Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stand or sit

In my basement casting area I have a computer chair I sit at to cast. But I wear long pants, long sleeved shirt and leather shoes.

Smelting, while I might have a chair near for the waiting. Once things are hot I'd be standing, with gloves on.

Wool is good, cotton only so so, polyester is terrible, it shrinks, melts and sticks to skin.
    Prior Planning Prevents Poor Results.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    My back likes it better when I stand which I started doing recently. Getting the pot at the right height helps a bunch. So far I have not suffered any serious burns.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    not an option due to years of abuse to my knees, have to sit. Wear a leather apron and gloves I got at a blacksmith's closing sale (farrier ) with knees and feet under my steel bench well protected.

Boolit Master
    I sit both casting and loading. Found a couple of bar stools at a yard sale and cut them down as high as I needed for my work bench in the shop and my loading bench in the people cave.

Spinal stenosis. I have to sit, because I can't stand straight long enough to shave. (I don't, anymore.) But I was casting sitting long before my back went bad.

I've always worn boots, with jeans outside. Anything that spills will go straight to the floor. I also have a 5 gallon bucket of water within reach to douse any burn I might inflict. Have always had the pot screwed down so I can't inadvertently drag it off the bench.

Having taken such precautions, I've never spilled a drop of molten lead. But the day I let my guard down, it'll happen.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Two things it is not advisable to do naked: 1. Cast boolits. and 2. Fry bacon.

Robert
    I think I have been burned more by bacon splatters then lead mishaps over the past 45+ years. The only serious mishap happen when I first started. While STANDING at the stove in the kitchen, melting in an old vegetable can, I introduced some lead with moisture trapped in it and got the obligatory steam explosion. Small piece caught me under the eye large glob on the fridge just behind my head. My wife made me buy my first electric melting pot after that.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Boy. You all are OLD.

Boolit Master
    I have heard thru the galena grape vine that Wilco has been caught casting in a euro thong a couple of times, but have not been able to substantiate this!!!

Boolit Master

Reload sitting but cast standing. I have been known to use a tall stool as an assist when casting but I wear a welders jacket instead of a shirt and use a leather apron also. Can't be too careful.
    God Bless, Whisler

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    Boy. You all are OLD.
    Yes, Many of us are old, but old age is a blessing that not all get to experience. I feel blessed (86)

Boolit Master
    Stand to cast, sit to load due to the bench height. I prefer to stand most of the time anyway, and set up my pot for the correct work height.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    Yes, Many of us are old, but old age is a blessing that not all get to experience. I feel blessed (86)
    How true. Every day I wake up sucking air is a good day! Some would say I am old too but I sure don't believe it.

I stand by the way. Tried to sit but didn't have the reach or mobility I seemed to need to cast and reload with ease. Eventually I may need to sit and if that's what it takes to keep at it, them sit I will.

I'm 81. I started casting & loading in 1960. Back then my position (standing or sitting) wasn't an issue. Now my feet & knees are in good condition, but my neck isn't (too many trips over the handlebars).

I stand now: loading & casting.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I sat to reload for a while , it was nice while doing a couple 1,000 size and flair but I found that I was more easily distracted that way ........ Just me I guess . As of now I stand for both , after a couple of hours of either I walk around a little and can do another set .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

It's a lot easier on my back for long sessions like that if I stand and can move around, both casting and reloading.

New knee and shoulder but also am developing a neck issue. 12 sessions of physical therapy helped a lot but can’t do that 3x a week forever. Tried my first session with a massage therapist last week, was relaxing but not as helpful as I had hoped. I’ll give her another shot. Went to my cas club’s match today. One miss and still came in in the middle of our small bunch. Nice day. Getting old ain’t for wussies.

Boolit Master
    i sit but wear a leather apron just in case ,dont want a lap of hot lead.

Boolit Master

Old and arthritic but I still stand.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master

Like many, I sit while casting. Leather boots, long cotton pants over the boots, long sleeve cotton shirt, glove at least on the hand I use for opening sprue plates, safety glasses, baseball cap, HF welder’s apron. The apron has caught a few boolits and sprues so it’s worth wearing. It’s not that I’m a safety freak; just had a friend have a bad tinsel fairy visit and enough brief contacts with hot metal to not want any more.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I started casting sitting and have not got off my bum since. I stand for reloading.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast