Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What am I doing wrong? 12 gauge crimp - Picture

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Okay, playing Devil's advocate here......If we use a 2-3/4" hull (which is really 3" long) can we load a 3" payload into it and seal it shut as descrbed above for use in a gun with a 2-/4" chamber (which is really 3" long)? Would that be safe?

I think what you are getting at is "will an uncrimped hull of a certain size fit my chamber....or be safe in my chamber" ? If it fits, it fits. My side by side has looong chambers, so an uncrimped 3" hull just slides right in, with room to spare. Whether a certain length hull will fit YOUR chamber, you'll have to find out for yourself. But, if it fits....and you are not jamming the mouth of the hull into the forcing cone...then there is NO problem.

The other two condiderations would be : 1) Is the load safe in the first place ? Crimped or uncrimped with wax - that is the same deal. Uncrimped does NOT cause a pressure increase. 2) You need to save about 1/4" of hull length, in the mouth, in order to have enough room for the overshot card plus wax seal.

I hope that answers your questions.

Boolit Master

Thank you, gentlemen, I stand corrected. 2-3/4" is 2-3/4" uncrimed. I really can't gaon any payload by sealing the hull in this manner.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12