Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Triple Seven in .410 shotgun?

Boolit Bub

Triple Seven in .410 shotgun?

I have a couple of pounds of 777 left over from muzzle loaders I used to hunt with. It seems I read somewhere that I could use Hodgon Triple Seven for shotguns, specifically the 410. I have an H&R single shot that I'd like to try using Triple Seven in. This would be something for the grandkids to plink with.
    I did an internet search and found nothing on this.
    Does any one there have a link to data?
    Thank you for your time.

Boolit Buddy

Hodgon Triple Seven is a back powder substitute!

I would search for 410 black powder loads ... and then substitute the BP powder charge with Triple Seven.

One of the main BP shotgun loads was equal grains of black powder (or Triple Seven) and shot by volume.

Boolit Bub
    Good tip. I'll follow up.

Boolit Master
    https://goexpowder.com/wp-content/up...-sg-shells.pdf.

Use about 35 to 40 grains of powder as measured in a regular black powder volumetric measure. If you have Lee Dippers, the 2.5 cc dipper should be dandy. Depending on which shot cup you have you may have to trim the petals so they don’t stick up beyond the crimp fold. Or you can just cut them off and use the base as a wad. Use enough shot to get a level shot load up to where the crimp begins. Tweak the powder and shot volumes as necessary to produce a good tight crimp. No lube needed. Don’t worry that 777 is “15% more powerful than black powder.” It’s not nuclear.

You are basically creating a long black powder .44/40 cartridge.
    Last edited by warren5421; 06-24-2021 at 09:34 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you warren5421. I didn't see this until I got home after the shoot, but good confirmation of what I learned.
    I called Hodgdon and the rep told me to use the one volume of 777 to the same volume of shot. I picked out a load of 1/2 oz shot. I do have the Lee Dippers and you were spot on, the 2.5 dipper was the one. You were also right, we had to trip up the shot cups a bit. The wad I was using was a bit too tall so I slightly reduced the shot volume to fit the case in order to achieve nice crimp. I was working with a Lanes Handloader teaching three kids ages 6, 8 & 9. They had a wonderful time loading and blasting a gallon paint can! The smoke just added to the experience.
    Maybe this will help the next guy.