I would like to hear some of your musing.
    What about 375 x2 1/2 " flanged nitro express .A friend has just finished a large frame Martini in 577 x2 1/2 "nitro and its a treat .A classic british rifle should be chambered in a classic british cartridge .My opinion only .

Gee if a 577 2 1/2 works why wouldn't a 40-82 basically a 408 2 1/2"

Did the block need any altering?
    Last edited by andym79; 03-03-2019 at 08:12 PM.

in Remebrance
    Well got in on this kinda late but here goes. Way back in '69 I acquired a Martini, originally .303 and sleeved to .22RF by W.W. Greener. Got a 26" .30 cal. tube from Mr. Ackley and chambered it to 30/40AI, then stocked it with crotch cut walnut from Missouri. Wish I knew how to post a pic. Made a custom scope mount over the chamber area. I shoot 180gr Hornady RN pushed by 49gr of H4831, gives me a screaming 2200fps always 3 inside 3/4" at 100yds. One shot one kill. Only thing bugs me is that my son has no interest in handloading, wants to know if he can shoot factory garbage in it. Guess when I'm gone it won't matter much. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boy, I hope after 10 years Wayne wasn't still waiting for more replies before he picked a caliber!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Actually it's worse than that - my gunsmith retired, took everything home to make the gun, didn't, and died. I lost it all. Took the money I had saved to pay him and bought the 40 caliber flintlock and now have an Encore barrel in 25 Krag AI. God is good.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If an older iron action, and if a longer case is not going to clear the locking block and eject, consider the 10x25mm Rimmed, which resembles a grown up .297 Morris Tube in .40 cal. With Trail Boss or black powder this is a subsonic, big-bore rook rifle.

With smokeless it aproximates the .38-40 Winchester or .40-50 Sharps, depending upon loading.

The case is simple to make by necking down Starline .44 Russian brass. No trimming or reaming of brass is needed. The case capacity is 4.5 grains of Trail Boss, 16 grains of IMR4227 or 21 grains of FFg Black. Use a Green Mountain 10mm / .38-40 barrel with 1:16" twist.

Accurate cuts the molds in 220-grain, 252-grain or 260-grain.

Attachment 237485Attachment 237486Attachment 237487

John Taylor has the Manson chambering and die reamers I had made, and can use them to do your rifle and loading dies. The long round with 260-grain bullet fits the New Model Ruger Vaquero cylinder and approximates .45 Colt energy with 16 grs. of IMR4227 from a 5-inch barrel.

Attachment 237484
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-06-2019 at 03:43 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

+1 on the .38-55 Winchester ... it's a perfect fit in a large action Martini. Mine is a ton of fun to shoot.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123