Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

View Poll Results: What is the best mould material?

Voters
634. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brass

176 27.76%
  • Iron

296 46.69%
  • Aluminum

137 21.61%
  • Something I missed?

25 3.94%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Best mould material

Boolit Buddy
    I have been casting bullets since 1968 and over the years don't have any idea many bullets I have cast-but it has to be in the hundreds of thousands.

BRASS is the best mould material by far. What is really sad is that many casters have never had a chance to use a good brass mould because the major mould manufacturers won't use brass because it is too expensive.

As for aluminum moulds, they are the worst.

Boolit Grand Master
    the more molds that come my way are brass
    if there is a choice I want brass
    seems as though my preferences are changing towards brass

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MBM View Post
    I used to think Iron was the only way to go. Then Bernie Rowles at Old West Molds introduced me to Brass. There are some down sides to brass. You can not lap the mold like you can an iron mold and you need to handle with care because they are more soft than iron. With that being said, I still like brass best. I like the way they cast and now that I'm making molds, I like the way brass machines.

I'm new to this and have much to learn as of yet,,,but
    Just curious,,,why can you not lap a brass mold?
    Last edited by onesonek; 04-20-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    Dave

Boolit Master

Just bought two brass molds from Accurate Molds. I am very impressed with how nice it was to cast with both of these molds. Once they got to operating temp I had excellent results. Gonna try a iron mold next; but I don't think it can get much better than these two brass molds.
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Boolit Master

I prefer iron. Been using them for decades and they last if you take care of them. I have a few Lyman aluminum's, but like already posted you have to be careful with them or you have an expensive paper weight. Never used brass, but they sure do look pretty,

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    If money is no object ..... However, money is ALWAYS a factor for most of us and that colors this discussion (as it must unless we happen to be independently wealthy).

FWIW
    Dale53

I'd even accept being "Dependantly Wealthy"

Boolit Master

Since I last posted my preference for brass a couple years ago based on the pleasant experience of using Jim Allisons CBE 512975, I have reinforced that opinion since I received a couple of Miha's creations. His Cramer style molds are simply the best I have ever used.

Bob

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    Since I last posted my preference for brass a couple years ago based on the pleasant experience of using Jim Allisons CBE 512975, I have reinforced that opinion since I received a couple of Miha's creations. His Cramer style molds are simply the best I have ever used.

Bob
    "Oh, what a difference a day makes!"
    When this thread started a couple of years ago, my preference was iron (specifically H&G iron four cavity moulds). Now, with the experience I (and many others) have recently received with our Mihec brass moulds, I would put brass at the top of the list. Iron would be second, then aluminum.

However, I MUST qualify this on a couple of points. First, if I am casting pistol bullets, I need production. Aluminum's light weight allows me to use a six cavity mould, so aluminum is STILL in the game.

Secondly, the skill of the mould maker comes into play. When you have moulds made by someone as gifted as Mihec and others available to us, then most anything they turn out will put a smile on your face. I am thinking, after Mihec, of NOE and LBT. My moulds by those good people are nothing but a pleasure to use. That is regardless of the material they are made of.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Am I missing something?!? Why aren't more concerned about PRODUCTION?

Why is iron #1?!? It's heavy, slow, and expensive to machine in comparison.

Please, somebody enlighten me.
    Last edited by singleshot; 04-20-2011 at 11:10 PM.

Boolit Master

singleshot,

When I posted this thread I was asking for the opinions of users, not manufactuers.

It came out pretty much as I figured it would, but you never know until you measure.

I thought iron would be tops as the vast majority of moulds made over the last 100+ years have been from iron, just that simple.

Dale puts a fine point on it though, quality really counts, if you can afford it. There's never been any doubt that say H&G was higher quality than Lyman and it showed in the price too.

But 50 years ago many, many more people could afford Lyman that H&G. Now, even as bad as times are we are a very rich country/people. Many of us can afford the next level up.

Thanks by the way, for all who've participated in this poll.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

I could be wrong, but I believe that 50 years ago many more people were casting their own, as there just wasn't as many jacketed bullets available, and the ones that were available were fairly expensive, so it was the rare shooter that didn't cast, and instead bought all their bullets. Now most folks that reload buy their bullets, and casting has become the rarer thing to do, so those that do cast are usually willing to spend the extra money to buy a better mould. At least that's the case with most of the active members of this board. To that point, when was the last time you saw an article about casting in American Rifleman, or any other mainstream shooting magazine? 50 years ago they all had articles about casting!

It's the same thing that happened with horses & automobiles. When cars first came out, it was the rich folks, that rode in cars, and the common person that rode a horse. Now everyone has a car, and riding horses has become a rich man's sport.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    singleshot,

When I posted this thread I was asking for the opinions of users, not manufactuers.

It came out pretty much as I figured it would, but you never know until you measure.

I thought iron would be tops as the vast majority of moulds made over the last 100+ years have been from iron, just that simple.

Dale puts a fine point on it though, quality really counts, if you can afford it. There's never been any doubt that say H&G was higher quality than Lyman and it showed in the price too.

But 50 years ago many, many more people could afford Lyman that H&G. Now, even as bad as times are we are a very rich country/people. Many of us can afford the next level up.

Thanks by the way, for all who've participated in this poll.

Cat
    Sorry Cat, my post actually was concerning users, not manufacturers. I guess I wasn't too clear. The higher cost of machining translates to higher mold cost. And doesn't aluminum cast faster than the other two materials in question? Iron is the only material that will destroy itself by rusting, as well. I've never cast with brass, just familiar with the material properties...so I guess I'll have to get a brass mold to see if I like it better than Al

Maybe brass would be ideal for heavy, small caliber rifles? What should my first brass mold be?

Boolit Master

No sweat singleshot, I just wanted to be clear.

Yes, higher machining does mean higher cost user costs, that's true.

I've never compared aluminum to steel for speed. All the al moulds I've had/do have are six cavity and the most I have in steel is a four so it wouldn't be apples to apples. Are you thinking that Al would be faster than Fe due to it's higher heat tranference? I couldn't say.

I personally prefer brass and would prefer it for any mould regardless of what it was casting. It won't rust. That alone puts it above all other moulds, to me.

One big problem with brass though is as far as I can tell all the brass bar suitable for mold manufacturering for sale in this country is cold rolled. That leaves un-releived stresses in the material which when heated can cause it to warp.

Cat

Boolit Buddy
    I have always used Iron and AL(prefer Iron). Ordered my first brass Mihec a couple days ago pretty much based on the glowing recommendations found here. That and his website, great advertising, looks like art.
    I'll let ya know how I feel about them later.

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting thread.

I started casting more than 40 years ago. Mostly have four cavity molds. The ones I have liked the best are H&G steel molds. They have withstood the test of time. Molds from Ballisti-Cast are darned near as nice.

I have a few Lee molds and have recently acquired an NOE aluminum and a Mihec brass mold. The Lees I consider to be expendable. They're cheap but aren't gonna last. Good for trying a new design or for making a few thousand of something I don't use often.

The fly in the ointment is the Mihec brass mold. Lovely piece of machine work. Have just used it once. As I am used to the weight of a substantial mold the heavy brass mold doesn't bother me. I think I'm really gonna like it! I sure hope it lasts.

Boolit Master
    Brass, Iron, Aluminum

Brass is the fastest casting, followed by aluminum, and Iron I ran 2 molds.

Miha's 4 cavity Brass H&G 503 is almost exactly the same weight ( 2 3/4 pounds w/handles ) as Lymans 4 cavity Iron 429421
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    OK I'm now a convert. Been casting with my new H&G 503 and a 452 45 Mihec molds. I will be casting with his or at least brass molds from now on. Been making a list of priority replacement molds.
    They are high end molds in my opinion and do take some relearning but they are by far the most uniform, consistent HP molds I've ever had the pleasure of using.
    Compromise is giving up something you are unwilling to fight for! ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ www.concealedcarryofarkansas.com

Boolit Master

Titanium would be the ultimate to me,but you couldn't afford it!
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Boolit Master
    I voted brass,but to be honest that is the only mold I have casted with. All three we have are Mihec brass molds. Someday I would like to try other types but I am sold on the ones we have.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

slide,

I hate to tell you this, but since you started with Mihecs, it's pretty much downhill from here for you!

Cat

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast