Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you have a Yellow Jacket problem?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    A good jag of diesel works and don’t have to light it.

Three44s
    Tastes great in the wells also. NOT

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Hahahahahaha! I killed a bunch of wasps with dawn soapy water from a squirt bottle, I stomp on them with boots when they fall down. I also hate wasps hahahaha! I would want to fill their below ground colonies with molten zinc wheel weights, except thats really dangerous!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    A partial gallon of diesel (full gallon for a very large nest) in the soil where an underground nest is situated stays in the paper, won’t get in your well.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    I have not had a problem with wasps or yellow jackets in a while. My problem is with horse flies, would the bait and flea poison work for them. I know each time they bite me they must take a pound of flesh. I get a more severe reaction each time I get bit.

chuck40219
    When I speak of:
    45-70: that is a 45-70 Uberti 1885 High Wall Rifle
    357 Mag. Rifle: that is a Uberti 1873 Carbine

Boolit Master
    This has been a strange year in our neck of the woods. Very few yellow jackets, hornets, or bears are around so far. I am waiting in semi-terror for the first Asian murder hornets to show up. We are only 35 air miles from where they have been found near Blaine, Wa. Those giant hornets do have to cross a lot of water to get here, however.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    Don't get the epipen!

Get epinephrine filled syringes. I get 2 for $5. Epipen $ 250- 500.
    Any advice for someone like me who is allergic to epinephrine? Found out they add it to Novocain to make it act faster. I was having panic attacks and a racing heart at the dentist until a woman doctor in Indy explained what was going on. They have Novocain without epinephrine but you have to ask for it. Dentists don’t like to use it as it lengthens your appointment and cuts down their billable hours.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck40219 View Post
    I have not had a problem with wasps or yellow jackets in a while. My problem is with horse flies, would the bait and flea poison work for them. I know each time they bite me they must take a pound of flesh. I get a more severe reaction each time I get bit.

chuck40219
    There is a horsefly trap you can build with 1/2 of a 55 gallon drum partially filled with water. It’s phenomenal. Ranchers use them. Turns out horseflies are attracted to big dark objects. This rig uses a dark colored drum cut in half if memory serves. There is some kind of one-way baffle on the top and the flies end up drowning. Not sure if they use a pheromone bait or just the visual dark object.

Found it. He’s in your neck of the woods too: https://littlethings.com/home/horsef...trap/3148581-1

We have a dozen or so large Linden trees that flower in the late summer. When they do the trees will hum with bees/yellowjackets/wasps/bald faced bees ect loud enough for my half deaf ears to hear. Don't mind the honey and bumble bees, but the yellow jackets and bald faced bees usually sting someone every year. So far this year it's been only me. I'm not allergic but my wife is and has to carry an epi pen. The yellow jackets make nests in/on our house every year and it's been a yearly issue to get rid of them. Tried the sprays, pyrethrin, vacuum ect and figured I'd try the Fipronil. I used tuna and "Pet Armor Plus" (9.8% fipronil) that was available at the local grocery store. Over 3 days I noticed no YJ on the tuna and the number of them going in/out the corner of our house seemed the same. I've also had out 3 traps which don't seem to do very well either. I believe it's the rather large amount of flowers blooming on the trees that drowns out any YJ the tuna would normally attract.

So on the evening of day #3 I sprayed around the hole they had chewed in our wood siding where it met a mortar line in the bricks to kill the guard YJ's and squirted a tube of fipronil into the main hole the YJ were using. Day #4 no change that morning. In the afternoon it seemed like there were fewer of them coming and going and after dark a second tube of fipronil was squirted into the hole (no guard yellow jackets that time) . Day #5, so far I haven't seen any coming in or out of that nest. I've watched the nest for a few minutes 4-5 times now. Before it was always over 50 of the little jerks for the same time frame, but now nothing. I believe a better approach will be to soak some felt or yarn with the fipronil and insert that into the hole with a long stick next time so that it doesn't soak into the brick or wood as easily.

Thanks Norcal707

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    We have a dozen or so large Linden trees that flower in the late summer. When they do the trees will hum with bees/yellowjackets/wasps/bald faced bees ect loud enough for my half deaf ears to hear. Don't mind the honey and bumble bees, but the yellow jackets and bald faced bees usually sting someone every year. So far this year it's been only me. I'm not allergic but my wife is and has to carry an epi pen. The yellow jackets make nests in/on our house every year and it's been a yearly issue to get rid of them. Tried the sprays, pyrethrin, vacuum ect and figured I'd try the Fipronil. I used tuna and "Pet Armor Plus" (9.8% fipronil) that was available at the local grocery store. Over 3 days I noticed no YJ on the tuna and the number of them going in/out the corner of our house seemed the same. I've also had out 3 traps which don't seem to do very well either. I believe it's the rather large amount of flowers blooming on the trees that drowns out any YJ the tuna would normally attract.

So on the evening of day #3 I sprayed around the hole they had chewed in our wood siding where it met a mortar line in the bricks to kill the guard YJ's and squirted a tube of fipronil into the main hole the YJ were using. Day #4 no change that morning. In the afternoon it seemed like there were fewer of them coming and going and after dark a second tube of fipronil was squirted into the hole (no guard yellow jackets that time) . Day #5, so far I haven't seen any coming in or out of that nest. I've watched the nest for a few minutes 4-5 times now. Before it was always over 50 of the little jerks for the same time frame, but now nothing. I believe a better approach will be to soak some felt or yarn with the fipronil and insert that into the hole with a long stick next time so that it doesn't soak into the brick or wood as easily.

Thanks Norcal707
    Glad the Fipronil is working out for you!

Boolit Master

I really detest using poisons/pesticides/herbicides. I try to avoid them whenever possible. I am not fanatical about it. I will use them when other methods fail. With that said, here is a method I learned as a child:
    Suspend a piece of smelly fish over a bucket or pan of water. Add a few drops of dish soap to the water. The yellow jackets/hornets will eat their fill and then they will let go and drop into the water and drown. Canned mackerel works well. Fresh or frozen fish also work. Whole fish can be used, just partially filet them and let the filets hang by the skin.
    No poisons. Works slower than poisons. Only kills meat/fish eaters. You can even buy the poison for a backup plan when you buy the mackerel or other fish.

Boolit Master
    Brass Magnet, I think that is the way to go,

Boolit Master
    I've gained an aversion to using cides as I watch my cousin going downhill fast with leukemia probably as a result of using stuff on the farm. he's part of that roundup lawsuit if he lives long enough to spend the check the lawyers will send him.

Boolit Master
    Here's my solution and how it came about. I'm somewhat allergic to insect stings. I read the Raid can long enough to know they use Permethrin oil. It's made from chrysanthmum oil. It's also used as fly spray for livestock at 1% strength. I buy Martin's 10% from Amazon and dilute it to around 2%. It kills any insect in Texas.

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master
    We had a nest at my MILs next door. I bought some of the new foaming spray and waited until dusk. Hosed the hole a few times and the next day...NADA.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”