Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's going to be a bad year for forest fires.

Boolit Grand Master

The little weather girl on TV said that as of today in the Baton Rouge , LA. area we have recieved FIVE FEET of rain so far this year ... she holds her hand about two inches above her head and say's ..
    ..." this right here is five feet ... it's over my head , it's only July and we haven't had our first hurricane yet !!!"
    So I'm thinking to myself ... 300 cubits long , 50 cubits wide and 30 cubits high ... I got to find my cubit drawing scale and get to work on some boat building plans ...what's a cubit !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

WIfe is complaining about her flowers drying up with out any rain. we live 1/4 mile off the beach here in South West WA. Gotta keep the dune grass mowed down in the Back Yard. We have had a little light rain a couple times this week.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    The little weather girl on TV said that as of today in the Baton Rouge , LA. area we have recieved FIVE FEET of rain so far this year ... she holds her hand about two inches above her head and say's ..
    ..." this right here is five feet ... it's over my head , it's only July and we haven't had our first hurricane yet !!!"
    So I'm thinking to myself ... 300 cubits long , 50 cubits wide and 30 cubits high ... I got to find my cubit drawing scale and get to work on some boat building plans ...what's a cubit !!!
    Gary
    Same here, Weather dude is saying we have reached out annual rain fall for the year with 6 more months to go its gonna be a wet one !

Boolit Master
    We just had a cloud burst, probably dropped half an inch. Our temps will be in the eighties for days to come which is warmer than I care for.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

We got lucky here in the east this spring. Only spent 17 days on the east coast, hopefully this fall will also be a bit slow as well. Ya'll be careful out west!
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 07-13-2021 at 04:43 PM.

Banned

We just had almost 2 full days of steady rain after an extra wet spring. I wish there was a way of sending some to you folks. I hate to see y'all have it so dry. This last one gave our neighbors in Missouri some ping pong ball size hail, a friend is concerned about his soybeans.

https://gacc.nifc.gov/

https://maps.nwcg.gov/sa/#/%3F/%3F/45.8403/-110.7958/6

Good resources for finding info on fires in your area, or other areas if interested.

I'll be seeing you folks out west here quite soon.....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Yeah, last month or so, we've had rain every day. Sometimes light, sometimes heavy. Never know. My back yard grows about an inch a day. Need to mow about 4-5 days. As others have said, wish we could share with ya'll.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Buddy
    Cubit- Funny story about that. A cubit (to my understanding) is the space from your elbow point to the tip of your middle finger. Last time I ever make that mistake explaining to my Ag Mech kids measurement systems....

Boolit Master
    Here in NW MT it has been running from 90 to 105 for the last couple of weeks and hasn't rained since late June. Looks like mid 90s for the next few days at least. It's been smokey from fires somewhere for several days but is starting to clear up.

Boolit Grand Master
    gbrown---when I was in A&P school, one of my teachers was wanting to fertilize his lawn and wondered what to use. He told me how much lawn he had so I told him what to use, 2 bags max. Few weeks later he comes dragging into class and complains about how much he has to mow his lawn. Luckily it has been raining about every other day as he used 20 bags of fertilizer!!!! He swore it grew an inch from the time he left in the morning to the time he got home that evening. He said the bermuda grass runners in a bare spot were growing 3 feet a day. He was mowing every other day and would use 20 lawn bags for the clippings each time. He said the trash people were getting to hate him!!!
    I had to laugh when he told us what was going on.

Boolit Master

Current fire map...

Attachment 286156
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned

ABout 20 years ago, I went as part of a unit out of Fort Bragg to fight fires up in the Libby/Try area of Montana in the Kootenai National Forest. It was a bad fire year then and all the locals told me how bad that hurt their economy both short and long term. Gorgeous country up there, just stunning. I hate to see it happen.

I was wrong in my earlier post with 3" of moisture.
    After looking at my weather station it says we are at 1.32" for the last 12 months.

Boolit Master
    I live about 65 miles NE of Libby and fires in this area are a normal every year thing. Usually not much on the news about MT fires as California brush fires get all the press.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I live about 65 miles NE of Libby and fires in this area are a normal every year thing. Usually not much on the news about MT fires as California brush fires get all the press.
    I've noticed that.

We have record-breaking heat, drought, and fires breaking out everywhere with an impending shortage of water, and it hardly makes the top ten stories on the major networks. But then when a weak hurricane that downgraded to a tropical storm rolled into the Southeast, then it is top of the hour news flash for days. Same with any other moderate weather event that affects the coasts.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    ABout 20 years ago, I went as part of a unit out of Fort Bragg to fight fires up in the Libby/Try area of Montana in the Kootenai National Forest. It was a bad fire year then and all the locals told me how bad that hurt their economy both short and long term. Gorgeous country up there, just stunning. I hate to see it happen.
    Hot shots , heli tack, and the like are part of the economy up here. They eat food in restaurants purchase thousands of bag lunches stay in hotels / bunk houses buy gas .

well, they closed the BWCAW today, we could really use some rain !

Ely restaurant closes to feed hundreds of firefighters

https://kbjr6.com/2021/08/21/ely-res...-firefighters/
    Last edited by zymguy; 08-21-2021 at 10:54 PM. Reason: added link

Boolit Master
    Here is an interesting statistic. The average to-date acreage of wildfires nationally for August 22 is 5,300,000 acres. This year as of Aug. 22 it is 4,800,000 or about 10% below average. These numbers come from the National Interagency Fire Center. The only reason I can think of for this is that the only fire Nevada has had is a spillover from a California fire. Nevada is often the number one contributor to wildfire acreage. Knock on wood - I hope Nevada stays safe.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    well, they closed the BWCAW today, we could really use some rain !

Ely restaurant closes to feed hundreds of firefighters

https://kbjr6.com/2021/08/21/ely-res...-firefighters/
    So what do the bear hunters that have a tag in the BWCA zone do next week?

I don't understand what all the panic is all about. I've been driving like crazy this month. I've been all over MN from the western border, to Mora, Glencoe, Bemidji, and between. I've been through eastern ND. I've been all over eastern SD. I'm willing to admit it is dry, but this is nothing earth shattering. It is spotty. One spot can be bone dry, grass turning brown, then drive 30 miles and it can be green and wet as can be. We just had this discussion, the last big drought we had in this area was 2007, and it was worse than this.

P.S. It just rained a ton, and it's headed your way.