MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Hardest most violent recoil...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Several years ago, John Taffin published an article on practice loads for big revolvers. That article has been a life saver for me. He listed loads for several powders each for .44 Mag, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, 480 Ruger, .475 Linebaugh and .500 Linebaugh. Bullets used were 300 gr. for the .44 Mag and .45 Colt. The 480 Ruger, 475 L, 500 L went up from there....
    I had a RBH in .45Colt when Taffin was still shooting heavy loads. I was loading heavy 255 and 300gn bullets in my Ruger and enjoying the 'manliness' of heavy recoil and large bullets striking the target. His article on wrist and elbow damage was what made me realize I was feeling the same symptoms in my arm. Instead of downloading I sold the gun. When I want to shoot 'downloaded' .45 I get out a 1911 Haven't shot another heavy big bore since.

Boolit Master
    Did anyone already mention the Pfeifer-Zeliska .600 Nitro express revolver yet? That has to be at the top of the list for the number one slot.
    ref https://www.guns.com/news/2012/02/17...-nitro-express
    Oh yeah, they make them in other less stout calibers such as the .458 Win Mag too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pfeifer-zeliska-11.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	286246
    Last edited by Earlwb; 07-17-2021 at 10:58 PM. Reason: add more info

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    Yup.

I guess people buy them as bear guns, but it might be less painful to just let bear chew on you.
    It's all part of the right to keep and "bear" arms
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

Couldn't resist and no I don't think this is practical...

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...gest-revolver/
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Several years ago, John Taffin published an article on practice loads for big revolvers. That article has been a life saver for me. He listed loads for several powders each for .44 Mag, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, 480 Ruger, .475 Linebaugh and .500 Linebaugh. Bullets used were 300 gr. for the .44 Mag and .45 Colt. The 480 Ruger, 475 L, 500 L went up from there.

It has been awhile since I shot any of these with more than mid loads. I "celebrated" my 79th birthday last Sunday. I've developed arthritis in my right thumb which has diminished my total hand strength. Casting and handloading have enabled me to keep shooting these big bore guns. I've only got the .44, 45, 454C and 475L. The last 2 mainly because I wanted to own them. The Freedom Arms has extra cylinders which are used instead of the .454. I don't hunt so that didn't enter in to the decision to buy.
    Thanks for mentioning the very informational Taffin article - found it with a quick search. Especially interested in CB load options for my .45 Colt flat top 5.5" BH Bisley convertible, & my 4 5/8" .480 SBH Bisley.

For the .480, I've found very little CB published data, so expect this to be quite useful going forward.
    "Sometimes you make eight - sometimes you hit dirt!"

Regards - GCF

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456