Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is your experience with small digital scales?

Boolit Master
    Not terribly impressed with the e-scales.

My current goto is the RCBS 304 Dial-a-grain. Have a 10-10, 5-10 and my first beam, a 505 all in reserve plus an antique Redding and Herters in the shadows.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I use a Frankfort Arsenal to set my powder measures. I checked it against an RCBS beam scale, a number of times, when I first got it. I found very little if any difference for that purpose.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    All reloading scales work ... at first.

Balance scales are driven by gravity and nothing else. Gravity is eternally dependable so such scales will last forever if they're taken care of. (Nothing will last long if it gets beat up!)

Nothing electronic is truly stable nor will it last forever so the question becomes how long any specific electronic device will last before it fails, and that my friend is a crapshoot. The brand and purchase price be damped, all consumer electronic devices are cheaply made; some will crash in a few days, others (maybe 1 in 20?) will last for years but they WILL all crash! The reason they get exchanged but not repaired when they fail under warranty is they're just throw-aways anyway, no one is going to maintain a costly repair and calibration shop to fix those cheep things.

I'm an old reloader (and former space program precision electronic instruments tech) who continues to ask,
    (1) what are quirky little electronic powder scales supposed to bring to our benches and
    (2) how are they presumed to be better than good balance beam scales anyway?

I've asked those questions for years but, so far, I've never gotten a sensible answer. Mostly I've been castigated for being an obsolete ol' poop. (I won't deny that but my ammo is quite good and such accusations really don't answer my digital scale questions do they?)

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    All reloading scales work ... at first.

Balance scales are driven by gravity and nothing else. Gravity is eternally dependable so such scales will last forever if they're taken care of. (Nothing will last long if it gets beat up!)

Nothing electronic is truly stable nor will it last forever so the question becomes how long any specific electronic device will last before it fails, and that my friend is a crapshoot. The brand and purchase price be damped, all consumer electronic devices are cheaply made; some will crash in a few days, others (maybe 1 in 20?) will last for years but they WILL all crash! The reason they get exchanged but not repaired when they fail under warranty is they're just throw-aways anyway, no one is going to maintain a costly repair and calibration shop to fix those cheep things.

I'm an old reloader (and former space program precision electronic instruments tech) who continues to ask,
    (1) what are quirky little electronic powder scales supposed to bring to our benches and
    (2) how are they presumed to be better than good balance beam scales anyway?

I've asked those questions for years but, so far, I've never gotten a sensible answer. Mostly I've been castigated for being an obsolete ol' poop. (I won't deny that but my ammo is quite good and such accusations really don't answer my digital scale questions do they?)
    My cheapo electronic scale came with a check weight to check it's accuracy every time it is use. When, it dies, I will know it. I will then replace it. I like it because it is easier to read, easier to use and I can keep it in my desk drawer. I started reloading in 1959 with a Redding beam scale and have used beam scales until a couple of years ago, when I took a flyer on an electronic scale. I like em.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I use a small digital scale to check things. Like to verify bullet weights, sort cases, etc. I swage bullets from .22lr cases so they all look the same regardless of weight. They are great for doing a safety check. The one's I bought were so cheap I keep one in the reloading bench & one near my computer. They were $8 each delivered when I bought. Very handy but I wouldn't recommend one as the only scale for reloading. BTW: these scales run on 2 AAA batteries that you can find anywhere. The first pair is included!
    From the reloading dealers:
    Attachment 283322
    From on-line store:
    Attachment 283323
    Last edited by pertnear; 05-22-2021 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added BTW...
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    My cheapo electronic scale came with a check weight to check it's accuracy every time it is use. When, it dies, I will know it.
    Char, what will you do if/when your scale fails/drifts during use?

I like it because it is easier to read, easier to use ...
    Easier to read and use? Not if you avoid using it down on the bench itself! If a balance scale is properly sitting on a shelf so the beam pointer is at or very near eye level it will be very easy - and fast - to read if it's a modern scale, i.e., one made in the last 30 years or so, and is magnetically damped).

Additionally, balance scales need no "warm up" to stabilize, nor are they sensitive to power line or battery fluctuations, nor do they mind stray magnetic fields, nor do they require being quite level on two planes. And, unlike most digitals, beams will follow trickling up your powder charges in real time. All of THAT'S easy!

... and I can keep it in my desk drawer.
    You got me there. Most digitals are small ... but I wonder where do you store all the rest of your half ton of loading tools and supplies? I mean how much would your reloading process change if your scale was simply stored with all the rest of your stuff?

I started reloading in 1959 with a Redding beam scale and have used beam scales until a couple of years ago, when I took a flyer on an electronic scale.
    First, you have me beat by some 6 years, not many do that! But I suspect your old very accurate and sensitive Redding scale was oil damped and, IMHO, they were indeed a PITA but those were dropped a very long time ago. And magnetic damped balance scales were immediately faster and easier to use.

I like em.
    Well, for your sake - and any others who agree with you - I'm glad cheap digital scales are made but, except for non-critical things like cases and bullets, they aren't made for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    I have a Hornady and a set of check weights in my hand press box. I've had it over ten years and still checks right everytime.
    I've had a little Hornady digital for at least ten years. Came with a 100gr test weight. Never had any issues with it.

The older I get, the more I appreciate analog tools

1hole:

Yes, that Redding was oil dampened and when they came available I went to the magnet type. I had trouble with one of those going wonky, until I found a bit of steel wool on one of the magnets. Have to keep those magnets clean.

I really am not interested in trying to convince anyone that one type is better than another. I was just responding to the OP who wanted to know peoples experience with small digital scales and gave him mine. I have limited use for a scale anyway. I am aware they will drift if folks try and use them to trickle charges. I don't trickle but use powder measures. (10 Lyman 55, 1 Hollywood and a RCBS Little Dandy. I keep the 55s adjusted and locked for a specific charge of Bullseye or Unique. The Hollywood has a micrometer adjustment and I keep a record of the settings and the Little Dandy rotors are not spot on according to the charge table. A few years back, I purchased a "powder weight" for the 55s on Ebay for less than $30.00. It really helps the uniformity and consistency of the thrown charges. Still,I check the 55s before every use, but have not found one to be off. I also check the Hollywood before each use, but again I have not found the micrometer setting to be off. Once I check the LD rotor with a specific powder, I record the weight and we are done with that. I also have the Hollywood and LD fitted with the same make of powder weight.

Over my 62 years of reloading and hundreds and thousands of rounds, if not a million or more, I have not found weighing each charge to be of any significant benefit. Even in my bench rest days, the shooters used a very high end powder measure when loading "at the bench". I never load anything that is anywhere near red line pressures. I learned my lesson about that many, many years ago. I hold the opinion that there is a finite number of stupid things one can do in any particular area. If you don't do the same stupid thing twice, there may be some slight chance you will run out of stupid things to do. At least that is my theory.

For my purposes the small electronic scale has served me well, but others may have others needs or other concerns. Everybody has to do it the way that makes them comfortable.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 05-23-2021 at 11:08 AM.

Boolit Master

I use my balance beams and have several set up and check against each other , they are what I prefer .

As to the electronic scales I have one , it is pretty accurate , I use it mostly for bullet weighing , have check weights .

They are quick and have been accurate in the ones I have used , I do believe in having both and the check weights to verify accuracy in both styles .

Boolit Master
    1hole:

Yes, that Redding was oil dampened and when they came available I went to the magnet type. I had trouble with one of those going wonky, until I found a bit of steel wool on one of the magnets. Have to keep those magnets clean.
    No scale is much good if it's not kept clean and undamaged.

I really am not interested in trying to convince anyone that one type is better than another. I was just responding to the OP who wanted to know peoples experience with small digital scales and gave him mine.
    And I gave him my experience, including what I have learned about both type of scales. Neither the OP nor anyone else here knows me so, IMHO, no one should take my recommendations serious if I can't give logical reasons for what I do.

A few years back, I purchased a "powder weight" for the 55s on Ebay for less than $30.00. It really helps the uniformity and consistency of the thrown charges. Still,I check the 55s before every use, but have not found one to be off. I also check the Hollywood before each use, but again I have not found the micrometer setting to be off.
    Yeah, a lot of people claim their check weight sets are wonderful aids for accuracy but, unlike a drifty digital, a balance beam scale's accuracy is in the beam itself and, as you mention, those precisely machined beams just don't change!

Even with check weights, I'm yet to see anyone say his beam scale reads "off" more than maybe a tiny and meaningless amount, nor has anyone ever said what he would do to "adjust" his scale's calibration even if it were found to be off enough to matter. Therefore, I see no way anything but a single check weight serves a beam user any purpose. My only check weight is 260.9 gr. and it proves my scale hasn't changed a bit since I first took it out of the box in '65.

I don't have an assortment of powder measures because it's quite easy to adjust my old Redding to whatever I want in no more than a minute or so; that certainly doesn't impact a reloading session very much!

Trickling matters to some of us and few digitals work well for that. I NEVER trickle charges for handguns or informal rifle ammo but that's not the only ammo I can make. ???

You are a continuous sort. I used to be that way as well. I felt the need to prove I knew more and my thinking was correct. Then one day, I got some unwanted health news and I no longer care what others think. I share what I know and have experienced and if others benefit from it, well they benefit from it. If they don't like it, well they don't like it. Going back and forth with you or anyone does not add anything positive to my life. So, I am done with you and this whole silly trivial topic. There was a time, when I thought I enjoyed this kind of stuff, but that time is gone.

I will add you to my ignore list. I no longer have any room in my life for continuous people.

Boolit Man
    I can honestly weigh my charges faster with my old RCBS/Ohaus 304. If your using a good powder measure and have a technique for throwing repeatable charges the beam type scales are (1) always accurate and (2) predictable. If your throwing hundreds of 25.5 gr charges, for example, you can easily see how the needle swings to the mark and predict a good charge. Swinging too fast and your off and too slow the same. I check charges maybe every twenty cases depending on powder types. Stick powders take a bit more scrutiny. I only use my electronic units to weigh and segregate cast bullets and brass anymore.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6F754E6D-3055-40CA-8011-4D0A793C8BE2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	283591

Boolit Buddy
    I have an old DuraScale that still works fine after 5 years. As to convenience, it depends very much on what you are doing. If weighing things like bullets where you want to measure an unknown weight or track variances in bullets or cases, they are easiest to use.

At the same time, they don't compare well with a good beam scale like Ohaus for actually charging cases where you want a precise and predetermined amount of powder. The digitals are slower to respond than a beam and with a beam you know immediately if you are high or low. The digital cannot begin to compete in time or accuracy with a beam when using dipper that throws a little light followed by trickling from another little dipper held over the pan or used to scoop and then put back a wee bit when you are over.

If coarser work is ok, using a good measure and technique is quickest of all.

Boolit Master
    You are a continuous sort .... I will add you to my ignore list. I no longer have any room in my life for continuous people.
    So, I'm "continuous"? Well, I agree ... at least so far. But your list for continuous people will surely be a long one!

Char, truth is, IMHO, my opinion about anything shouldn't mean a thing to anyone else if I can't (or won't) present a rational defense for what I believe. Young and old, the web is stuffed full of opinionated people but I'm not one of them and mentioning the poor state of my heart condition isn't a valid defense of anything.

Thanks for letting me know you've put me on your ignore list; I'm heart broken for now but I'll eventually get over it. I think. Maybe tomorrow?

i don't recall the guiy's name that I saw on you tube, he had a bunch of digital scales from very cheap to very expensive. He compared then for all the things that have been mentioned on ths thread.
    I guess I could put digital sacxle comparison in the you tube search and find the guy. Then again so you anyone.
    As for me I have bought several digital scales. Mostly for weighing cast boolits. Thought one might be faster than my beam scales. Even for that I don't trust them much. Most of them if you weigh one boolit ten times you get 10 different weights. On a 270 gr boolit they are not off by .1 or .2 grs but 3 or 4 grs.
    I do have one that is ok. A US Inferno by US Balance. It is a 20gram/0.001 gram scale. Switched to grs it reads to .01. The second digit flucuates a bit. by .01.or .02 so I just ignore that one. That's less than a 1/4 gr. So no biggie.
    I have used it to weigh powder and checked it against both the Lyman and Lee scales. About as accurate but needs to be tared every few charges to keep it honest. This makes it no faster than the beam scales.
    Leo

I checked for that video. Digital Scale Shootout. He compares 16 scales. Most are cheapies from Amazon.
    The Lyman and Frank Fort scales are on the video.
    Might want to view it.
    Leo

I will not ever use a digital scale for powder charges, period.

Have owned four, and all of them would drift too much to be trustworthy, especially for pistol charges. Amazon/evilBay scales are the worst.

The only one I haven't thrown out is a PACT II, which I use for weighing bullets and .22 cartridges. Even for that use I don't trust it. I can weigh the same .22 cartidge three times over a period pf 15-20 seconds and get three different weights.

Powder gets weighed on a beam balance, no exceptions.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    I checked for that video. Digital Scale Shootout. He compares 16 scales. Most are cheapies from Amazon.
    I'm sure he wanted to make his testing and report to be useful but, statistically, his tests are nearly meaningless.

Given the normal variations in all man made devices, a sample batch of maybe ten of each type would mean something but a single sample of anything proves nothing. Some individual samples will be exceptionally good and others will be exceptionally bad and a sample of one of each type won't give us a clue what the average performance might be.

Correct statement. If one were doing industrial process control (SPC) the sample size for each brand would usually be six.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast