Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you remove cast bullet lube??

Boolit Mold
    Put them on a rag and use heat gun to melt lube. Wipe off and dump in gas ( may hear them sizzle when they hit the gas)and stir around with paint brush. Remove and rinse in clean gas again . Dry and ready to powder coat..quick and easy..
    Last edited by jerryp; 07-01-2021 at 10:23 PM.

Boolit Master

Acetone. Put the boolits in a glass jar, cover with acetone and cap tightly. The lube will dissolve.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

Just not worth it man. Most lube makes good flux. In my mind, if they were good enough to shoot BEFORE you started PC'ing, they're good enough now. Believe me, I know the dilemma. I went a little nuts when I started casting and I'm sitting on well over 2,000 158 gr Lee TL pills. I hate working and loading TL bullets now. So gunky and smokey. At this rate, I might shoot them all by 2040.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    Just not worth it man. Most lube makes good flux. In my mind, if they were good enough to shoot BEFORE you started PC'ing, they're good enough now. Believe me, I know the dilemma. I went a little nuts when I started casting and I'm sitting on well over 2,000 158 gr Lee TL pills. I hate working and loading TL bullets now. So gunky and smokey. At this rate, I might shoot them all by 2040.
    You'll always have some smoke with TL, but if you bullets are "gunky", that is, sticky, your formula for the TL is wrong or you're using too much of it.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    You'll always have some smoke with TL, but if you bullets are "gunky", that is, sticky, your formula for the TL is wrong or you're using too much of it.
    But then they won't have those faaaabulous pretty colors to show off. Never mind that TL easier and works better.

I found a commercial source years ago for hard cast RCBS 200 FP with a plain base (PB), ordered 1 K put them back. Then the RCBS mould for the PB was discontinued, so I used an old metal 3 pound coffee can with a sealing lid and poured acetone in on top of about 300 and rolled the can around. Poured it off and refilled, rolled again and the bullets came out ready to PC.
    I shoot them in my 358 MGP AR at near 2,600 fps. Since then I found a Saeco iron mould for their copy of the RCBS 200g FN PB bullet, so away we go.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

My shooting partner and I have what's left of a huge order of cast bullets we bought back during the first Clinton administration. Some of them now have the lube falling out, at least partially, so for those bullets I want to give this a try. No idea what they are lubed with. Whatever the hard blue lube from back then was.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Anybody have any success removing BLL?
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doughty View Post
    Anybody have any success removing BLL?
    Acetone.

unknown

OK will give it a try. Thanks.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12