MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: .375 Win.-Savage Model 99

Boolit Mold

.375 Win.-Savage Model 99

A friend has a Savage Model 99 in .375Win.. he might be willing to sell. This cartridge looks like a good candidate for cast boolits. Has anyone tried cast in a Model 99.IMHO with a 250gr. boolit it would make a perfect bush rifle for deer. Thanks in advance for any information.

Boolit Master
    I had a pair of pre 1930 Savage 99's one was in 300 Savage and the other was in 30-30 . They both shot cast bullets very very well !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Buddy
    Yah . the 375 winny is a good one for cast .

I have one in the 1894 big-bore .I had some influence from members of this board in my decision to purchase said gun . Something about "you would be dum to turn that up " and " the 375 and 38-55 are the 45-70s little brothers" .
    Real guns shoot at least an ounce of lead

Boolit Master
    I gotta agree with Nyak , the 375 is a pretty good round to load cast in !

Although I've never shot a Savage 99 in 375 I do OWN a pair of Marlin 375's . One's for cast and the other is for jacketed .

I've used my cast bullet 375 to kill a 7 point buck last season using the Ranch Dog 379-210GC bullet . That bullet was never made available to the public but he now offers and 379-235GC bullet that is just as good .

www.ranchdogmolds.com

Boolit Buddy
    Yes that is a good gun for cast.It is basically a 38/55 with more pressure and in a stronger action.The sightly smaller bore dimensions should make fitting the bullet easier also.I would by that if I had the chance.

Boolit Master
    I have a Marlin 375 and a Winchester 375 Big Bore and would buy a Savage 99 in 375 in a heartbeat if the price was reasonable.

John

In Remebrance

I'd buy any Savage 99 I could afford. Finding one in 375? I'd call that a stroke of luck!

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

yes

I've on hand at least one ea.of those 375's mentioned here, plus a Ruger #3..and still shopping for any that come at an appropriate price..Ken Waters did a piece on the 375W in Sav.99 rifle back in '83 , and wasn't happy at all with the performance with Cast bullets.(article is included in his book "Pet loads") I've not been able to get close to what the #3 will do accuracy wise with cast..with jacketed handloads the 99 has a notable edge ,perhaps mostly due to the longer barrel.. get it if you can !! Onceabull
    Last edited by onceabull; 12-21-2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: keyboarding error in "handle"
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Mold

Update

Just found out the 99 is unfired! I don't know what the price is yet. Just getting into casting.I really enjoy reloading, but putting those "J products" into small holes was getting boring.Already I have been looking at various moulds........... does this mean that I have the DREADED DISEASE! Is it possible that I will become a castaholic? Help!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by c1a1 View Post
    I really enjoy reloading, but putting those "J products" into small holes was getting boring!

I still like loading tiny jacketed bullets and trying to keep 3-5 in one tiny hole !

However when I traded for a Ruger 77VT stainless laminated in 204 Ruger I had a sobering lesson in futility !

Before I purchased the rifle the friend O got it from let me try it at the range using FACTORY Hornady 40 grain stuff . With and old cheap *** Simmons scope I was able to shoot a 5 shot group at 100 yards that was all in one hole of exactly .35".

So I'm thinking I can beat this and half it with my handloads . I equalled it with some degree of regularity but I never did better then the factory stuff

Boolit Master

there is another cal that I cant get to shoot with hand loads. I have a T/C 7mm-08 I have tried everything that I run across. Fed prem will out shoot anything I load. I have Savage 99 old one in 25 35 it has a 26in barrel It is a dam good shooter and it only has the peep site. nice thing you can shoot pointed ammo so the boolit choices increase

Boolit Buddy

Question

C1A1,
    For what it is worth, Ken Waters in his "PET LOADS" reloading book gave up on the Savage M99 in .375 Win. stating he couldn't get even near accurate groups due to the Savages shallow rifleing !
    You MAY be able to overcome this by using VERY HARD cast bullets though .

Hipshot

P.S. If the price is good I would jump on the rifle anyway as I don't think too many were made in .375 Win. and the Savage M99's are gaining a following as colector rifles !