RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fair Trade For Beeswax? Daughter Getting Married

Boolit Grand Master

Fair Trade For Beeswax? Daughter Getting Married

So, career military daughter finally met the man of her dreams. A SF Operator seems like a nice guy. She is planning some type of mountain HeeHaw wedding thing with haybales, gas lanterns etc. Asked the wife if she could make some candles in mason jars..

Wife know I can get her all the jars she wants in whatever sizes. Next question "you know where I can get some pariffin and beeswax"?

So my beeswax is about gone along with the box of pariffin but I think it's a good trade and the small blue and green mason jar candles look good
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    If she found a good man who loves her, nearly anything is a good trade to make her day. You can get more wax, hopefully this is a once-in-a-lifetime event. Congratulations!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Any where that sells Canning Supplies will carry Paraffin and most Craft stores will carry Bees Wax or Bees Wax Candles

Boolit Master
    You are getting off easy, I have already paid $1200 for a dress my daughter will wear once, and $800 to rent a hall for her wedding in October.
    Lord only knows what else I will have to fork over...

Edit: I remember exactly what I paid for my wife's wedding dress almost 38 years ago.
    My future in-laws hated me and refused to pay for any part of the wedding. My grandmother did a lot of sewing, and grandparents were both frugal.... Grandfather had bought a wedding dress for $1 at a church bazaar sale figuring grandma could cut it up and use the material for something. Grandma found out we didn't have a dress yet, so she took my wife up to the attic to try the dress on. With a few minor alterations it fit, and my grandfather made me pay him $1 for the dress.
    Last edited by Pipefitter; 05-23-2021 at 04:01 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pipefitter View Post
    You are getting off easy, I have already paid $1200 for a dress my daughter will wear once, and $800 to rent a hall for her wedding in October.
    Lord only knows what else I will have to fork over...
    That's not bad. $2,000 isn't too much I'd think. Guy I know forked over $20,000 for the wedding. We aren't paying anything besides candles and such. If she wants to spend money then that's her choice and is ok with us. My families weddings involved a backyard and pig roast. Wife's first wedding was a Justice Of The Peace and was fine. Weddings have gotten out of hand. God doesn't care what goes into it as that Is not the point

Boolit Buddy

Beeswax would be kinda expensive.
    Look into soy wax or something similar.

Craft stores will have what you need, but online would be cheaper.

Don't forget the Dollar store for wax and glass containers.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I used to buy beeswax so oldest daughter and her friends could make candles , and of course I always ratholed a few pounds for lube projects and casting , I have always thought this brides parents paying for wedding is kind of skewed , I wanted a buffalo robe a rifle a knife powder and lead along with a horse , but son in law never brought any over nor a jug of whiskey either .

I would like to say Congratulations also and how much beeswax did you lose ?

Banned
    Not A bad trade

I'd have hit all the thrift stores and bought out all their candles (smelling them first), then melt them all down and pout candles.

Boolit Grand Master

I would like to say Congratulations also and how much beeswax did you lose ?

Several jars worth but I did manage to convince her to cut it 50/50 with paraffin. Still a good trade and I'm not clutching pearls over it.

Congratulations. Make them save the candles for you and you may be able to salvage some of the wax for making lube or for smelting.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Congratulations. Make them save the candles for you and you may be able to salvage some of the wax for making lube or for smelting.
    Yes, congratulations to all parties involved.....and yes, salvage the leftovers.
    NRA Benefactor

Hobby Lobby

Plus on the congrats. But why not just put votive or small pillar candles in the jars. Tie some nice ribbon that matches the brides color scheme and save a LOT of time.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

City girls want that "Coming Out" party, a fancy-smancy photographic location, four or five bride's maids, an equal number of groom's men, a "pricy" dress, Tuxes for all, a Rehearsal Dinner, a floral decorated church, a Wedding Reception, LOTS of invited guests, a pre-paid honeymoon, and all of the trimmings that SOMEONE ELSE'S MONEY can buy.

I invited the participants to elope for about the same money - which they DID - but DIDN'T take the cash! SHE wanted, and got, a Big Church / Military Cross Swords wedding and trimmings after-the-fact.

Country girls just "get it" and make do with what they can do for themselves and with and through their mothers and friends - frugally - making financial decisions that are SMART and filled with COMMON SENSE.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Congrats - if you are looking for beeswax - check on fleabay. I replenished my supply about a year ago and bought 7 pounds on there from a place in TN IIRC - the more you bought in 1 pound cakes, the cheaper it was - it is high quality and shipped promptly.

At the same time, I also wanted some paraffin - ended up buying a pound cake off of Amazon.

With the way things are going though, I have no idea of the cost of the two with the inflation going on.

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats JonP.

Thinking out loud here...
    Traditional Weddings (first weddings that is), tend to be an expensive affair. With all the current shortages and crazy prices for some things, I can't even begin to imagine how the spending would add up? I've heard flowers are as scare as ammo, and when you find what you want, it'll be like buying 9mm ammo for $60 a box.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

LOL! Weddings are a racket. The venue and food isn’t the half of it. Everybody wants a piece of me. I just paid $4,400 for the photographer. And that doesn’t include prints. Next is the DJ... a guy with no skills, a couple of speakers and an iPhone full of tunes he stole off the net. Can’t wait to see what I get banged for that!

I know it’s a big deal to my girl and her mother. I smile and nod as I write the checks. But I swear I’m going to have an aneurysm burst!

Congratulations OP!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    the last beeswax I bought was $1/lb but other have said that current going price can be $5-$7/lb. if you can find a local bee keeper might be a good thing.
    Weddings, a legitimate reason to drink a bunch of booze and have a good ole time. brings up memory of the last wedding I attended, was quite the affair in really really nice barn in upstate NY, about 150 guests, rumored to have cost at least $100,000-$150,000.
    the grooms family owns grocery stores in Canada or something like that. I much prefer weddings to funerals
    Congrats to you, hope y'all have a great and memorable time.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Plus on the congrats. But why not just put votive or small pillar candles in the jars. Tie some nice ribbon that matches the brides color scheme and save a LOT of time.
    Because she happened to visit one day when a big box of beeswax was sitting on the table I'd just got from Randy and she didn't forget it. Wants old timey beeswax hey "Dad"..........lol

If 20lbs of Beeswax is all I'm out on this I think I can afford that! Oh, yeah. She also asked mom if she knew where she could get some old fashioned colored mason jars of various sizes. Green, blue, purple, smoke.. mom said "you do know where he works, right? Or is that why you asked"? So, several cases of those showed up.

My daughter’s first wedding was interesting, wife just about died from a massive high blood pressure attack. Daughter calls mother....you want to be at my wedding come to the clerk’s office in 15 minutes, I am getting married. Wife comes into my office like a cat thrown into a tub of ice cold water, bouncing off the walls and ceiling......I am trying to avoid being collateral damage....... Those two deserved each other, all year of their bliss.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast