RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: K98 mauser safety issue

Boolit Mold

K98 mauser safety issue

Picked up a quite nice Israeli K98 for the right price. DOT45 stamped, Brno action.
    Rifle has a VZ24 bolt fitted, action is good.

Issue is the safety wont engage, from what I can tell the sear is not back far enough to hold the cocking piece back enough so the safety cam can act on it.
    Whats got me beat is how to fix it.

I have another K98, tried the bolt from it, wont work. Put the bolt in the K98 and the safety works fine. Not an issue with the bolt.
    The sear in it looks fine, not ground but its not a WWII German part. Had a old Timny 98 trigger, tried that, no go.
    Swapped in another (German K98) sear I had spare - no go.
    Pulled my K98 apart and used the sear from that - no go.
    Put the bolt in with no firing pin spring, just to see if there is some weird lug set back, no movement.
    So its not the bolts and neither of the 4 sears I have will hold the coking piece back enough.
    With both actions out next to each other they look the same.

Its hard to pick a datum to measure from but going from the center of the trigger sear pin to the center of the front action screw it looks like this Brno action has the sear sit 15 thou forward compared to the K98.

Has anyone been down this path before?
    The vast majority of K98/M98 sears have that little step ground in them but from what I can tell I need one without it.

No Sarco in this country either

Boolit Master
    Swap Safety (only). If that works, then look carefully at the Engagement surface of the Safety into the cocking piece..
    May need more taper on the Safety itself.
    Otherwise.. keep swapping sears, until you find a long one.
    I have a K98 Sear (trigger matching) I will say is "long" but will check.. swap ya ... but, Only the Shipper makes out on that deal!!!

At one time Timney made a competition trigger that did not include a safety. I think they were discontinued (for obvious reason).

I just googled "K98 safety problems" and there's a lot of info out there. You jogged my memory, had one doing the same thing years ago but never got around to researching it.
    Thanks for the memory bump

Now that I think about it, that Timney trigger was a 2 oz bench rest trigger. That is probably not what you have, so please disregard.

Boolit Mold
    Dropped by a shop today that has odds and ends
    Got a turkish masuer trigger and sear (which, is longer without the cut), safety flag and another front band for $20 which was good.
    Fitted the sear, gave the safety flag a tiny bevel and its good.

Figured out that the action probably failed gauge tests during WWII, was rejected by the Germans and when the war ended Brno opened the giant crate of rejected yet still usable actions, quickly decided that they didnt really care if the trigger and sear from every other K98 would work in it or not, built a rifle and shipped it out to the Jews.