RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Lee 7mm 130g Soupcan bullet hanging up on chambering in a Mossberg Patriot

Boolit Buddy

Lee 7mm 130g Soupcan bullet hanging up on chambering in a Mossberg Patriot

Hi guys,

Have any of you had any luck with this combination? I have a couple of Mossberg Patriot 7mm-08 rifles that I bought for my sons. The practice/light kicking load that I put together for them uses the 7mm 130g Soupcan boolit from Lee. Love the mold, love the shape of the bullet, but I can’t seem to get the boolit to chamber reliably. It seems like the front edge of the boolit catches on something in the chamber.

Is this something you’ve had happen? I’ve had a similar experience, I think, with the Lee Karabiner in my Yugo M48. I just chalked it up to the cartridge being too long in that one but, now, here I have the problem again with a different boolit with a different rifle.

8mmFan

Boolit Buddy
    By the way, if you’ve been looking for this mold, it’s available again at MidSouth. About $40 and it turns out really nice boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    Use a black magic marker on the bullet and cycle it in the gun and see what is hitting.

Bullet seating depth can make a big difference. Start seting it out a bit atr a time to see if it helps.
    Leo

My 7-08 Striker pistol , I have to seat the Lee 130 , 150 NOE Hunter , or 160 Lyman Silh. with the check below the neck and front driving band out of the case mouth a 1/16" or less for mine to chamber . The latter 2 I have to size the nose of the boolit down to .276" to slip in the rifling. It shoots the lights out with the 160 gr boolit .
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

When these rounds were developed and the original lots were placed, they were intended to chamber fit certain rifles. Lee cut them, but the original lots were non-conforming and required rework before being shipped to the original group buy people. Then the designs were taken over by Midsouth and got altered over the years ....... and Midsouth began fiddling with them more and more, sometimes at Lee's request because Lee simply could not hold their own advertised tolerances.

Now I find they all run OVERSIZED, but since not all diameters are hit by the sizer die you may need to size the bodies then separately size the nose section (at least on the ones like the 8mm Maximum that has a sized nose). The 7mm soup can does not really keep anything but a body diameter, so on that one you just back it up in the case until it will load and unload properly at the nose section.
    All retired now, just growing tomatoes and building and shooting my guns.