Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast pistol bullets in .45-70

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had fair success with a 454-424 and 2400 in a Marlin CB. Mine casts .457 and I lubed them with NRA 50/50 and then a coat of Recluse formula 45/45/10. They shot pretty well at fifty yards--2-3" offhand, they had plenty of oomph for knocking over chickens.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy

Minor update: I was able to load rounds using a combination of my .45 acp and .45 Colt dies, but the effort was hardly worth it. You might keep this in mind for emergency use. I have a set of 45-70 dies coming in the mail and I'm going to wait for those to arrive before proceeding further.

Best
    Doc

Boolit Buddy

Another minor update. I have loaded six rounds using RN lead, 230 gr. .45 acp bullets that mic out at .4535". These are sitting in front of 16 grains of 2400. If we get a break from this infernal rain I might get to print these today. Additionally, I casted 75 bullets from a 220 grain Lee .460" RN mold that I'll try next.

Best
    Doc

Boolit Grand Master

You might find both of those bullets would probably do better loaded over 6 - 8 gr of Bullseye.....no wad or filler.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy

'Nother minor update. I fired the .45 acp pistol cast bullet loads (referenced above) at 50'. They were about 4" high - which I more or less expected - but the group was awful at around 5". Next I'll try the 230 gr. .459" boolets I recently cast. I expect them to shoot high too, but the groups may tighten up. I'm still on the lookout for a correct rifle mold.

If the .459" boolets look promising with 16 grains of 2400 (for consistency with the first batch), I'll try Larry's Bullseye suggested load.

Best
    Doc

Boolit Buddy
    When my dad still walked the earth, he used a Lyman 454190 in a #3 Ruger. He used a 45 colt 310 die to size the 45/70 case mouth. IIRC, he used holy black for propellant

Boolit Master
    I would run a soft lead slug through that barrel paying attention for tight spots. I’d measure it, and then I’d do it a couple more times. Hard to imagine that the bore is really .453.

If it really is, and you don’t want to paper patch, then you may try using a 45acp sizing die and expander to get reasonable neck tension. Cartridge will look a little bottle neck and shoot like hell, but you may not have a lot of other options. Actually I’d fire a cartridge and then try just neck sizing with the 45acp dies.

Boolit Buddy

Last update: My earlier post about my larger mold was incorrect. I was going on memory. It's a Lee 456-220-1R. This, as the nomenclature implies, is nominally a .456" RNL bullet of 220 grains. In truth, it drops the boolets a little larger.

I fired six rounds with this boolet today, with the same 16 grains of 2400 I used with the .45 acp boolets. What a difference! At 50' I got one ragged hole. The group was still about 4" high, but I expected that and am not worried about it. I have plenty of elevation adjustment on my rear sight. Fifty feet is no distance for serious groups, but this was only a test to see how different boolets would group (with the molds I have available) and now I have my answer.

Next up on the agenda is to try different powders and loadings with this boolet and see how I can massage it at greater ranges. Thanks to all of you for your interest and input.

Best
    Doc

Boolit Mold
    I like the advice about slugging chamber and muzzle and clear through. I would add though that the slugging will obturate to the smallest diameter as it is push clear through and may be your most inconsistent slug. When slugging from the muzzle end slug about 6 inches down . As the muzzle will tend to be the most worn section of the barrel if this 45-70 has age .just my 2 cents

Boolit Master

I’ve got a chamber insert adapter that allows me to shoot cast 45 ACP in my Siamese Mauser 45-70. It’s not very accurate, probably due to the .452 bullet wobbling down the .458 barrel, but it’s fun none the less.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    For 100 yard targets you can do ok with pistol boolits and I hope it works for you. I tried lightweights for the 45-70 and didn't care much for it, though I did learn a lot.
    Target loads using Unique, 4198, and Goex under cast bullets from 350-500 grains can be loaded fairly light and still shoot well. Like Larry said, I wouldn't buy pistol molds for that purpose, I think you'll be happier with a little more lead in your pencil.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12