Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB in Glocks

CB in Glocks

Haven't been around in awhile so thought I'd stop in and finally get a definitive answer to the mystery of cast boolits in Glock barrels?

What's the expert consensus?

I have found this video to be very informative. I have watched this guy before and he is very knowledgeable. I'd be interested in your thoughts after watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLN5xsZlaaE

Bill

I use a Lee RN 200 Gr in my 45 acp glock NO leading sized at .452

Boolit Master

Cast shot great in My early M23.
    The Fed 180gr Lead ammo shot like horse apples and Leaded like crazy.
    Cast #40143 shot Fantastically. Sized .401 and lubed with 50/50. Cast of an alloy of 50/50 - COWW/#2.
    My early M21 shot good with both #452374-RN and RCBS #45-201-KT.
    My cast loads leaded very little the factory bbl's. The aftermarket bbl's not at all.

Those aftermarket bbl's were purchased because the factory bbl's didn't support the case head very well. Never had a problem myself. Just preferred the safety factor.
    In fact with a lighter spring, the M21 would feed the stubby #452488 over 3.5grs of Bullseye.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hwilliam01 View Post
    I have found this video to be very informative. I have watched this guy before and he is very knowledgeable. I'd be interested in your thoughts after watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLN5xsZlaaE

Bill
    FortuneCookie45LC has a large following and many useful and informative videos. That doesn't mean he's on the mark or current on all subjects, though (the video is at least five years old).

My reloading logs tell me that I've put together about 150,000 coated cast rounds in .40 (standard weights of 175 and 180 grains) and 9mm (upper end weights at 147 grains) using fast powders (Clays, International Clays, and VV N320), all of which have gone through Glock OFM barrels. No kabooms, no leading, no guppy belly or smiley brass at all. So, it can be done successfully (in the interest of full disclosure these were not envelope pushing loads, and, again, all the casts, commercial and home cast alike, were coated with one or another technology).

All the Glock kabooms I've read about were burst barrels attributed to obstruction from progressive leading, not brass failures from hot loads in chambers with over cut ramps. I think the new coating technologies, along with appropriate bullet to barrel fit, make leading in a polygonally rifled barrel less of an issue, and if there ever was a problem with brass blowouts from deep ramps, I haven't heard of them, and anyway I haven't seen a smiley or guppy case in years since Glock reportedly redesigned the barrel of the .40 caliber models where the brass marking was noted (never saw or heard of it in .45 or 9mm).

FortuneCookie's comments about the risks of reloading in general are still true, but I think he still allowed that a cautious and careful approach to reloading ammo, including cast, allows its use in OFM Glock barrels, and a lot of folks are on record on line as having done it without problems, (though Glock may still void your warranty ).
    Last edited by kevin c; 05-21-2021 at 03:46 AM.

Boolit Master

CB in Glocks

I have used numerous cast 45s in my g21 (gen1 or gen2) over the years with no issue everything from Grandpas HG130s lubes with Lyman black tar to MP 454-200s PCd with no issues. After reading the warnings on this forum I switched to coated only but I’ve never seen any leading with even my grandpas bullets size .452 so my experience shows fit is,as always, king. But please use all what you read and use your own judgement. I will never again test plain lead just for a safety factor, not when Pc isn’t much harder to do and I do it so often. My assumption is the lower pressure loads like 45 will have fewer issues than high pressure like 9mm and 40SW.

Gun: 1991 G1/g2 Glock 21
    Powder: varying weights of Bullseye
    Lube: Smoke PC, Alox, Lyman black tar, homemade custom Felix lube
    Sized: .452
    Accuracy: as good as the shooter at pistol ranges, never tested long range
    Results: never experience any leading or case deformation

Boolit Master
    I shoot cast in 45 Auto, 40 S&W and 10MM. Stock barrels too.
    More than likely will shoot some cast in my M21 tomorrow.
    Why not?

Boolit Master

If worried, remember simple POWDER COATING is a jacket!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I'm not a Glock fan, but I tried my handloaded ammo (cast bullets) in a borrowed Glock 9mm years ago. Wouldn't chamber, but this ammo worked fine in several conventional hammer fired double action/ single action semi-autos.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    I'm not a Glock fan, but I tried my handloaded ammo (cast bullets) in a borrowed Glock 9mm years ago. Wouldn't chamber, but this ammo worked fine in several conventional hammer fired double action/ single action semi-autos.
    I would take that as you not having a Glock. My MO is, if I have different platforms or launch pads for my calibers, I craft, assemble, cobble together or concoct ammo that will be usable in all of that caliber based on the most finicky, fussy, stubborn or unruly firearm I have in that caliber. That way I know it will be welcome in all the others of said caliber.
    Life is more simple that way. At least for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    I would take that as you not having a Glock. My MO is, if I have different platforms or launch pads for my calibers, I craft, assemble, cobble together or concoct ammo that will be usable in all of that caliber based on the most finicky, fussy, stubborn or unruly firearm I have in that caliber. That way I know it will be welcome in all the others of said caliber.
    Life is more simple that way. At least for me.
    You're right, no Glocks, and no "platforms" either, but I do as you describe, if necessary - tailor the sizing specs for the tightest chamber if I have several guns using the same cartridge. However, since 1965, I've only found this necessary once and that has been with rifles in the .222 chambering, three Sakos and one Remington. A '50s Sako has a slightly tighter chamber than the other rifles.
    Last edited by lotech; 05-21-2021 at 04:44 PM.

I shoot cast in my glock 35. But I also have a kkm barrel. With the same load in the stock barrel, I would see some minor leading and the accuracy was not as good.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    I recall the proscription was against lead use in the polygonal rifled barrels. My sons gen 5 has standard rifling.

Boolit Master
    I got a Lone Wolf barrel for my G22 (Gen 3) when it was new because I was concerned about the unsupported chamber for 40 SW. I had no issues with leading in the G22 OEM barrel but IMHO I get noticably better accuracy with the LW barrel. When I got my G21 (Gen 4) I automatically got a LW barrel for it, however, I found that the G21 OEM barrel has zero leading issues and gives better accuracy than the LW barrel.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Probably just go to this Sticky Thread in the Handgun Forum and read all 636 posts which cover this subject completely.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...locks-and-Cast

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Bub
    I’ve shot plenty of powder coated boolits in both a Gen 4 and Gen 5 Glock 17 without any issues of leading. As long as you’re curing the powder coat properly and seating the boolits squarely (not canted) you’ll be fine.

I dont like Glocks and I will not paint bullets. So, in my Dads four or five 9mm and .40 Glocks I gas check them with lube and have not had any problems

Boolit Buddy
    i asked my local gunsmith about cast bullets in glocks and reports of blowing up and all sorts of horror stories his simple answer was if you clean you gun you will not have a problem and he was right.

I get some leading with my pc’d cast projectiles in my g19c from the ports to the crown so I just use cheap jacketed for that barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast