Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: Attn. Lee Chalenger Press Owners

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.

Attn. Lee Chalenger Press Owners

The Challenger Press has a bad rep for being weak. According to a friend of mine this fixes the most common problem. Everyone should be able to afford it. It only cost a few dollars. It still wont make it as strong as a Corbin, but it will help with reliability.

"FWIW, I actually prefer the "feel" of the Lee over the 'Chucker, and I own both. When you replace the links, go to the hardware store and pick up four 5/16" fender washers and stack two of them under the head of the handle bolt and the two under the nut when you install it along with a lock washer or use a nylock nut on the bolt. you may have to install a longer bolt depending on the length of yours (I'm not one to judge if your bolt is a tad short, just saying, you may need a longer one...). This quick, cheap, and easy fix will prevent the link from breaking again. The reason they break is 1. Material (cast aluminum) 2. Length from clamping hole to end of link allowing excessive flex. 3. Loosening of clamping bolt. Adding the washers braces the sides of the links so they don't flex as much. I was lucky enough to have access to washers that are 1/8" thick so I didn't have to do the double-stack procedure that I posted, but the principles are the same." Toolman

Thanks Toolman for letting me post this.

The man selling the steel links on ebay goes by vortac240.

Last edited by jimkim; 01-01-2009 at 08:33 AM.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    All of your suggestions are good but I believe #3 accounts for 90% of the fractures :

"3. Loosening of clamping bolt."

It's hardly a fault of the press if the owner can't/won't tighten that bolt and keep it tight.

I have had many links break over the years and decided to make some out of 6061 aluminum.
    The fitting process is kinda slow, but on its way

Boolit Master

or you can retrofit the steel links with a couple other small parts from the new Breechlock Challenger(about $10 worth) and never worry about it again !

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    vortac240 is once again selling a steel link on eBay. He charges $12.00 for it. His is a one piece unit.

1hole I completely agree.
    Last edited by jimkim; 01-08-2009 at 11:31 AM.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it