Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McDonald's or Trucker? Nearly same pay here.

Boolit Master

McDonald's or Trucker? Nearly same pay here.

Was looking for a local trucking job and Busch Distributors had an ad for a bulk truck driving job. Needed a Class B CDL, tanker and hazmat endorsements, had to be able to lift 100 lbs, and occasionally 400 lb barrels. Started at $16 an hour.

Just went through the local McDonald's and they had a sign saying they needed help and started at $15 an hour.

Crazy to think that some 16 yr old kid slinging burgers can start the same as a man driving a fuel truck. Seems wrong to me.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    "occasionally 400 lb barrels"!!!!!!!
    Holy flying monkeys!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    "occasionally 400 lb barrels"!!!!!!!
    Holy flying monkeys!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    From their website:

Occasionally: Lift 120 pounds

Rarely: Lay down/stand up 400 pound barrel (there is a technique, not dead lifting 400 lbs.)
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

I'm pretty sure there is a typo. It must be $26 an hour. Truck drivers are in huge demand, nobody would take that job.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I'm pretty sure there is a typo. It must be $26 an hour. Truck drivers are in huge demand, nobody would take that job.
    That's how it is around here. Wages have always been suppressed for some reason. And the town that company is based in just set a new record for the median home price of $400k.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    The same company has Class A fuel tanker positions available at their Spokane office, 85 miles North, starting at $27 an hour. It's just this area with two colleges that they can pay horrible wages because of an endless supply of educated temp workers that are easily replaced and are happy making enough to pay rent and buy beer.

Our local McDonald's is closing early because they can't get employees for all shifts.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Our local McDonald's is closing early because they can't get employees for all shifts.
    I'd say that might be a "community service".

Yeah, $16/hr for that? That'd be a hard no from me. Guess where I won't be living?

Boolit Grand Master
    My friend started at $20/hr with Holland Freight a couple of months ago, and he has great medical and 401k. He does not have a CDL and is driving a box truck and doing "local" deliveries within 50 miles or so of town. He loves it. Expects to be over $25/hr when he gets his CDL and the company is paying for his training.

McD's here is starting at up to $13/hr.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    regardless of pay what about quality go life though a job. if you ever worked in a restaurant it gets really gross after a while the nasty rank smells will permeate your clothing and run a foul of your senses. never been a truck driver but it gets you out and about in the world, moving and lifting can help keep you in good physical condition. 400lb barrel on a proper barrel dolly is not a big deal if your in decent physical shape

Boolit Master
    Many moons ago I worked at MacD's and it's really not much of a job. More like mind-numbing repetition and too much junk food. In a few more years I'll retire from my current job of Industrial Service Technician and I won't miss the heavy lifting or the filth but I'll be damned glad I didn't waste 40-plus years at McDonalds.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Local restaurant chain is advertising on the radio for dishwashers @ $19/hour including medical, 401K and signing bonus. Hard to imagine anyone working for less than $20 in this neck of the woods.

Central Maine has help wanted signs up everywhere one looks. Burger flippers start at $15 or $16/hr. Pizza delivery started at over $20. That's what happens when the feds pay people to stay home. But the America hating mentally deficient fraudulently elected president says that's not what's doing it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    That's how it is around here. Wages have always been suppressed for some reason. And the town that company is based in just set a new record for the median home price of $400k.
    I just randomly picked a town south of Spokane, Moscow in this case. The second job on Indeed is a Library assistant, $22-$27 per hour. I then looked for "drivers", and there are all kinds of CDL driving positions in the area in the mid to upper 20's and hour. "The man" isn't keeping you guys down, it's simple supply and demand. Thankfully skilled labor is in high demand. I'd be thankful no-skill jobs like McDonalds is offering such a reasonable wage.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    regardless of pay what about quality go life though a job. if you ever worked in a restaurant it gets really gross after a while the nasty rank smells will permeate your clothing and run a foul of your senses. never been a truck driver but it gets you out and about in the world, moving and lifting can help keep you in good physical condition. 400lb barrel on a proper barrel dolly is not a big deal if your in decent physical shape

Never wanted to work in the food service industry. Something about it always grossed me out. I was okay with being up to my elbows in grease and oil though.

Boolit Master
    You have to take in the " living wage " idiots into account. When I was working I got into the minimum wage argument with one of the die hard union guys. Who's to determine what a fair minimum wage is,my argument was I thought that $50 an hour seems fair but when you take in account that all your prices for consumer goods,tradesmen and will have to go up considerably to pay that wage $50 an hour especially for mom and pop businesses that hire the majority of workers they just go out of business.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    My friend started at $20/hr with Holland Freight a couple of months ago, and he has great medical and 401k. He does not have a CDL and is driving a box truck and doing "local" deliveries within 50 miles or so of town. He loves it. Expects to be over $25/hr when he gets his CDL and the company is paying for his training.

McD's here is starting at up to $13/hr.
    Same here. Just looked up a few ads and CDL drivers can easily get $26+. Local fast food is around $13 per hour.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Was looking for a local trucking job and Busch Distributors had an ad for a bulk truck driving job. Needed a Class B CDL, tanker and hazmat endorsements, had to be able to lift 100 lbs, and occasionally 400 lb barrels. Started at $16 an hour.

Just went through the local McDonald's and they had a sign saying they needed help and started at $15 an hour.

Crazy to think that some 16 yr old kid slinging burgers can start the same as a man driving a fuel truck. Seems wrong to me.
    seems to me that anyone with the skills needed to be a bulk truck driver
    would even work for 16.00 an hour
    a bunch of requirements even to drive and they do ad to the employees resume and skill set
    seems like someone is trying to hire and not pay qualified workers what they are worth
    like you said anyone can flip burgers
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Removed post
    Last edited by jonp; 07-03-2021 at 05:43 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum