Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Should I cover my lee pot to heat faster?

Boolit Mold

Should I cover my lee pot to heat faster?

Thinking maybe a piece of flashing or aluminum foil over the top would hold the heat in better? Good idea or not?

Boolit Bub
    As long as the pot isn't sealed tightly, like wrapped in aluminum foil...you should be ok. I would think it would help when bringing a pot up to temp when you first start from cold.

I built a lid for my RCBS Pro Melt. It makes a big difference.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by txshooter524 View Post
    Good idea or not?

In most situations not needed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by txshooter524 View Post
    Thinking maybe a piece of flashing or aluminum foil over the top would hold the heat in better? Good idea or not?
    You didn't mention the size, which I'd guess would make a little difference. My 2 Lee 10# pots heat up to casting temps in no more the 20 minutes. I do as someone here suggested and leave a quarter inch in the bottom of the pot when I am done. It does seem to speed up the heating process when I fire it up the next time, but I could be daft too.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Cast Boolits Owner

It is a good idea. I use kitty litter. Once my melt is cleaned and ready to go, I put a 1/2" layer of kitty litter on top. This seems to help keep the heat in better as I use a fan accross my back when casting and with the kitty litter on top, my pot can get hotter and stays more consistant temp wise. I would imagine your deal would work too. I do remember a post where the member made a sheet metal lid with a cut out for the rod assembly.

YMMV,
    Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Banned

i use a piece of sheet metal on all my pots it helps when adding metal too.
    just in case.

Boolit Master

+1 on NO 1's kitty litter, keeps the heat in, also acts as a flux and stops oxidation.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master

I put my mould on the rim of the pot and then cover the whole works with a layer of alum foil, shiny side down.
    It probably only saves a couple or three minutes of kilowatts, but I'm trying to cast as cheaply as possible.

Jack

Boolit Master

Gold cloth

If you have an industrial job, you have probably seen the fireproof cloth that the welders put down to catch sparks, slag, etc. We formerly used some stuff that was almost golden tan...hence gold cloth. The current product is a bright orange color. It is fireproof, but not heat proof. Most jobs are a one time usage and the cloth is pitched. I keep an eye out for it and salvage what I can.

Put a double layer over the top of your pot...and mold...to retain heat AND keep the tinsel fairy away. A single layer on the floor under the table and another on the table under your melting pot helps with clean up also.

Boolit Bub
    I forgot to mention that I do cover my pot in the summer with a piece of heavy duty wire cloth that looks like screen wire, but is made with much heavier wires. It keeps the bugs out that would result in a very bad explosion if they went for a dive. I made a short handle with a piece of one inch wide thin aluminum. On top of my Lee 20 pound bottom pour pot it stays cool enough to remove without gloves.

Boolit Master
    +1 to what jhrosier says. I find that aluminum foil heats mold and lead faster, and I can start casting good ones right away without having to waste time casting rejects 'till the mold gets hot enough. It is especially noticable with my four- and six- hole molds, which otherwise take several wasted casts to come up to temp.
    That kitty litter is a good idea, I'll have to try that. I have had problems with oxidation in the past, that should cure most of it.
    lathesmith

Boolit Buddy
    Bad Idea.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Be very careful here. I ran the temp up to 1300 degrees doing that once. Fortunately I was outside and had the thermometer sticking through the tin foil but is was definately vaporizing at that point.

Marc

Boolit Buddy
    Should have mentioned that I had left the pot unattended (big no no). If you cover the pot, keep a thermometer in and stay with it. Never let it get over the vaporizing level.

Marc

Boolit Master

Marc,
    I think that we were all assuming a pot with a thermostat. Even covered it would not go over the set temperature.

Jack

Boolit Master
    The boiling point of lead is 1620 C that is 2948 F. you were still over 1600 degrees below the boiling point. Oxidation and dust formation were definately higher though. Were you getting any frosting?
    I use kitty litter to keep a more constant temp. As to heating rates I just start a little sooner. Getting in a rush to relax seems a little counter productive.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Buddy
    I hear you Jack. I bought an RCBS pot right after that experience. Nice to have a built in thermo. I still use the Lee on occasion but keep it uncovered.

Marc

Boolit Buddy
    Rhead,
    I would never intentionally run the pot over 850 degrees so I unplugged the pot and ran away, quickly. Maybe some one with chemical experience can set me straight if I'm wrong here but Ive heard that metallic lead begins to vaporize at around 900 degrees.
    Last edited by Marc2; 01-06-2009 at 01:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc2 View Post
    Rhead,
    I would never intentionally run the pot over 850 degrees so I unplugged the pot and ran away, quickly. Maybe some one with chemical experience can set me straight if I'm wrong here but Ive heard that metallic lead begins to vaporize at around 900 degrees.

Marc, you need to get considerably hotter before you need to worry about vaporizing lead.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    My top is a tuna fish can. I cut a notch to clear the valve stem. The diameter is right.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.