RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Tuftin #73 high test nickel alloy

Boolit Mold

Tuftin #73 high test nickel alloy

Hello guys, I am wondering if anyone has ever experimented with Tuftin #73 high test nickel alloy with cast bullets. I could get my hands on several pounds, but want to know if it will be worth my trouble. The only information I could find online was that it contains Tin,Nickel,Arsenic and copper but I could not find the concentrations. The Brinell hardness # is 36.5.

Boolit Master
    With enough lead, sure. However, and you know I am gonna say this, if you buy it, have it analyzed. THEN, search for nickel in bullet alloy. THEN use the alloy calculator.

Edit: Also search copper, depending on percentage. It may or may not be useable. It depends on how much of what it contains.

Banned

nickel is not gonna make a boolit alloy happy.
    but at 35 bhn it nor the copper can't be all that high.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    nickel is not gonna make a boolit alloy happy.
    but at 35 bhn it nor the copper can't be all that high.
    That is why I suggest analysis, as banger would. Without a BASIC knowledge of the alloy, yours, and everybody elses guess, would be, well, a guess.

Edit: Also the reason I suggested he research nickle and copper.

Edit2 you may have to do some research, as in, calling the company, to get the percentages of metals in the alloy.
    Last edited by scottfire1957; 11-03-2016 at 12:29 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a single bar of marked "TUF-TIN HIGH TEST" (about 3.5#) that I had tested by a member here. My results were Pb=1.1%, Sb=13.1%, Sn=82.0% & Cu=3.8.
    Last edited by djgoings; 11-04-2016 at 07:07 AM.

Boolit Mold
    I just realized I made a mistake it is supposed to be Antimony and not Arsenic. I have contacted Jackson Wheeler, the company that makes this babbitt and they will have someone get back to me in regards to the concentrations in the alloy. The bar weight is 4 lbs 5 ounces. I have a friend who found about 4-5 milk crates full of this stuff and he asked me if I wanted to have it for free. Hopefully this turns out to be good stuff for alloying cast boolits, in that case I would probably have a lifetime supply.

Vendor Sponsor

Nickel is also quite hard. It could be very abrasive to your bore. I am not sure what you would need a nickel alloy for that can't already be done better with conventional lead/tin alloys.

There's also the fact that pressure can go through the roof if said nickel alloyed boolits are fired in a revolver that has tight cylinder throats, for example. Depending on how hard your final mix is, please take this into consideration if you do decide to cast with it to experiment with.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-03-2016 at 10:19 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Mold
    The guy from Jackson Wheeler metals called me back and told me that the nickel content was less than half a percent,11 percent copper and the rest was mostly tin and antimony which he said he could not specify the percentages because its a proprietary alloy. What do you guys think should I be messing with this or should I just pass on this lot of babbitt?

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Heehee, pass it to me I'll pay the shipping! Just kidding. I would take it, if nothing else just to have something to trade with! ( those guys that have the slow speed hit/miss engines might grab it up to pour bearings with).I feel sure there are the wiser ones on here that will give you expert guidance for sure!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Mold
    Today I just called up my buddy that tought me how to cast and he told me he has used Tuftin nickel alloy before and he said he had excellent results. He is willing to trade some of my babbitt for some linotype. Looks like I hit the jackpot!!! Thank you to those who replied and helped me out.

Banned

that sounds great.
    that low of a nickel content isn't really a concern.

Nab it up. If you decide to split off any of it I'd take a couple of pounds to play with. I think I'd cut it to dist. the Cu just to see if it make any difference in a few situations.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by browning35 View Post
    ... What do you guys think should I be messing with this or should I just pass on this lot of babbitt?
    Oh heck yeah, grab all you can!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington