WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Scammers - Package Delivery

Boolit Grand Master

Scammers - Package Delivery

Crooks are getting smarter and smarter everyday.
    This sounds legitimate, except for the credit card part.

Scammers - Package Delivery

The following is a recounting of the incident from the victim:

"I had a phone call from someone saying that he was from some outfit called "Express Couriers." He asked if I was going to be home because there was a package for me that required a signature.

"The caller said that the delivery would arrive at my home in approximately an hour. Sure enough, about an hour later a uniformed delivery man turned up with a beautiful basket of flowers and a bottle of wine. I was very surprised, since there was no special occasion or holiday, and I, certainly, didn't expect anything like it. Intrigued, I inquired as to who the sender was.

"The courier replied, "I don't know, I'm only delivering the package.” Apparently, a greeting card was being sent separately (the card has never arrived). There was also a consignment note with the gift. He then went on to explain that because the gift contained alcohol, there was a $3.50 "delivery/ verification charge," providing proof that he actually had delivered the package to an adult of legal drinking age, and not just left it on the doorstep where it could be stolen or taken by anyone.

"This sounded logical and I offered to pay him cash. He then said that the delivery company required payment to be by credit or debit card only, so that everything is properly accounted for, and this would help in keeping a legal record of the transaction. He added, “couriers don't carry cash to avoid loss or being, likely, targets for robbery.”

"My husband, who was standing beside me, pulled out his credit card. The "delivery man" asked him to swipe the card on a small mobile card machine. My husband was asked to enter his PIN (red flag) number and a receipt was printed out. He was given a copy of the transaction The delivery person said everything was in order, and wished us good day, and left.

"To our horrible surprise, between Thursday and the following Monday, $4,000 had been charged/withdrawn from our credit/debit account at various ATM machines. Apparently, the "mobile credit card machine," which the deliveryman carried, had all the info necessary to create a "dummy" card with all our card details including the PIN number.

"Upon finding out about the illegal transactions on our card, we immediately notified the bank, which issued a new card and our credit/debit account was closed. We also went to the police, where it was confirmed that it is, definitely, a scam because several households had been similarly hit

WARNING: Be wary of accepting any "surprise gift or package," which you neither expected nor personally ordered, especially if it involves any kind of payment as a condition of receiving the gift or package. Also, never accept anything if you do not, personally, know or there is no proper identification of who the sender is. The only time you should give out any personal credit/debit card information is when you yourself initiated the purchase or transaction.

Boolit Master
    That’s a good one.

This is a pretty slick scam and would be fairly cheap to set up. I've used a PC based mag strip reader/recorder/writer - for legitimate stuff. They are not expensive; I doubt the phone/tablet based units are either. They probably come with software to accomplish the deed as well, so no great tech sophistication would be needed, just the nerve to pull it off.

Sent from a handheld tracking device on a remote body of water in SE Alabama.

Boolit Buddy
    Giving some stranger at the door your debit card with pin number - what could possibly go wrong First I hear about such scam, thanks for heads up !

Boolit Master
    There were so many red flags there.

No matter what you do, there is someone out there figuring out how to steal from you, 24/7. I had someone hit me with a card reader, in line, at a local restaurant. I had another piece of trash hit my “secure” YukonXL Denali in the parking lot of SAM’s with an eltronic opener. Took my phone and 380. So much for living in a tourist / beach resort, also attracts pro thieves to the honey. No one has been seen or caught on either deal.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers