RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .357 for revolver and rifle.

Boolit Master

Just as an aside, while it isn't likely to be quite as long-term sturdy for hot loads as the Marlins and later design Winchesters, the feed system of the Uberti 1873 Winchester clones is basically a ride up in an elevator followed by a straight shove into the chamber without the nose up / tip down process of the later designs. As long as you've got SOME taper, there's little stopping a successful chambering.

Downside is you're pretty much an irons-only affair.

There is also the Ruger 77/357, if bolt guns are more your thing.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I have a 1894 in 44 Mag I put a new carrier in and really like it, 1976 year of manufacture. One in 357 would be great, prices are a little higher right now. Would make a nice pair .

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have a rifle but I would like to pass along my two pet 357 Magnum loads developed for a Ruger Blackhawk in 1971 . Lyman # 358156 , 155 or 158 grain cast SWC w/ GC , cast of 50/50 COWW/soft range scrap , air cooled , sized .358" , Lithium-Beeswax Lube .

1.) Powder charge : 7.0 grains Unique = 1090 fps
    2.) Powder charge : 6.5 grains Unique = 1010 fps

Load #1's first group was 6 shots @ 75' ... a "cloverleaf group" that could be covered by a quarter !!! WINNER
    Load #2 is a little lighter for plinking , target and tin cans ...it gives good groups but #1 is still my all time " Pet" accuracy load .
    In a rifle , load #1 should do very nicely .
    Be sure and use the gas check !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Awesome info thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I have a S&W 686-7 and a couple of Henry's in .357,o ne brass and one blue. I tried several weights in SWC crimped with the first driving band outside the case. When crimped in the crimp groove these would hang on the driving band when cycling in the Henry's. So, I got an MP 359640 mold. When crimp in the upper crimp groove these feed in the Henry's and is long enough in the S&W cylinder chambers. The rifles shoot these bollits very accurately with just about any powder charge. The 686-7 shoots a lot better than I can, cause I ain't Annie Oakley's brother. Cousin ether for that matter.
    Good luck with your search.
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Banned

Had .357mag in both revolver (GP100) and rifle (Henry s/s H015), fun guns.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    My combo is a Uberti 357 Bisley and a Henry Big Boy Steel with Skinner peep sight. I don't want the hot but rather moderate. For 357 brass my boolit selection is the Lee 125 and 158 grain RNFP. For 38 special, it's the Ideal/Lyman 358-311 158 grain RN - in my Henry that boolit in a 38 spl. casing feeds like melted butter.

For the shooting I do, I like the option of being able to use both 38 spl. and 357 pistol/rifle combo. With the 358-311 RN working best in my rifle in 38 spl. brass and the Lee 125 & 158 RNFP working best in the rifle in 357 brass, the boolit profile difference allows me to tell at a quick glance what the cartridge is.

Boolit Buddy
    We really like the conical flat points in our assorted lever guns. Some levers are sensitive to bullet (overall) length more than bullet shape. Good luck with 140 gr, 125 gr, and 180 gr. Mild loads.
    Last edited by PAndy; 07-11-2021 at 02:17 PM.

Just called the S&W performance center and they are not taking any work. Anyone want to recommend a smith to have the 586 refinished ? I’m not worried about decreasing value, this gun will stay in the family, I just want it restored .
    Thanks again

Boolit Master
    158 grain over 7 grains of HS-6.

Boolit Man
    For 38s, Lee 158 rfn and MP 158 swc`s feed well in my 92. If you cycle the action slowly, it'll feed MP 148 wadcutters crimped at the groove.

Freaking love that rifle.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    If the carbine you chose doesn't like heavy bullets like the LBT 185 grain , I'd suggest the Lyman 160 grain "cowboy" style . My carbine will handle either one and my four inch 686 really likes the 185 bullet in .38 special with a good charge of Unique .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

My Marlin 1894 likes the 158 grain Hornady XTP under some H110 and the 158 grain RCBS gas checked .357 bullet under 15.9 grains of H110. Both loads shoot to the same point of impact at 100 yards and are pretty accurate for a lever gun. The cast bullet load works just fine in my GP100 and Security Six. I think rifle/pistol combinations make a great deal of sense.

I think rifle/pistol combinations make a great deal of sense. Me too.

Boolit Buddy
    My favorite mold for my 357’s is a NOE .359 - 173 gr. It is just a double & has 1 Pb & 1 GC. My 357 rifle is a Henry SS & it seems to like the heavy boolits best. They shoot fine in my Vaquero also.

Don't ignore single shots or combination guns, admittedly not the more "findable" or affordable choice, they don't have the feeding issues and are friendlier for heavy bullets.

While another that isn't as easy to find but is quite nice, a friend's Winchester 94 seems to eat anything, with its longer 30-30 length action.

If they fit your guns the 200 grainers can really shine:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Rtakd3O2OACONG
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsmith13 View Post
    Just called the S&W performance center and they are not taking any work. Anyone want to recommend a smith to have the 586 refinished ? I’m not worried about decreasing value, this gun will stay in the family, I just want it restored .
    Thanks again
    Try Valley Gun Works in North East, PA.

https://www.valleygunworks.com/
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Thanks centershot

Boolit Buddy
    I also heard good things about that shop in Northeast, PA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12