Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Wanting to build entry precision rig, need help

Boolit Mold

Wanting to build entry precision rig, need help

I want something affordable in .308 that'll shoot decent groupings out to 800 yards or so. I was looking at Remington/Savage and they seem to have affordable rifles. I don't want to spend more than 1500 if I can help it... and I know that optics will make a huge difference too.... I will be reloading for this caliber.

Matt

For $1500 you should be able to get a gunsmith to build you an entry level benchrest, xtc, or prone rifle. You can also pick up some nice used custom rifles for sale. www.long-range.com is a good place to look for used rifles. Decide on what you want to use it for, what type of shooting then ask some gunsmiths.

As far as an off the shelf factory rifle, it depends what you want from the rifle. If you want to be competitive in benchrest or highpower target shooting it may be difficult to do with a factory rifle. However if you just want to play around with a good rifle maybe a factory rifle would be fine.
    Semper Fi

Boolit Master

If you are going to shoot competition in ANY of the disiplines do yourself a favor and start with a good used benchrest rig! You can find excellent rifles ready to go in your $1500 price range, but you can't build one for that kind of cash. If you are looking for an excellent long range rifle to play with, find a good used Remington 700 synthetic stocked Varmint Special, have it trued, properly bedded, have the trigger reworked, buy some first class reloading dies and components, load it up and shoot the snot out of it. I've never seen a shot out 700 in 308.Such a rifle WILL outshoot most shooters and you won't break the bank doing it.

Boolit Mold
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...PS_varmint.asp

Is this the rifle you're talking about? It looks great, but what aftermarket options are available for it? What scope should I mount? Might I be able to swap the stock for something a little more comfy?

That is a factory varmint set-up. It won't be competitive in benchrest or highpower. Like houndog and I suggest, if you want to be competitive in the target games you would probably be better off buying a used custom rifle.
    Semper Fi

Boolit Master

feller named bob white in new jersey has the biggest selection of br guns there is. search for shooters corner, i think that is the name of his business. 100,s of used guns!

Boolit Mold
    I wish bringing guns from USA to Canada was much more simple than it currently is...

Yes....that does make it more difficult. I do know there is a strong highpower following up there in the great white north. should be able to find something kinda close.
    Semper Fi

Boolit Mold
    Perhaps I should start out with something like a Savage 10FCP with a Millet 6-25x56 and a bipod?

A good piece of glass, which is just as, if not more important than the rifle will cost you 1500 smackers.

You might be able to find one of the discontinued VX-IIIs with a varmint or mil-dot reticle still available for a good price. That, combined with a short barrel Tacticle Remington 700 will bring you in at your price point. You'll need to get a quality stock at some point, but that rig will get you going. I'd go Bell and Carlson stock, Remington 700, and Niteforce scope -- but, now, you're at about twice your budget.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fry View Post
    Perhaps I should start out with something like a Savage 10FCP with a Millet 6-25x56 and a bipod?
    skip the millet.
    buy quality glass...consider 50% on the rifle and 50% on the glass......

at least a 500 dollar name scope.....
    if your gonna try to shoot 800 with a 308 you will need a tapered base most likely .

savage has some great rifles in 308....dot sure what an FTR cost but it will do what you want.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Mold
    What do you guys think of Falcon scopes? I've read good reviews and they cost about 500 bucks..

Super Moderator

................I bought a Savage 10FP in 308 (24" heavy bbl), Accu-Trigger. The price was $609, then there was sales tax and paperwork fees so the OTD was like $660. WAY out of character for me was the scope. I amd NOT a scope guy in the least, and researching them over almost 2 weeks had me more confused then when I started.

No doubt about it, there are a LOT of nice scopes out there, and most carry some kind of factory warranty and the number with lifetime warranties are surprising. I finally narrowed my selection down to 4 scopes, and then ended up buying a Burris Black Diamond 30mm tube 6-24 x 52mm with target knobs, mil-dot crosshair and outside focus. The best price I could find on it anywhere was Bruno's in AZ. Shipped it came to $735.

I put it in Burris Signature rings, and I forget how much those were. Back in my mil-surp days when I had an 01 FFL the money I paid for that scope would have paid for 9 surplus rifles (or more) . I still haven't shot all the 50 fireforming loads (R-P brass, 168gr Rem C-L's, 39.0grs surplus 4895) for it yet. Best so far is 1-1/8" for 5 rounds @ 100 yds. Many groups have had 3 -4 rounds cutting the same hole for a scant half inch. Remember I'm Fireforming here, and with Remington Core-Lokt hunting bullets.

The factory Savage stock will eventually have to go but I'm still in shock over the scope and not too needfull of spending any more money on it at the moment!

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned

i guess i have to ask what your accuracy standards at 800 yards are? An out of the box savage or rem with some trigger work (rem) and a good scope will do as well as any soldiers sniper rifle. there good because they know how to properly use the tool that was issued not because theres anything majic done to a gun. I agree that if you want to shoot competition then its time to step up to a custom gun. Winning and loosing in competition comes down to ten thousand of an inch not a tenth of an inch.

Boolit Master
    A Savage is as good of a base gun as any.
    There is one guy at our rifle club that has a few Savage rifles that are in the $2500 range a piece. Aftermarket triggers, VX-IIII's, HS Percision stocks, Pac-Nor Barrels, Ken Farrel mounts, about all the bells and whistle you can get. He can rig the 3"x3" plates at the 500 yard line every time.

I personally would like a Savage F-Class, just add EGW 15MOA scope mount, good set of steel rings, and a Burris or Leupold scope.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    Fry, I would look on 6mmbr.com or benchrest.com for a used Nightforce BR scope. Excellent glass for shooting at distance. If you decide to sell it, you'll get your money back. After you use one and can see what your shooting at, you won't want to sell it or use anything else. I've seen 8x32x56's going for $700-900 lately, so that will leave you with $600-800 for the rifle and rings and mount. New Rem tactical SPS 308 are going for $600 or slightly less. You'll need a canted base and some rings. And a Harris bipod and you can go shoot F/TR class.

Boolit Master
    The past 2 weeks I see nightforce scopes going for cheap and now I can't find one. Guess santa must have bought them up before he went back to the north pole.