Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Dog Whisperers out there?

Boolit Buddy

Any Dog Whisperers out there?

Hey ya'll, I have an 18month old Rottie pup. He's the sweetest dog there is with people (especially loves my 2yr old daughter), but he sometimes has issues with other dogs. But apparently only when I'm around. My BIL's Lab was staying with us for a few months and they got along well, until I took them somewhere else. Last time I took them to my parent's they got into it and when I grabbed him he got ahold of the lab's leg and dislocated it. This morning, I went to get him from the neighbor's house whose cane corso he's been playing with for the last few months, sometimes over here sometimes over there, he jumped on him when I went to pet him (I usually pet him before we leave). Fortunately the cane corso is EXTREMELY laid back and didn't really fight back. I'd hate to think what would've happened if I'd have to break up a full on fight between two +100# dogs.
    For the record, all are intact males and altering is out of the question. I plan on Studding out my rottie once he gets mature and I think they are going to stud out their dog too

Thoughts?

Boolit Master
    I would think twice about studding a dog with that temperament. Once he bites someone, "alterations" will not be one of the decisions you get to make. With a rott and their reputation, guessing there are not second chances.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The pound here is full of Rottweilers and pitbulls. No one wants them.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    He needs to learn when it's the right and wrong time to bite. A good Schutzhund club will teach the basics for the dog AND you. The correction seems severe but does teach who is in charge. A 3-4 year old Rottweiler dog can be a handful. You don't want to have to have him put down because he mauled Fifi or a small child. Keep that in mind when you do the correction.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    I would think twice about studding a dog with that temperament. Once he bites someone, "alterations" will not be one of the decisions you get to make. With a rott and their reputation, guessing there are not second chances.
    No disrespect meant, but apparently you know nothing about the breed. His breed is not a problem, and he has the best temperament with people, he loves everyone. Never met a stranger
    I am asking for help with him getting along with dogs. Again, with people anywhere and when at home with other dogs he is about as dangerous as an AR15 in a safe

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    The pound here is full of Rottweilers and pitbulls. No one wants them.
    He's the 4th rottie I've had, and never had this problem before.
    All the ones I've had and all the ones at the breeder I got him from are just big ol teddy bears

Boolit Master
    Rotts and pitts are both lovable, gentle dogs with people. They also both have a tendency to be animal aggressive.

It's possible to train that out of them, but it's well beyond my limited experience in training animals. Especially once they are 2+ years old. I believe the general way to temper that behavior is to expose them to a lot of other animals from the time they're very young, and even that doesn't always work.

I have 2 half pit / half aussie shepherds that are sisters from he same litter, and they're aggressive to anything smaller than a human (but not to humans) that comes into the yard. The only saving grace is that one of them has a really strong mothering instinct, so anything in the house she perceives as a baby she tries to mother. We got both of our cats as babies, and she mothered and bathed them both, and now she's fine with them. But bring in an outside cat and she's aggressive.

I wish I had a better answer, but both breeds have small animal hunting buried in their genes, so getting them to let that go is a bigger task than I can handle.

Photos below of Etta "protecting" the new kitten from the older cat. She just can't help it. Every time the kitten would run off to hide she'd go grab him by the scruff and carry him back where he was "supposed" to be.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I assume his trouble is with male dogs. When you show up, he feels the need to protect his position in his pack. When you showed the other dog attention, he takes exception to it. He can't get angry with you so he takes it out on the other dog. Dog denotes male, bitch female. If he bites a bitch or pup, he's just crazy. At 18 months he's not even fully mature for his breed. He may feel the need to move up in his pack the closer he gets to around age 3. Then he may challenge you if you you don't maintain your position as the male leader. He most likely has no problems with the females of your household. Does he take toys off on his own or does he like to share with you? Or a combo of the 2? Sharing is good. Not sharing and cranky about it is a problem in the future. If he shares his toys, reinforce you going through the door first, and put yourself between him and the other male dog if you decide to praise the other dog. Make sure your dog is on lead before you do and praise the heck out of him before you touch the other dog.

Moderator Emeritus

That is good advice ^^^. It is very important to some dogs where they stand in the pecking order. Good luck
    Ron

Trying to be humorous, but accurate:

You would not pet your neighbor’s wife with you wife standing there.....don’t pet other dogs with your dog around.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    I assume his trouble is with male dogs. When you show up, he feels the need to protect his position in his pack. When you showed the other dog attention, he takes exception to it. He can't get angry with you so he takes it out on the other dog. Dog denotes male, bitch female. If he bites a bitch or pup, he's just crazy. At 18 months he's not even fully mature for his breed. He may feel the need to move up in his pack the closer he gets to around age 3. Then he may challenge you if you you don't maintain your position as the male leader. He most likely has no problems with the females of your household. Does he take toys off on his own or does he like to share with you? Or a combo of the 2? Sharing is good. Not sharing and cranky about it is a problem in the future. If he shares his toys, reinforce you going through the door first, and put yourself between him and the other male dog if you decide to praise the other dog. Make sure your dog is on lead before you do and praise the heck out of him before you touch the other dog.
    I think you're right and I have a jealous teenager on my hands.
    He'll play with his toys and then drop them whenever he gets bored and go off and do something else. I can take anything from him and unless I make it clear that we're playing tug or something like that, he just lets it go and either doesn't react or just looks at me like "Why did you do that?"
    He is 100% outside so no in/out of the door to use. But when we go somewhere like atwoods he gets excited and pulls to the door, but once we get inside he either walks beside me, behind me or sits/lays down when we stop.
    He's not as good with his left and right as his brother was but he's getting there and goes left or right on command more than half the time

Boolit Master
    He needs to learn when it's the right and wrong time to bite.
    That has bad idea written all over it. You real think the dog is capable of making the decision of "when to bite"??? Or do you want to "command" the dog to bite???

Rotts have a "reputation" and it isn't of being "teddy bears" that the OP seems to think they have...right or wrong...only have been around one...I wouldn't have been anywhere near him without knowing exactly where he was...owner eventually put him down.

Wait until someone tries to save their dog from him and things go from very bad to even worse...keep a good liability policy.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    Last November, I had to put down my friend, a 10 yr old Rott/Shepherd mix that I got from a shelter. He was about 92 lbs and the strongest dog I've ever seen. I had him for 4 years and at first, he had a real problem with male dogs. I worked with him for a long time, and always kept him leashed until he learned. I had to show him that I was the Alpha, and eventually he calmed down. I had to scare the karap out of him, threaten him, etc, and he responded.
    Pitbulls hated him - he was attacked four times in a year by pitbulls.
    He was not a pure Rottweiler, and he was neutered, but I still had to show him who was boss. I like the Rottweiler breed but I have no use for pitbulls.
    As far as not neutering a male - I had a wolf hybrid that lived to be 18 (I got him when he was 2), and he died with The Boys still attached. That was one dog (or whatever he was) that I could never conquer.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    That has bad idea written all over it. You real think the dog is capable of making the decision of "when to bite"??? Or do you want to "command" the dog to bite???

Rotts have a "reputation" and it isn't of being "teddy bears" that the OP seems to think they have...right or wrong...only have been around one...I wouldn't have been anywhere near him without knowing exactly where he was...owner eventually put him down.

Wait until someone tries to save their dog from him and things go from very bad to even worse...keep a good liability policy.
    You are obviously racist about different breeds of dogs, and the media perception has been about as fair to them, as the media is to guns, especially black guns.
    I have been around dogs of several breed my whole life and the only breed I've neve seen show aggression FIRST HAND to people have been rotties. the 4 I have had were protective but not aggressive. If they were pushed the probably would bite to protect but only after several warning growls and other obvious warnings. Out of my 4 rotties I have only had one growls at a person and she only did it one time with one person who was acting very aggressively towards me. My current boy and his brother I had before him have been the most affectionate dogs I have ever been around. as far as they were concerned, they were/are lapdogs.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    Trying to be humorous, but accurate:

You would not pet your neighbor’s wife with you wife standing there.....don’t pet other dogs with your dog around.
    Good point
    I have hugged my wife's friends in front of her before we/they left. She did get a tad uncomfortable one time when her brother's girlfriend (now wife) kissed me on the cheek before we left a "family gathering." Truth be told I was a little uncomfortable too but it was innocent, it was just her family's way.

All dogs will bite when they want to do so. Trained or not. Some are less likely. Cats the same. Only us that think they are domestic. I did find that my kid's border collies would bark and shy away from people, growl and bare teeth. Until you sit down. In their mind you are 'safe', I guess.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I have had success with an electronic collar on a strong willed German Shepherd. He is 10 months old now and he is very obedient. I'd bet you could take command of your dog the same way if you are willing to put feeling aside and give him the stimulus he needs to learn that you are the alpha.

This makes sense to me. I have not had a rottie, but praise is a very strong motivator with our dogs.

Praise what they do correctly. Ignore what you don’t want. (If you can.)
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    Praise what they do correctly. Ignore what you don’t want. (If you can.)
    Just like with kids! People always get offended when I draw that parallel, but between my many good dogs and my 5 grown kids, I couldn't help but notice the similarities.

I think people miss the importance of natural consequences, as opposed to punishment, in both cases. In both cases the result you're looking for is "When I do this, good things happen, when I do that, bad things happen," rather than "Dad will be mad if I do this."

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Some people take praise too far with a dog and give them a treat every time they do what they're supposed to do. You end up with fat spoiled dogs.
    I had a dog that lifted his leg on people when we first got him (including on me). I talked to a "dog behaviorist" at the shelter and she told me to praise him when he pees where he should, and don't punish him when he pees on a leg. Dumbest advice I've ever heard. I broke him of that habit without breaking his spirit. They're pack animals. Don't pee on the Alpha...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast