MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $540 for seven years for a pickup...

Boolit Master
    Boy, we must be on the same wavelength.

I'm in need of a new truck for work & daily use. My current Chevy Silverado has 345000 miles on it. I can't even get a similar truck right now, as they aren't being made. I need a Silverado, 4x4, standard bed, extended cab, or 4 door, with a V-8 engine.
    I've had a dealership working on TRYING to order me one & they aren't making any.

Communism, "Take what we have & want you to have,, not what you want or can pay for."

If you are not all ready, spend a few dollars a month on silver, how ever you can get it.

If you prepare for inflation, and it never comes, you will be happy it never happened, but if you dont prepare and it does hit....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SIL is looking for a PU, good luck I say. Needs to replace his kid's 98 burb with the 2006 4runner. You can haul more weight with the 4runner but need an aftermarket hitch frame. My 2004 had the frame hitch dingy, totaled when rear ended as it bent the frame (well it was a 10 ton truck that hit it). 2006 didn't have the dingus so I put Uhaul bolt on. Gave it to daughter and it got rear ended. Minor damage! Friend got a Ford PU last year, only one with available rear end to haul weight, Dodge &Chevy ratios are wonky.
    Whatever!

NEVER buy new unless you are a millionaire. Even a pickup. $40 to $50 k for a truck is insanity. And you guys that moan about a $2000 repair? Think of that as ONLY 4 months of a loan. And if you get a year out of the repair, you've SAVED $4000. $500 a month is $6 k a year. Insanity. I bought a 2005 F150 Loaded with everything including leather in 2014 for $11000. It had 95K miles on it. It now has 223,000 miles on it and I've spent money on brakes, tires, battery, two sets of the stupid individual cylinder coils and one set of plugs. Plus the major issue was the brake cylinders failing on the front last year. That was $400. The rest was normal maintenance. In over 75 months of ownership the truck cost me $147 a month if I were to just scrap it. And it is still worth $3 or 4K. So maybe $100 a month. I've saved $400x75 or $30,000 in that time on just what would be the difference in new vs used. Now, can I buy a 2014 to 2015 right now for $10k? NO, probably $20,000. but again, I'm saving big $ over new.

Boolit Master

Im in the market for a 4-6000.00 vehicle. Not happening the dealers tell me. All im finding is junk or more than i want to spend on private sales. I did find a Kia sportage with 125,000 miles for 3500.00 but it was converted to a right side driver for mail delevery. You cant see the speedometer and gauges from the right side. I don't have credit. Never took out a loan. Always paid cash. Even my house i bought outright.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master
    Your Dad is right. Honestly, my 2003 Tarus won't last forever and lately I've been contemplating building a kit car to replace it. I'd rather spend $15000 for a homebuilt than twice that for a car full of gadgets I don't want or need. I helped a neighbor build one 40 years ago and it was fun and almost easy. New engine & trans on a donor frame and finished off with the kit. Other than frustration and bruised knuckles, I'm looking for the down side. I have a monster shop to keep the project out of the weather for as long as needed, and have my truck (1993) to get around in, in the meantime. Oh, to win the lottery!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Was going over the remaining financial obligation for my 2019 Toyota 4Runner. I love it, and it will be a great vehicle for at least another ten years if I keep it. But, I would like a 1/2-ton pickup to tow a 22' RV camper, or a half cord of firewood, or whatever you need a 1/2-ton pickup for. So, naturally I looked at Toyota Tundras. The cheapest I could find within 100 miles was $48,000. For a pretty basic 1/2-ton pickup. The "fancy" ones were $52,000 and up.

So, since i have $6,000 worth of equity in my current vehicle, I would need to finance $42,000 in order to buy a new pickup. To keep the payments to where I could afford them, I would have to get an 84 month loan at 2.5% interest, even with my excellent credit score.

That's seven years of payments at $536 a month to buy a modest 1/2-ton pickup truck! That is insane! My house payment on a 3-bedroom home in a nice neighborhood is $575 a month.

I called my dad to discuss the dilemma, and he pointed out that in a couple of years, when my 4Runner is paid off, that interest rates may be up around 8-10% on new vehicles. And prices for new pickups may be nearly twice what they are today due to inflation.

He lived through the 70's and Jimmy Carter and idiotic economic policies. He thinks Joe Biden is leading us directly into historically high interest rates and crippling inflation.

He advised me to keep my 4Runner and pay it off and put extra money aside. He said he thinks economic end times are about to hit and a $400 car payment and a $575 house payment are extremely valuable and to not jeopardize either. He thinks the days of Americans moving slowly up the ladder of economic prosperity are over. That the dream of having a nicer vehicle and bigger home with just a bit more hard work and a promotion is gone. We are about to enter a winter of inflation and devaluation of the dollar.

Seems like now is the time to lock in a $48,000 pickup at 2% finance rate if in a couple of years, the same pickup will cost me $60,000 at 5% interest, right?

Whatever happens, I just can't believe that a pickup costs a year's wages or more these days.

My grandpa made $32,000 a year in 1979 as a union carpenter. He bought a brand new 1979 F150 XLT pickup regular cab 2wd for $5,500.

That brand new pickup cost him 1/5 of his year's wages. Today, a new F150 like my Grandpa's would cost $35,000.

In 2021, union carpenter wages are about twice what my grandpa made, or $28 an hour. That equals about $56,000 a year.

So today, a new F150 costs more than half of a year's wages in today's wages. Used to cost a fifth of a year's wages.

This is why the middle class is disappearing and why people are struggling. Nobody wants to talk about it or acknowledge it. But the facts are the facts.
    I bought a house in Las Vegas in early 1979, with a GIBill guaranteed mortage. My interest rate was 9.25%, about 6 months later, one of the Master Sergeants I knew bought his house. 18% interest. Knowing what I know, if I were you, I'd buy a good used pickup, and save my pennies. SWMBO wants to move back to Florida, now. With what I'm seeing, it ain't happening anytime soon. I still owe $35K+ a bit. House isn't worth enough to even make a down payment on what we want, which would be minimum 3BR, 2bath, with a workshop. Last time I was in Florida, in the mid-80's, I couldn't get what I want for what I could afford to pay now. Pretty sure we're stuck in OKC. Cost of living here is lower than there, anyway. Only problem is that it is sooooo far to get to a nice beach.

Boolit Master

There's a Dodge dealer in Waxahachie that has Ram 1500 trucks for around $23K. Pickup prices can really vary around the country.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    NEVER buy new unless you are a millionaire. Even a pickup. $40 to $50 k for a truck is insanity. And you guys that moan about a $2000 repair? Think of that as ONLY 4 months of a loan. And if you get a year out of the repair, you've SAVED $4000. $500 a month is $6 k a year. Insanity. I bought a 2005 F150 Loaded with everything including leather in 2014 for $11000. It had 95K miles on it. It now has 223,000 miles on it and I've spent money on brakes, tires, battery, two sets of the stupid individual cylinder coils and one set of plugs. Plus the major issue was the brake cylinders failing on the front last year. That was $400. The rest was normal maintenance. In over 75 months of ownership the truck cost me $147 a month if I were to just scrap it. And it is still worth $3 or 4K. So maybe $100 a month. I've saved $400x75 or $30,000 in that time on just what would be the difference in new vs used. Now, can I buy a 2014 to 2015 right now for $10k? NO, probably $20,000. but again, I'm saving big $ over new.

I see 2015 F-150s going for $20K-30K. That's an awful lot of money for a six year old vehicle that is out of warranty. For not much more (relatively speaking, and at a lower interest rate) you can buy a new one.

I bought a 2020 F-250 6.7 CC 4x4 in Nov. It made more sense to me than buying one 4 or 5 years old at $40K-$60K.

Moderator Emeritus

If you can't drive to CDA, or Kellog and get a better deal on a better truck to pull, I'm sorry for you. I am 280 miles away and wouldn't shop anywhere else.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Geez, if you want a new vehicle, buy a new vehicle. You honestly don't trust a 2007 with 210,000 miles on it to dive anywhere besides town? Good god almighty man, you don't need to insult me because you are too insecure in your own abilities. AAA insurance is exactly for that.

Vendor Sponsor

I ain't ever bought a new vehicle. Pd cash for used, put new parts in them, drove them until those parts wore out and sold them.

I got sick and tired of GM 4.3L motors with NO power and NO torque, so I went with Nissan this time, 4.0L runs it's BUTT off, but everything on it costs 3x more than the GM equivalent.

I got a Craigslist 2008 Xterra 2wd, put a motor in it, radiator, exhaust, tires and brakes, and a decent head unit that plays mp3s off usb. It went to Florida and back with nary a hiccup, got 20mpg good power good torque on the big road, this was supposed to be my work truck but it earned daily driver status over the Chevy Blazer 4wd with the 4.3 motor.

I really can't complain, I got just what I paid for.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy

In June 2005 I bought an '04 Ranger SuperCab XLT, 4WD, 4.0 SOHC, 5R55E, factory tow package, 4.10s w/limited slip - it had 2,107mi on it and is closest I've ever gotten to new. Today it has 119k and has been the most trouble free vehicle I've ever owned. It gets 19.8mpg on the highway and has pulled our 20' Hewescraft well over 15,000mi. Original owner left the receipt in the glove box, he paid just under $26k and 10mos later I drove it home for $19k after purchasing from same dealer he bought it from.

Boolit Grand Master

To those with a Ford 4.0 SOHC engine, be aware that engine has a fatal self destruct flaw. The 4.0 SOHC is a jimmy rigged engine, modified from the 4.0 OHC. It is the only one of it's kind with the design I have ever seen. The SOHC has two HUGE timing chains, and sometimes a third smaller one. They can not be replaced without special knowledge, and it's best to use the special tool set. One of them is in the rear of the engine. You can not replace that chain without pulling out the engine. Once the chains are gone, the engine is gone. Now you can replace the chain tensioners, and you should. Ford recommends replacing them every 70,000 miles. Do not brush this off. I've never seen a 4.0 SOHC that lasted without maintenance. Sometimes a lucky one makes it past 200,000 miles, but then sure enough bad rattle one day, valve through a piston the next.

These chain tensioners are a pain in the butt to replace, but it isn't the end of the world. There is nothing special about them. You probably need some torx bits, as Ford loves them, but the tensioners themselves are just threaded in from the outside.

If it ever starts to rattle, it's gone. Don't even bother to replace the chains. I've done two now. One still runs as far as I know. The other never even got started again before it was junked. When the chains fail, plastic bits and metal pieces end up EVERYWHERE. It is not fun to clean out. It would be a good excuse to swap to a 302 V8.

The 5R55E transmission is ok, nothing really good or bad about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    There's a Dodge dealer in Waxahachie that has Ram 1500 trucks for around $23K. Pickup prices can really vary around the country.
    A lot has to do with the option package, title fees, taxes, "make ready" & transport fees,
    and 'got ya' items like $200 for "paint protection"--- basically a wax job.

They often advertise a price of $XXX, 'plus--- tax, title, license, dealer prep, and a small destination fee'.
    After you sat in the clastraphobic little closing office, and got the final paper work, there was a "Whoa! moment".

When I bought my fleet F-250, Ford had a site with 'build this truck'.

It started with a base model, and as you added options- the price and weight figures went up.
    Just a leather bench seat was an extra $1,000. Fancy rims & tires could bump it $5-7,000. And so on.

In 2006:
    Back then, a fancy F-150 was around $35,000.
    My stripped down F-250 was $21K and change with a 6speed & 5.4 gas V8.
    My neighbor bought the tricked out F-250 with a Diesel, and his was $55,000.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Water pump for 1966 F100, 240 6 cylinder: $44.99 at Autozone with a lifetime warranty. Same thing for the 352 V8 is $51.99. Gas to drive 200 miles at 15 mpg and $3 per gallon is $40.

Banned

first new vehicle was a 73 340 duster. It cost 3400 bucks i made 3800 that year in the service. second new one was a 77 chev k10. It was 6400 and i made about that in the service that year. You can wait a couple years and then they will force you to buy an electric truck at 2 or 3 times the price. If you can get 2 percent interest on a new car load id be running not walking to get that truck. Yup a 600 dollar payment sucks but factor in your paying for 7 years but will drive it for 3 times that if you keep it up. Then you snooze and a year from now your motor blows and you find thanks to biden that 50k truck now cost 70k. If i guessed id say with him in office if you bought it now for 50 you could probably still get 50 for it 3 years from now after prices soar and interest rates are 10 percent instead of 3. trucks and cars are never a good investment but we NEED them and right now just might be the smartest time in your life to buy one.

I sent you a pm on the side about my truck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    My last purchase was in the fall of 2019. Got a 2016 F150 with 134k miles for $19k. In 1 1/2 years I have put on 23k with no repairs. Will need tires and brakes next year. A new one was about $55k.

It is not uncommon to see vehicles go 250-300k mikes with no major repairs. I figured I would get another 150k miles out if it....12 years. With the money I saved ($35k) I earn about $2k a year. That pays for a lot of repairs if I ever need them.
    Last edited by dverna; 05-19-2021 at 06:56 PM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    Water pump for 1966 F100, 240 6 cylinder: $44.99 at Autozone with a lifetime warranty. Same thing for the 352 V8 is $51.99. Gas to drive 200 miles at 15 mpg and $3 per gallon is $40.
    Not in 1990.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast