Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: .357 MAX Rifle Progress

.357 MAX Rifle Progress

I have been working on cast boolit loads for my Henry steel single shot that started as a .357 Mag. It's now a .357 MAX thanks to David White of Oklahoma. He has had a lot of good luck with this cartridge in rifles and so have I. 180 grain J-boolits can easily rival those in a .35 Remington. I have been trying 200 gr. cast boolits from Lee. They are gas checked and I have been using Carnauba Red lube. I have a number of three shot groups under an inch at 100 yds. Most loads give bigger groups but the number of sub-MOA groups makes me hopeful. I haven't done any chronographing with lead boolits but will. I am looking for about 2,000 fps with the 200's.

Today I tried some of Lee's 158 gr gas check boolits. Same lube, Lyman #2 alloy. I dunno but either I was pushing them too fast for the rifle or they need more testing. It reminded me that my goal was 2k with 200 grains. Don't know how I got side tracked.

Rather than fooling with the 158's I will concentrate on refining the 200 grain loads until I find one I like. I'll re-try the loads that gave MOA and work a grain or two either side. Then Chrono. The Lee 200 Gain GC has a nice wide meplat that should make them more lethal. I will sort the boolits by weight to help with group size. May try alloys softer than #2. Have not used any powder coated boolits in this rifle yet. They are the real deal for the 1894C Marlin in .357.

I don't know if I will even use this combination for hunting. Don't really need any venison. Gettin' old I guess. 74 in a couple weeks.

If I can get the Henry Dialed in my next goal is my Ruger #3 in .375 JDJ. Already have a few loads but haven't started testing.

Buy mom some flowers for Mother's Day. I will.

Boolit Buddy
    Please share what your powder and charge weight might be. I am working with a 350 legend with the same bullet and good results with 21 gr of W296.
    Some claim there might be better powders that might yeild more consistant results.

I like the Lee bullet in my rifle and took a large whitetail buck last fall at 200good steps, bang, flop, with a hi shoulder shot and the above mentioned load with a powder coated bullet.

Ar-15 function is good with careful crimping and I check reloads in a chamber guage.
    Last edited by mulespurs; 04-20-2021 at 09:57 PM.

Boolit Master

David rechambered my Handi rifle from .357 mag to MAXX. I bought two boxes of Hornady 185XTP and load these on healthy does of RX-7. It kills whitetail and feral pigs like lightning.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 281717
    Try this load if you’re looking for moa or less. Kills deer with authority out to 200 yds with no problem.

Boolit Buddy
    I briefly considered having my 77/357 reamed to Max but thought feeding from the magazine might be an issue. That Henry sounds like it might be a good way to go.
    Cargo