Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lee case trimmer, how to use?

Lee case trimmer, how to use?

My buddy gave me a Lee case trimmer set for 9mm but there were no instructions with it. I understand how it works but I wanted to know if the trim lenght is adjustable. I went to Lee's site but they don't list any instructions for it there.

Also, I know it can be use with a drill but I was wondering if anyone has come up with different power adaptation? Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks
    Take care, Moptop

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Adjustable? For longer or shorter case length?

Power--cordless drill/driver, drill press, Lee Zip trim.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

sorry to add to this but what do the good people here think of the Lee Trimmer?

Boolit Mold
    You should have a shank that screws into the cutter head. When it bottoms out in the base of the case it would then be trimmed to length. I don`t think that is adjustable. Hope this helps.

From what I have seen the Lee is not adjustable. They should trim the case to spec.

Boolit Grand Master
    The only way to adjust it is to change the length of the pin that passes through the primer flash hole. In other words, it would be a one time adjustment.....grind or file it shorter. I don't know why you would want to adjust it.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    sorry to add to this but what do the good people here think of the Lee Trimmer?
    An inexpensive way to trim cases.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master

I use Lee trimmers, and like them. I chuck the mandrel up in the drill press and hold the cutter manually. Pretty fast and does a good job.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by moptop View Post
    My buddy gave me a Lee case trimmer set for 9mm but there were no instructions with it. I understand how it works but I wanted to know if the trim lenght is adjustable. I went to Lee's site but they don't list any instructions for it there.

Also, I know it can be use with a drill but I was wondering if anyone has come up with different power adaptation? Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks
    Before I go into my experiences with Lee trimming tools, I'll note that I don't typically trim my pistol brass.

I do take the time to trim .223 and .300 Wby brass and Lee trim tools are what I've used. I have found that if I tighten everything down and use it as directed, it trims as promised and within spec.

As mentioned by 454PB, the trim length is determined by the pin at the end of the case gage (it bottoms out through the flash hole / primer pocket on the lock stud. I suppose you could grind the pin shorter for a one time adjustment that could not be undone. Alternatively, you could not screw the gage in all the way to allow for a longer trim, but that would be wonky at best. I would (and do) go with the stock setting.

If you really want to trim to custom lengths, this is not the setup for you. On the other hand, you're not likely to find another trimmer for less than 5-10 times the price (or in your case for free).

My "fast" process goes like this:

1. Size / deprime all the brass I plan to trim.
    2. Chuck the cutter into my drill press with the appropriate case gage screwed into it.
    3. I load individual cases into the lock nut / shell holder and run them onto the case gage - I find cleaner cuts at higher RPM's, your results may vary.
    4. When I'm done trimming, I chuck up a chamfer tool (in a possum hollow power adaptor) to do the necks (and remove military crimps on 'pick up' .223).
    5. I then reverse the tool and debur the necks.

This is not really fast, but it's faster (and causes less hand cramping) than doing it with a cordless drill.

I recently bought a Possum Hollow Kwick Case Trimmer for .223. It indexes off the shoulder, so it still requires you to resize the brass, but it doesn't require the lock nut step (which I find to be the most time consuming of the process). I've not had time to use it yet, but I'll try to post a review once I have something to share.

Good luck,

Dwarf