Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revolver Barrel Break in.

Boolit Buddy
    I miss Felix

Boolit Master
    I think "Molly"? one of our members that passed away did a few posts regarding using JB paste either on the bullets or in the barrel
    and reported good results. Course this was sometime back so maybe a search might turn up his old posts. Frank

Boolit Master
    I've tried the traditional method with J-B: Cleaning rod and elbow grease but only on used guns that seem to need it, like fouling or loose groups if I can't nail down the cause. The break-in period is unavoidable. You can speed it up if you think you must but I wouldn't unless I thought there was problem (I'm not a competitive shooter).
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned
    i always smooth out the forcing cone on any revolver i buy. the factory ones are never to my satisfaction. oh yes,two were. my two ruger lcr revolvers. had good forcing cones. then i check the front of the cylinder to see if a bullet can slide through it. all my uberti colt and my uberti remington passed this test. my ruger bisley didnt pass the test. sent the cylinder to doug guy and he made it right. i dont get the break in for revolvers that shoot nothing but lead. i know this is about revolvers but my 45/70 that only shoot paperpatched bullets with no lube, the bore shines like a parabolic mirror. i think on the revolver the lining up of the cylinders to the barrel, the cylinder opening size and the forcing cone and the muzzle crown is where accuracy is at. a good trigger is also important.

Boolit Master
    I have used lapping compound, very sparingly. I used 5 rounds in my 41 mag. You can, but firelapping is a bit unnecessary. Only had one box(50 rounds) of Jack-copper to start with. I did smooth up the forcing cone with lapping compound on a jag. My 41 measures out to .4095 at the muzzle. I left it a tad tight. I don't recommend using all that much copper, it's too hard to get out of the barrel, the fourth time you clean it because it's leading, you'll understand.

Revolvers (especially Rugers) don't require that much break-in.

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master
    Oh, my lapping compound came from a Wheeler scope lapping kit (220,320 grit).
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12