Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best sausage stuffer

Boolit Grand Master

The best sausage stuffer

This is a question for those of you who have tried a sausage stuffer both as a kit for a meat grinder, and as a stand alone unit. In the past I had always lived within 100 miles of my parents, and it had always been tradition for our family to go there for processing meat, and smoking. For years and years we all used the same meat grinder. It is fairly large, I think a #32; it was originally a hand crank, but it has always been driven by an electric motor for us. That same grinder has also served to stuff sausages as well. For years and years I used it, and I honestly can not imagine a more perfect thing for the job. Either last year, or the year before we had broke the plastic casing horn, and being a holiday, we could not find where to buy one quickly. So dad took out his antique sausage stuffer, a curved press, looks like a powder horn. It's pretty simple. Meat is stuffed in it, and a ram pushes it out the other end. We used it, and it worked fine. It was messy, as a lot of meat got around the ram every push. It didn't have much volume, so you only got a handful of brats per push. I would use it again, but I would always choose the meat grinder over it.

Now being a state away, I'm looking to buy my own equipment. Early this week I was looking to buy a meat grinder, but was unable to find one made in USA in the store. I had one online in mind, and asked about a sausage stuffing set for a #12 grinder. The guy at the store looked at me like I was growing horns out my forehead. The short version is that they didn't sell them, and he is really confused why anyone would willingly use them. He did have a few dedicated sausage stuffers he wanted to sell, all made in China.

I bought the USA made grinder online, a smaller version of the one my dad has used for decades, and began searching for sausage stuffers. I was really surprised to find a huge number of people have the same opinion the guy from the store did. The more searching I did, the more people I found that thought making sausage through a meat grinder is a very slow and tedious process. Here's the thing that has got me, most videos that show sausage making with a grinder are insanely slow. I really don't get it. All I ever used was a plain old grinder with a sausage making plate, and a tube. Slide the casing on (I've tried a few, and always come back to lamb), and I could have 6' of it filled in a minute or two tops. The grinder was not turning fast, it is driven by a slow gear box. I doubt it turns the grinder more than 1 RPM.

This is the danger of the internet. Suddenly decades of complete success and contentment has got me wondering if I am missing something. There's no way I'll buy one of those horn style sausage stuffers. I am intrigued by these big vintage presses, often doubling as fruit presses. The most common seems to be made by Enterprise, and I've seen reference that they held the patent originally. There are at least two modern version that are near copies. One made by Cast Rite, which appears an identical copy. I almost choked when I saw the nearly $600 price tag. The other is a stainless steel version made by The Sausage Maker, with an also very high price of $280. There are a lot of similar made in China sorta-copies with plastic gears and parts as well.

My question to those of you who have used both a meat grinder and a dedicated sausage stuffer. Is a dedicated sausage stuffer worth the price? If I buy one, I'm keeping my eye out for a vintage one, and I think I should be able to eventually find one around $100. I require they be made in USA, I will not compromise on this.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a 5 pound vertical stuffer, plenty for my use. All stainless including the gears. But not USA made...

Boolit Master

I tried every way, including the curved one you mentioned and I must say, a dedicated unit is the way to go. I got a Cabelas sausage stuffer, the 5lb size, it is currently on clearance for $74.77. With the 5lb capacity I can stuff an entire summer sausage casing in one go, which is what I mainly use it for. Others may make much more sausage so a bigger one may suit them better, but the 5lb one is just fine for most people. The "new" ones just cover the gears, or motorize it, but this one works great if you clamp it down with the included clamps or bolt it down. One hand turns the crank while the other holds the casing.
    https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabe...ausage-stuffer
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

I can't really help with your question but that won't stop me.

I have an Ankarsrum Assistent (not a typo) and it's anything but slow. It's alot faster than the wife and I can go so I have to slow it down. I just put a sausage stuffing tube on the end of the grinder. If your grinder is a standard size I can't believe you can't find a sausage tube for under $20 online. If it's slow so what? You're not going into production, right?

Just something to consider.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	136049C2-D00D-4566-AFBD-24EAFA9084C6.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	285169I’ve got a 15 pounder (actually more like 13 lbs) I’ve stuffed miles of sausage with. Relatively inexpensive, think I got it from Northern Tool on sale about 10 years ago.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BF8B8F29-BCD3-46C8-A849-6F3A89170485.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	285168
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    I bought a grinder stuffer attachment for my wife's big kitchenaid stand mixer years ago. It's about as much work as I want to do. I have a bigger electric one in storage I have never used.

With the grinder, it does get ground one more time. With a straight up stuffer once you have the grind and mix you desire. You can spread it out on a table, season it. Fry up a little ball of it to see how that changes the flavors. When your happy you can stuff without grinding one last time.

I've done it every which way it can be done. If you do a single coarse grind, then mix and season and grind and stuff one last time it works well.

It comes down to what you prefer. It will all make sausage. So what is most convenient for you?
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master
    Buy all my stuff at Waltons Meats
    good quality stuff and stuffers
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    With the grinder, it does get ground one more time. With a straight up stuffer once you have the grind and mix you desire. You can spread it out on a table, season it. Fry up a little ball of it to see how that changes the flavors. When your happy you can stuff without grinding one last time.

I've done it every which way it can be done. If you do a single coarse grind, then mix and season and grind and stuff one last time it works well.

It comes down to what you prefer. It will all make sausage. So what is most convenient for you?
    With the sausage stuffing plate on a grinder, there is no grinding at all. The plate is nothing but the bushing to hold the end of the auger, and it has the biggest cut outs possible. There is no meat being ground or chopped. You don't even use the blade. All it is is the auger moving the meat into a casing.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	136049C2-D00D-4566-AFBD-24EAFA9084C6.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	285169I’ve got a 15 pounder (actually more like 13 lbs) I’ve stuffed miles of sausage with. Relatively inexpensive, think I got it from Northern Tool on sale about 10 years ago.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BF8B8F29-BCD3-46C8-A849-6F3A89170485.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	285168
    Have you tried using a meat grinder to stuff sausage? What didn't you like about it?

I use one of those big powder horn, lever type and it seals real well.
    Your old one might be missing the rubber/plastic disc that goes on the front of the ram.

I broke the plastic filler tube on mine and made a new one by carefully
    hammering a flare onto the end of a piece of 3/4" copper tubing.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Weston #12 grinder that I use for both grinding and stuffing. It works pretty well at stuffing but it's a 2 person job. It takes 1 person to feed the grinder and push the sausage down and 1 person to control the casings while filling. While just grinding it pushes it through pretty much on it's own, but once it's ground and you are stuffing, it is much harder to get it to move the meat by itself. That's why a 2nd person is needed to put pressure on it to keep it moving. I have thought about a dedicated stuffer but didn't feel it was worth the extra expense and room to store it for all the more I use it. I had been looking at the Walton's stuffers. They seemed to have good reviews, although I am not sure if they're US made. waltonsinc.com

Just checked their website and under Q&A, someone asked about being made in USA and they replied made in China. So might not fit your needs but maybe the info on using the grinder as a stuffer will still be helpful.
    Last edited by hawkenhunter50; 06-26-2021 at 03:43 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Not really, as I've been using a grinder to stuff sausages for many years. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Dad has had a Chop-Rite grinder for decades that we used. Now I bought a #12 Cast-Rite. They are made in USA.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 06-26-2021 at 12:42 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    What is most important is how you will preserve the sausage. If you are going to eat it quickly or freeze it, it doesn’t make a big difference. However, if you want to hang sausage to dry, like in the old days, it’s important to minimize the amount of air trapped inside the sausage meat. The piston type stuffer tend to do a better job, as long as you do your part.

A bit of personal advice, grind your meat into large pieces and add a minimum of 1/3 fat. The fat is where all the taste is.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    With the sausage stuffing plate on a grinder, there is no grinding at all. The plate is nothing but the bushing to hold the end of the auger, and it has the biggest cut outs possible. There is no meat being ground or chopped. You don't even use the blade. All it is is the auger moving the meat into a casing.
    Well obviously times have changed since I made sausage.

The only stuffers I have worked with still had the blades and grate in place, but the horn was added on. Clipped into 3 rivets.

So in that case there is no downside.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I have a 5 pound vertical stuffer, plenty for my use. All stainless including the gears. But not USA made...
    same here. i make enough that i could use a bigger/better, but can't justify the upgrade to save an hour or so.

WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

I used to be good at stuffing a sausage, but that was a long time ago.....

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    What is most important is how you will preserve the sausage. If you are going to eat it quickly or freeze it, it doesn’t make a big difference. However, if you want to hang sausage to dry, like in the old days, it’s important to minimize the amount of air trapped inside the sausage meat. The piston type stuffer tend to do a better job, as long as you do your part.

A bit of personal advice, grind your meat into large pieces and add a minimum of 1/3 fat. The fat is where all the taste is.
    That's something I never really thought of. While I don't notice much for air, one would think a grinder would have more potential for air than a press. 90% or better of what I make are smoked, and the plain ones I let set in the fridge for a day. All of them are frozen immediately after. In the past we used to go crazy with fat, especially pork. We even mixed deer with pork 50/50. I was never that enthusiastic, and now I prefer to add very little. Deer I do had about 1/4 by weight of pork trimmings from the local butcher, which are highly fat. The black bear I got last year was the finest meat I have ever had. I added NOTHING to my black bear, and it made the most fantastic brats. Generally for seasonings I make two big batches, and one experimental. I do something different every time. My favorites almost always end up being something along the lines of a hot teriyaki. I love adding ground ghost pepper.

I'm still looking for someone who has tried both a decent grinder (not a kitchenaid add-on) as well as a dedicated stuffer.

Boolit Master

I haven't made any sausage in a couple of years due to health issues. I have a Thunderbird #12. It is a beast. I have 2 Enterprise lard/fruit presses. I believe a 4 qt and an 8 qt., not sure of their capacity. They will make sausage like quick. My grandson and I processed a deer for 1 of his friends who didn't have the means to. We made about 40 lbs. Of sausage in less than an hour in grinding, and after letting it sit overnight, stuffed it in no time at all. Just made rope sausage, not links. A good place to look for anything about butchering/sausage making is www.alliedkenco.com
    Whether it's worth the money is how much are you going to use it? I used mine a lot. Still plan on making sausage with mine in the future.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    I haven't made any sausage in a couple of years due to health issues. I have a Thunderbird #12. It is a beast. I have 2 Enterprise lard/fruit presses. I believe a 4 qt and an 8 qt., not sure of their capacity. They will make sausage like quick. My grandson and I processed a deer for 1 of his friends who didn't have the means to. We made about 40 lbs. Of sausage in less than an hour in grinding, and after letting it sit overnight, stuffed it in no time at all. Just made rope sausage, not links. A good place to look for anything about butchering/sausage making is www.alliedkenco.com
    Whether it's worth the money is how much are you going to use it? I used mine a lot. Still plan on making sausage with mine in the future.
    So you have tried both a grinder and a sausage stuffing press? What didn't you like about using the grinder? What did you like more about the press?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast