Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a Barrel for a H&R SB2 frame

Made in U.S.A.

Building a Barrel for a H&R SB2 frame

I offer the following information for no other reason than to show others how I have gone about the problem of obtaining barrels for the SB2 frame that are not offered by H&R.

Most of the work to this date has been on straight wall black powder cartridges for the Buffalo Classic. This covers .32-40, .38-55, .40-65, .45-70 and .50-70.
    H&R Offers a .38-55 and .45-70 barrel but the rifling is very shallow and in my opinion
    just OK for cast bullets.

The biggest cost is also the part that needs to have the most attention – The Barrel Blank. The first barrel that I built was on a Douglas (304 776-1341) 4140 .40 cal. 1-16 twist straight blank. This has proved to be a very accurate barrel. To date the only work I have done with it has been out to 200 yards. The biggest problem with using a straight blank is contouring it to what you need. I had a local custom barrel maker (Bull Barry Barrels) turn and chamber it for me. Part of this turned out to be a cost that I didn’t need if I would have spent more time to think things through.
    The second barrel was a Badger Barrel (262 857-6950) .38 call Octagon. I faxed Ernie a drawing of what I wanted and he furnished it in a very timely manner. The cost was less than a straight blank and having to turn it to what I wanted. This barrel has one of the smoothest bores I have seen. Again only shot it out to 200 yards but have got some very good groups. My suggestion would be to purchase a Barrel that is contoured from the maker. For ease of machining I have the barrel short chambered, cut to length and crowned before any more work is done.

The next big problem is the lug that welds to the barrel. I produced a drawing to have this part machined, see attached drawing 000-001. The most economical way to have this part made was to go to a shop that works with CNC equipment. Again I went to a local shop, Advanced Manufacturing Technologies (801 973-9462) to furnish me this part. The cost for one part was just about as much as ten so I ordered ten. When I made the drawing I tried to give my self enough room to hand fit the locking lug. So there is a small amount of leeway in this lug. It has worked out very well for me.

The next problem is to locate the lug on the barrel, to do this I built a fixture. See attached drawing 000-002. To set this fixture I use the stock barrel from the action
    that I’m building for. And again there is a small amount of leeway in the lug for hand fitting. After the fixture and lug are in place I use a small C-clamp to hold every thing in place.

Fixture, Lug and Barrel clamped together for welding.

Before clamping the lug to the barrel there is a small amount of pre-fit-up that can be done. I make sure the lug will fit snug in the action on its own. This may take a little polishing to accomplish but just go slow.

The next step will be to weld the lug to the barrel. I had the lug machined from 4130 material and have had real good results welding it to 4140 barrels. The barrel, lug, fixture and C-clamps are all pre-heated to 250 to 300 deg. I use a modified rod oven for this.
    The lug is TIG welded to the barrel using 4130 filler wire. I tack weld the side of the lug that you can get to first then remove the fixture, re-clamp and weld the other side. After welding remove the C-clamp and wrapped in a heat blanket to control how it cools and returned to the oven. The oven is then turned down to start cooling. This should take about 8 to 12 hours.

Next is fitting the barrel/lug assembly to the action. This is done with standard gunsmith procedures. The locking lug is over size so it can be hand fit to the action. This is one of those “take a little off” and try type things.

Next is the fore end lug. This is spot welded on the stock barrel. I opted to use a dove tail to retain the lug. See attached drawing 000-003. I had a local machinist turn out ten of these to go with the ten lugs. This can be cut and installed at the same time the sights are installed.

Next the barrel will need to be finish chambered and checked for head space.
    Again this is just standard gunsmith procedures. Ejector parts are available from Brownell (800 741-0015) or Gunparts (845 679-2417). Install the ejector parts and check for final fit to action.

All that is left to do is remove the ejector part, polish and blue the finished barrel.

This has been a very educational project for me and I have enjoyed the outcome.
    I have come to the conclusion that it is no harder to build a barrel for a H&R than it is for a TC Contender and I’m working on a way to make a adjustable lock for the SB2 frame.

In closing I would like to say that every thing that I have done can be done by any one else. There is no magic to making a barrel like this and I hope this information helps some one else have as much enjoyment as I have had.

Swede-Nelson
    The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

Nice! What, if anything, do you do to keep scale from forming during the welding? I've been told that silver solder flux might work, and have also thought of using Keep-Bryte. Of course, chambering after welding could possibly solve this problem by itself. How do you provide for the extractor/ejector? This welding issue has been what has stopped me from making custom barrels for H&R handis, and contenders etc. (so far).
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master

Bone black and whale oil or hohoba oil mixed to form a paste.

Made in U.S.A.
    Preheat and TIG weld.
    Learned how from P.O. Ackley's welder 20 years ago.

Made the lug out of 4130 and use 4130 welding rod.
    The only heat treat is the slow cool down after welding to
    keep the weld from getting brittle.

Chamber after welding - Keeps the chamber round.
    Most of the Contender barrel builders do it the same way.

Swede Nelson
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

Boolit Master

Swede,

Great post!!!!!!

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master
    Do you just order ejector parts than? How about building me a 25-35
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Made in U.S.A.
    dk17hmr

Yes GunParts has all the ejector part and pins.

You would be better off finding local talent and
    do what I did. I'd like one in 25/35 also.

Swede Nelson

Boolit Master
    Hey Swede, didn't you used to sell the lug; or at least offer to, on the old Buffalo Classic site?

Got any left over that you might wanna sell/get rid of?
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master

Swede,
    Excellent post. Thanks for sharing.

Jack

Ejector parts can also be bought directly from H&R, or at least could be before remington bought them.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master

Nice post. About 25 years ago I made up about 2 dozen muzzle loaders from H&R shotguns. Took the lugs off the shotgun barrel and silver soldered them to the new barrel. Breach plug was set up for the 209 primer and the extractor was extended out so it would eject the spent primer. This was before all the inlines hit the market and I was going strong until the hunting laws in Idaho were changed.
    Working on one now that is 32 ACP. Just put a liner in the 410 barrel, now to make the extractor work.
    I always make my own lugs if needed.

Made in U.S.A.
    hpdrifter

That be me. (1871BCSS#28)
    If you have a need send me a PM and we can see.

Swede Nelson

SweedeNelson,

Very good post, thanks for shairing. Jetwrench
    When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Boolit Mold
    Are there any Barrel lugs available?

Boolit Grand Master
    You talented guys make me crazy!!! Wonderful work. H&R's are my favorite fun guns and my primary hunters. Have been dreaming about a .32 S+W as a Rook Rifle. Keep up the good and interesting work.

Boolit Master
    good welding technique in your description. approved. (AWS CWI CWE)

this would work to fit a shotgun barrel to a SB2 frame, like a trackerII

Quote Originally Posted by SwedeNelson View Post
    The cost for one part was just about as much as ten so I ordered ten.
    What are you planning to do with the left overs?
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Jim, my thoughts exactly....

Another Group Buy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast