WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Spray paint can nozzles

Boolit Master

Spray paint can nozzles

In the past year or so I haven’t had much luck clearing paint from spray can nozzles. Used to be you’d turn the can upside down and spray for 5 seconds until only propellant came out. Now a lot of cans just keep spraying paint no matter how long you hold the nozzle in.
    I’ve started removing the spray nozzle when done and putting it in a small cup, smaller than a shot glass. Then pour a little lacquer thinner in, swirl & cover. Haven’t had a clogged nozzle since.

Boolit Master
    That's a good idea.

Boolit Buddy
    For stubborn things I use toluene(toluol) solvent. Cleans up just about anything. If it can thin contact cement, it can do most anything. I sometimes use it when I have too much Barge Cement on my leather joints, then it cleans up and the stain will go right to the stitch line.
    Last edited by Polymath; 04-27-2021 at 05:26 PM.

Boolit Master

I used the lacquer thinner ‘cause I have some. I think acetone will dissolve the plastic. No experience with toluene. Saw an article in a 1970 gun magazine where some guy put pieces of toothbrush handles in acetone to dissolve and used the liquid to coat gun metal he didn’t want to get rusty. I never tried it but it sounded plausible.

Boolit Buddy
    I have also used the lacquer thinner idea. Used to build car models when I was younger. You waste a lot of paint when trying to clean the nozzles. So I would put them into screw top glass jar and pour in the lacquer thinner. When ready to paint, fish out a nozzle a few minutes before painting to let the thinner evaporate.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Kind of related........

Yesterday I bought a can of spray moly grease for my garage door rollers/hinges. I'd had enough of all the tortured squealing.......sounded like I was gutting hogs every time we opened the door.

The can had no "straw", although the nozzle was designed for one. I looked at all my other spray cans, not one straw anywhere, so I just squirted little spurts on the joints. After spending a good half hour cleaning up drips, runs from the door and floor I asked myself:

Why don't hardware stores have a container of spray can straws at say, a nickel apiece? Such a simple thing would go a long way to help the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    Kind of related........

Yesterday I bought a can of spray moly grease for my garage door rollers/hinges. I'd had enough of all the tortured squealing.......sounded like I was gutting hogs every time we opened the door.

The can had no "straw", although the nozzle was designed for one. I looked at all my other spray cans, not one straw anywhere, so I just squirted little spurts on the joints. After spending a good half hour cleaning up drips, runs from the door and floor I asked myself:

Why don't hardware stores have a container of spray can straws at say, a nickel apiece? Such a simple thing would go a long way to help the customer.
    Should we start a group buy for straws? Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Banned
    ↑↑↑that's funny, I just use a rubber band↑↑↑

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    ↑↑↑that's funny, I just use a rubber band↑↑↑
    That's how they used to come, before all the new and improved plastic clips.

Boolit Master

The Dollar Store near us has a penetrating oil / light lube. Eight ounce can w/ nozzle tube for $1.00. I seldom use tube but keep a few on hand.
    Have to lube our garage door too. So, move the wife’s car or lube the hood, convertible top and deck lid too.

Boolit Master
    i use acetone in a jar. it won't harm the plastic nozzle; and dosen't smell as bad as lqr. thinner.

I take the nozzle off, use carb or brake cleaner, insert the straw on the bottom and give it a quick squirt. It works well.

Boolit Buddy
    being a natural hoarder I've always pulled off the straws off any empty cans before discarding, kept them all in a small metal can, along with any good spray can nozzles, never know when you might need one.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    I’ve started removing the spray nozzle when done and putting it in a small cup, smaller than a shot glass. Then pour a little lacquer thinner in, swirl & cover. Haven’t had a clogged nozzle since.
    Great idea!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Spraying upside down is a waste of propellant. The manufacturer's LOVE when you do that!!!!!! You will end up with lots of paint left in the can with no propellant behind it!

I have always taken off the nozzles and soaked them in lacquer thinner or acetone (alcohol for shellac). They are clean and fresh.....just like factory new!

The cans are then always out of liquid long B4 the propellant is expended.

banger

Yep, soak 'em a little bit, then hit 'em with a blast from the air hose.