WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Latest Lyman Product

Boolit Master

Latest Lyman Product

I have a lot of orange product in my loading work room but have recently acquired my first set of Lyman reloading dies for the 38-55 Winchester. I purchased the dies on Midway and have had them sitting since June 9th until all of the necessary components came in to make my reloads. Today when using the Lyman dies for the first time I was attempting to adjust the included "M-Die" expander plug when I noticed that the threaded portion of the expander plus is bent.

Now somebody had to screw that thing into the plug base and you couldn't have done that without realizing the darn thing wobbled horribly. I also just realized that the usual "packed by" and "inspected by" insert was not included in the die set like they are in all my other Lyman products.

I have sent an email off to Lyman to see if they will send me a new expander plug since that is the only thing wrong with the product. I would hate to have to PAY again to send them a defective part when photographic and video evidence is clearly showing the defect.

I am really surprised that a defect like this can make it out of the factory to be honest with you. I know the manufactures are running in production overload right now but if this is the expected quality we are going to get - SLOW DOWN!

After this interaction with Lyman and this die set, I am a little hesitant to purchase another Lyman product. Let's see how they handle my inquiry with their "Superior Customer Service" first.

The wobble:
    https://youtu.be/BWXYwdUyBwg

Attachment 285243 Attachment 285244
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 06-28-2021 at 07:44 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Some time ago, 2-3 years at the most. I purchased a set of carbide 9mm and 357/38 Lyman 3 die sets. The quality just wasn’t there. Lyman is a shell of its former self. I returned them to midway within the return window and ordered a set of Redding from Brownells. Best decision ever!
    Last edited by zarrinvz24; 06-27-2021 at 12:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    Some time ago, 2-3 years at the most. I purchased a set of carbide 9mm and 357/38 Lyman 3 die sets. The quality just wasn’t there. Lyman is a shell of its former self. I returned them to midway within the return window and ordered a set of Redding from Brownells. Best decision ever!
    Were it not for the fact that these dies are as scarce as hens teeth right now, I would have begun that process today. When I ordered them, Midway reported 3 in stock. As you know, reloading tools and supplies are hard to come by right now. The scarcity has driven the scarcity even more. It seems to be snowballing.

Boolit Buddy
    I hear you. Brownells will allow you to back order, and I’ve not had to wait too terribly long. 6 weeks at most. If not lookup accurate arms. They are one of the Redding master distributors, however they are currently operating on 10-14 week back order. Another option if your open to is it to give CH-4D a call. I’ve purchased several things right off the shelf during the last 3 months. Prices have been fair and I’ve got it within 3 days.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    another option if your open to is it to give ch-4d a call.
    ch-4d?

I've been dealing with Lyman trying to get some parts to re-furbish several of their reloading dies. Hopefully the missing part from my last order will show up when back-order fulfills.

RCBS, Redding & CH4D are super helpful & easy to work with - this I know from experience. I've not had any dealings with Lee or Hornady. From now on, I'm going to avoid Lyman products (at least their dies) like the plague!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.ch4d.com/

Anything you could possibly need is there, but if you need to place a custom order the wait is currently 2 years. With that being said, I’ve been able to find everything I’ve needed: 12ga brass shotshell dies, and a .310 rifle M-die sizer ready to go on the shelf. Pay and I’ve got it in hand in 2 days.

For me, Redding is my go-to. If they don’t make it, to Ch-4D is the next stop. I’ve not had to go beyond those two yet.

Boolit Master

It has been several years since I have bought anything new from Lyman. I have many Lyman and Ideal products from the 40's and up that have been first rate. It is sad to see a good company let its self go down hill.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    All the classic companies have done this. Winchester folded in the 80’s, Colt has had a very long history with money issues, and recently was sold to Cz. Redfield, Weaver, Remington…. SAECO, the list goes on. Lyman in its present form seems to be more concerned with selling gimmicks and products for the average shooter. Casting and micrometer sights are definitely way out in the spectrum that most shooters have no idea about. Sad but this site has done a lot to keep the knowledge around.

Banned
    I'm not a fan of Lyman and agree they went to hell in a handbasket many years ago. recently their customer service is starting to get better.

I have a lot of Lyman and Ideal molds that I enjoy BUT I am not ready to sink any kind of money into Lyman products yet.

Boolit Master
    Well I'll be. I got home today and pulled email. Lyman has shipped a replacement part today at my request. I didn't have to send anything back or deal with any nonsense. I have to say, that IS customer service and deserves posting! I think I'll still order a different diameter sizing plug from one of our members to see how that works. Some days everything just works out right. Thanks Lyman!

Boolit Grand Master

CH4D , Redding and in all honesty , for the price, Lee Dies are not that bad .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    CH4D , Redding and in all honesty , for the price, Lee Dies are not that bad .
    Gary
    IMHO, Lee's dies are good at any price.

Ammo is made inside the dies; the externals of Lee's dies aren't very purty but they work as well as any other. It costs elitist users a lot of money to buy the useless but purty externals of other dies!

NOE makes m style plugs that fit in the Lee universal expander die.
    NOE also makes thier own universal die and plugs.
    They make them in various sizes for each caliber.
    The NOE plugs for te NOE die are a bit less than the ones for the Lee die. NOE's die cost a bit more si it kinda balances out.
    I have the Lee die with several diameters for the cartridges I load cast in. I lke them alot.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    In fairness, my loading bench is chock full of Red, Orange, Green, and Blue loading equipment. All of it has been very useful and produces ammunition that performs better than I can at the range. The issue right now, and will be for a while yet, is availability of whatever you may need. A simple part from any one of the major producers can be back ordered for months. The "Mom & Pop" craftsmen are swamped too since the larger manufacturers are so backlogged and that portion of the business has migrated to the lesser known suppliers and home craftsmen.

I have been extremely happy with all of the tools used while reloading. Some of the hand tools work better than others and some should just be pulled off the market. Most of us have a very broad working knowledge of these tools but even with 40 years of loading experience, I didn't know of CH4D until a few days ago. I recall seeing their web site years ago while searching for one thing or another but it never clicked in my head as a primary source. What I had works so no need to replace anything with something "better."

Every issue I have had with a major producer piece of equipment has been resolved in a satisfactory and timely manner. Unlike most manufacturers, the Blue, Red, Orange, and Green folks are pretty responsive. Even without that, if you buy their stuff on Midway or Graf, for example, they will back up the products they have sold you.

Some stuff is a Mom and Pop deal only. I buy beeswax from them. I buy gas checks for oddball calibers from them. I buy other weird tools from them like cylinder loaders for my C&B revolvers. It's amazing to see the quality of their work and in most cases I end up scratching my head in amazement that I hadn't thought of that. Without a machine shop and years of experience, I turn to those members who have this skill and ability to turn out specialty items.

Man I love this hobby.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    IIRC - I read about a similar issue with a new Lyman M die somewhere else on this site a while ago?

I have a number of Lyman die sets and I like them - BUT - they are all vintage sets. I have Lyman M dies for all of my cartridges I load but have never received one with the issues you experienced with the one you got in your die set - that should never have left the factory that way and a two year old would recognize that it wasn't right.

Every manufacturer can have QC issues and at least they took care of it. While I have used Lyman M dies for a long time - having added some new cartridges to the line-up, I recently ordered and received a selection of the NOE expander plugs used with the Lee Universal flair die - very happy with them and if I were just starting out, I would go that route. Doesn't help when an M die is part of a set, but many of my expanding dies in my die sets - Lyman, RCBS, Lee, CH, etc. will be parked in favor of the Lee die body with the NOE expanding plugs.

Glad you got the die part and hope you enjoy your 38-55!

Boolit Master
    I’ve only ever had one experience with Lymans service dept a few years ago and it was as good as any other company I’ve ever dealt with.