MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbine

M1 Carbine

Finding reloading components is near impossible for this. The only data I’ve found is on the Hogden site. I can’t find Winchester casings or CCI 400 primers. I had a brand new bottle of H-110 thank goodness. Anyone know where to find components?
    buzzard`s gotta eat, same as the worms
    Josey Wales

Boolit Master
    Not H110 label but our Sportsman's had 5 cans of WW296 the other day.

Boolit Mold
    Graf and Sons has PPU brass in stock. North East Target & Shooting Supply show 110gr fmj bullets in stock, but I have never ordered from them before. Powder Valley show H110 one pounder and 296 one and four pounders in stock. Pretty sure H110 and 296 is the same powder now days. IDK about primers, but thought Midway had small rifle the other day but were expensive 5.56 primers and do not show in stock now.

Boolit Master

You can also use 2400 in the carbine... Works well for me.
    Denny

Boolit Master
    Look at the 115 gr. .309" hard cast bullets by Rim Rock Bullets. I think they're essentially the same profile as the 110 gr. FMJRNs, but without the gilding metal jacket. You remark that you have H110, which was the propellant originally used in (and still the best for) the .30 U.S. Carbine cartridge. You might reach out on this site and others in their "Buy, Sell, Trade" sections for brass. I did this, for 7.62x25mm boxer-primed brass and bought some. But two other site members just mailed spent brass to me "to get it out of [their] way". YOUR results might be similar.
    I don't know how to advise you on primers, except that I WOULD NOT use small pistol primers. Once in a while, a supply of military-grade small rifle primers, intended for use in 5.56x45mm, will show up. I cannot imagine why these would not work well in your carbine.
    Best of luck!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

IMR 4227 is another good carbine powder.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for asking this question. I just acquired an original Standard Products carbine and asked the same question on the carbine collectors site. The above responses reinforce the information from that sight. I just need to learn how to trim cases since that is crucial to reloading 30 carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie44gs View Post
    Thanks for asking this question. I just acquired an original Standard Products carbine and asked the same question on the carbine collectors site. The above responses reinforce the information from that sight. I just need to learn how to trim cases since that is crucial to reloading 30 carbine.
    Welcome to the forum! I’ve been loading .30 Carbine for only 5 years or so but I’ve never trimmed a case yet. I don’t even sort the brass by headstamp they just work. M1 Carbines are neat to have fun to shoot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I’ve been loading .30 Carbine for only 5 years or so but I’ve never trimmed a case yet. I don’t even sort the brass by headstamp they just work. M1 Carbines are neat to have fun to shoot.
    I don't think I have even read of anyone trimming brass for the carbine.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the encouragement. The case trimming came from another forum, don't remember which one. I guess the OAL is crucial. For me the issue is being able to see the target with 77 year-old eyes. 50 yards might be it for me, but will try longer distance next week. Please excuse me if I seem to have highjacked this tread.
    Charlie

Boolit Master
    burch,

My best cast boolit in my Carbines is the 130 grain RN Lyman #311410 plain base boolit and 2400.

Adam

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie44gs View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement. The case trimming came from another forum, don't remember which one. I guess the OAL is crucial. For me the issue is being able to see the target with 77 year-old eyes. 50 yards might be it for me, but will try longer distance next week. Please excuse me if I seem to have highjacked this tread.
    Charlie
    Any and all replies are good. Well, I've been banned for off topic replies, so be careful. Despite being a rimless cartridge, I believe the carbine headspaces off the case mouth, just like many similar pistol ammo. I read on here some trim those too, but I have never trimmed a rimless pistol case.

Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    Any and all replies are good. Well, I've been banned for off topic replies, so be careful. Despite being a rimless cartridge, I believe the carbine headspaces off the case mouth, just like many similar pistol ammo. I read on here some trim those too, but I have never trimmed a rimless pistol case.
    I’ve never trimmed any pistol brass neither.
    buzzard`s gotta eat, same as the worms
    Josey Wales

Boolit Master

I only trim my carbine cases when they reach max length. Then I batch trim then to min. spec. Carbines are pretty forgiving of case length as long as it doesn't get too long. I've been loading them for over 30 years. I also don't bother with sorting brass for them except for commercial vs military. And I think that might be overkill.

Boolit Buddy
    I worked on using small pistol primers in the 30 carbine with cast and found my regular load of about 1850 FPS to high of pressure but no fails it's a high pressure round and I found that about 1600 FPS pressure was much better and doable and the round would still work the action if that's all I had . The 30 Carbine is really sensitive to how deep the bullet is set .

Boolit Mold
    USGI M1 carbines are less finicky about brass length than commercial M1 carbines.

Quote Originally Posted by burch View Post
    Finding reloading components is near impossible for this. The only data I’ve found is on the Hogden site. I can’t find Winchester casings or CCI 400 primers. I had a brand new bottle of H-110 thank goodness. Anyone know where to find components?
    Au contraire. One only needs to know where to look!!

Gunbroker always has plenty of listings for .30 Carbine brass, and if you bide your time, you can get it for around 15¢-20¢ per. The CMP Forum is also a good place to find brass.

I've chronographed .30 Carbine loads with SP, SPM, SR, and SRM primers and don't find a nickels worth of difference in velocities. The ability to use four different type of primers makes it easier.

Don't overlook 2400, especially for cast bullets. Other good ones are VV110, AA#9, Ramshot Enforcer/AA4100, and 4227.

110 gr. jacketed bullets @ ~15¢ ea.

If you cast, the RCBS 30-115-SP is a crackerjack of a mold for said caliber. My cast bullets from this mold are consistently more accurate than jacketed bullets and do not lead at all right up to 2000 fps.

If you're in a hurry and/or don't want to cast, Bayou Bullets Hi-Tek coated .309 115 gr. RN bullets shoot pretty decent (4" - 5") out to 100 yds. and at 7¢ each are ridiculously inexpensive.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    powder valley has 1680 and 4227 all the time, at reasonable (for this time) prices.

30 carbine will need trimming from time to time. I do like others and only trim when over. My lee carbide dies sort of undersize the tapered case body. My original rcbs steel dies properly sized the case but a bit more work with lube and de lube. I shot my WW2 quality hardware in a CMP match last year. Fun.

gibrass.com or Bartlett reloaders had reclaimed small rifle primers from military 30 carbine ammunition. I believe his price was $70 per 1000. They are fired in my small rifle applications and some handguns.

Boolit Master

RMR has 110 FMJ (13.5 cent each if you buy 1,000). I think they have free shipping too.
    Luckily I amassed several thousand 110 gr bullets back when they weren’t priced like gold. I trim .30 carbine as needed, mainly because while my inland doesn’t seem to care, my AMT III can be demanding. I use 4227 & H110. If you decide you like the H110 pm me.