Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Handgun Newbie loading advice

Handgun Newbie loading advice

I am new to handgun loading. I have probably loaded and shot well over 250K of trap loads, but not much metallic. I'm looking for info on 38-40 and 40 S&W. There is a bunch of 40 S&W data out there so that isn't an issue, 38-40 is something else. I will be using a New Model Vaquero, so blackpowder is not the data I'm looking for. Here is my dilemma, 38-40 has data for 170 and 180 sometimes 200 gr bullets. Most of what I find in lead bullets is 5 to 10 gr under that. Can you use the same data with Unique/Universal/2400 or TrailBoss but with a lesser weight bullet ? By lesser weight I mean 5 to 10 gr less. Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Banned
    yes use the starting loads and work up. Think about getting a Lyman Cast bullet Handbook. Another tip is to not oversize your 38-40 cases, just enough to ensure chambering

Boolit Master

Welcome to Cast Boolits! As Blanket said, you can use data for a slightly heavier boolit’s starting load and work your way up. It’s not safe to use data for a lighter boolit and not a good idea to use jacketed data for cast boolits. Common sense says cast would have lower pressures but some test data indicates otherwise.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Its always wise to work cast loads up ,not for pressure,but to avoid the situation where you have a barrel full of lead after just six shots.

Boolit Buddy
    Get expert advice from a reloading manual published by either powder manufacturer/distrbutors or reloading manufacturers i.e. not off some internet site...

Boolit Grand Master
    About the only handgun powder I know that you need to use caution with if reducing loads is H110/W296. It does not play well as lower pressures.

Most, if not all, of your Trap load powders will work. Like you, I have loaded over 200k 12 ga shells and even more pistol cartridges. Nice to have a few powders that serve multiple needs.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Welcome to Cast Boolits and the World of Metalic Loading!

Stepping down in bullet weight from published data is safer than stepping UP.

However we must be very cognizant of not firing squibs (bullets sticking in the barrel).

So this type of loading is very much more flexible that the world of shot shell loading where you “come from” which is very rigid, there are still some very prudent side boards.

I would suggest you research a little more for published data to allay your concerns and poke around here some more. Here is a little something to chew on:

https://gunsmagazine.com/gear/the-38-40/

I do not run the cartridges you are asking about or I could give you some examples. Do note there is a stark difference between revolver leadings and those for rifles in your cartridge.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 04-01-2021 at 09:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    "Get expert advice from a reloading manual published by either powder manufacturer/distrbutors or reloading manufacturers i.e. not off some internet site... "

^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^

A now departed good friend, and former owner of the Ruger Forum, Carl Laco used to OFTEN say; "Read the funny manual"!

Nothing, & I mean nothing is a good substitute for having know, published data from the companies that sell reloading stuff. Every handloader NEEDS several manuals to study, cross reference & follow.
    Lastly, if the data you seek is NOT in the manuals,, then a polite call to the maker of the bullets AND to the powder makers, can get you solid data. Remember,,, they publish stuff,,, so they have certain LIABILITY issues to contend with. And they spend the money TESTING stuff.

Beyond that,, the 38-40 can be a bit tricky in case preparation. Study a lot there.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition will be your guide to reloading the 38-40 and 40 S&W with lead . Be sure and read / study the first 18 chapters ... lots of very valuable information in there , buy the manual .
    Don't overlook those first 19 chapters .
    Welcome from Baton Rouge , Louisiana
    Don't be afraid to ask questions

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Thanks to all for your valued advice.