WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: WC852 load data

Boolit Mold

WC852 load data

Does anyone have info on loads for wc852? I have @15lbs. that my dad gave me and I need reloading data for various calibers from 30-06 to 22-250. If anyone can help I would appreciate it very much. I have read previous threads but I am still uncertain....

Thanks,
    New guy

Moderator Emeritus

Wc852 depending on lot can be anywhere from H380 to H4831 in speed. First, ask your Father, he may know what it loaded as when he bought it. Failing that, the safe thing to do is to assume you have the fastest lot and use H380 starting data and see how it does. If velocities match H380 specified velocities - you have to assume you have the fast lot and use H380 data. If velocities are well below what h380 would produce, you can then move to the next slower powder (H4895) and try it with starting loads for it. If it matches H4895 velocities (within reason) you can assume it is a normal lot of wc852 and use H4895 starting data for it. If velocities are well below the expected using H4895 data, then you have a slow lot and should try 4831 starting data to see if you get a match. Most lots of wc852 fall somewhere between the three.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Wiljen is right on the mark. Many of Hodgdon's powders, especially ball powders, are made by Winchester (the WC part of the designation). Hodgdons blends lots of powder to produce canister powders that are of a consistent known burning rate. WC 852 in its blended canister form is H380. I have used several lots of this powder and it works great with one small caution. This ball powder is somewhat sensitive to temperature extremes such as we have here in Montana. A load that is OK at 50 degrees farenheight can be too hot, and cause case sticking, at 100 degrees in the summer shooting prairie dogs. Also, this same load that is OK at 50 degrees can be up to 100+ feet per second slower at zero or below. Otherwise, it is quite clean burning and makes nice snappy loads in the 22-250 and great 165gr loads in the 30-06.
    Good shooting
    Bearmn56
    Montana Territory

Boolit Master

Tell us your Lot number, and maybe somebody here has experience with it.

CDD

Boolit Master

Thanks wiljen,
    I also have a jug of 852 from the old days and was wondering how to deal with it.
    A quick trip to the range with the leeloader, chronograph and scale should sort it out in a few minutes!

Seems like I learn something new every time I read a new thread.

Jack

Boolit Mold

Thanks everyone....

No luck with the lot number. I guess I will have to start with H380 data and do this the long drawn out way. Thanks to everyone who posted. I'll post how it turned out.....

Smile

I've never known of a powder with as much lot to lot variation as WC852. You've got to do it cautiously, not knowing what you have.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."