RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Compressor

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

New Compressor

I’m planning on getting a compressor to run small air tools, that I’ve had stored for years. Drills, die grinders, ratchet wrench, impact wrench, etc. I already have a portable compressor mounted on a tank, but the few times I tried to use it with an impact wrench, it wouldn’t work after fifteen seconds. I wasn’t surprised, but thought I’d give it a try.

Now I’m looking for a compressor that can be stationary, but most of all will do the job. I have three phase available, but would have to run a line to where I plan to install it, so that would add a cost.

What do I need as CFM output? Perhaps the most important part of the equation is the volume tank. I don’t like the idea of an inclosed unit. I would prefer the type with the motor separate with a belt driving the compressor.

The most reasonable prices seem to be complete units including the volume tank, that doesn’t seem big enough to me, at least compared to what I had used in shops years ago. Is getting one of these combination units and connecting it to an an additional big volume tank a good way to go? How many CFM is recommended? Or how many hp motor, which seems to be the only way many are rated, at least on the internet.

This is only for hobby type use or working on my car, not heavy everyday use. Therefore, I need to keep it economical or I won’t be able to afford to do it. Perhaps buying new battery powered tools would be less expensive in the long run. But I have always liked using air tools.

Thanks for all advice.

Boolit Bub
    Each of your tools should have a CFM rating , but for running air tools , Volume is King . ED

Boolit Master
    Look for a good condition 3 phase on craigslist. 3 phase is cheaper to operate by far.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Master
    you get what you pay for. ive been through many and in my opinion only the best quality are worth investing in if you want reliability, Ingersoll rand, Curtis, emglo, are a few good brands, might call a compressor shop and see if they have a good used one or rebuilt. you probably want at least an 80 gallon tank and 5hp two stage compressor to run a wide variety of tools without running out of air. it won't get you into effective sandblasting but you could paint a car with an hvlp gun.

Boolit Master
    Second on the volume, followed by refresh rate, both effect or how often it has to cycle to meet the demand for air

Going from memory most "standard" air tools operate something like 10-20 cfm and work off the standard 3/8 hose. Small volume tools such as nailers and the occasional tire top off can get away with the smaller pancake 3-5 gallon tanks. Normal general shop use such as your describing can be done with an off the shelf 30ish gal tank and a decent sized single or dual stage compressor (think refresh rate) available from most of the usual tool outlets. Allotted space and noise may drive your choices. I've had a 5hp 25 gal Craftsman for years that's done everything I've needed it to do.

The Big boy tools like industrial needle scalier and 1 in semi tire impact wrenches eat a lot more and have a bigger supply lines.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a cheap HF oil lubed 10gal 4cfm compressor.
    Didn't work well with impacts until I changed over to high flow couplers. With high flow couplers the impact had much more power and ends up using less volume because it breaks things free fast.
    Painting with an hvlp gun works for small jobs
    Drills, sanders and grinders are continuous draw tools and you really need a compressor CFM about twice the highest draw tool.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Checking shops that repair compressors for a used one is good idea.

Boolit Master
    My new battery operated 1/2 inch impact wrench (Milwaukee) is more powerful than my air impacts which sit on the shelf now. The rest of my air tools are smaller and run on a little 2 HP Makita compressor.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

The last shop I worked in before I retired had a 3 phase vane or screw type compressor. We never ran out of air with this thing, and there were 6 of us working there, and someone was always using an air tool of some kind. It was quiet too, compared to the old Ingersoll. But it was pricey!

If you already have a small one, another small one "T'ed" together might be all you need for intermediate use.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUIE...603e71553e9634

I have this one..... Love it, and it is quiet!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Bought a Dewalt 20 volt impact and haven't used the pneumatic one since....also bought a set of torque limiting extensions at HF and haven't used the torque wrench since either. For just household use, forget about 2 stage or 80 gallon tanks, I would get the largest portable model you can find, I myself wouldn't get a direct drive either. That will do all it sounds that you will need. Invest the $1,000 (or more) you will save NOT buying a "king-kong" sized compressor, in a nice line-up of the Dewalt 20 volt lithium brushless tools and don't look back. If you think you are going to paint....well, then you need a big compressor.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    The big plus is the battery powered stuff is portable. I got the Dewalt 20volt system tools. They ride in the truck full time so I can take care of business anywhere. 2 battery chargers is a big plus. I have a Rol-air Bull for carpentry work.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a DeWalt 30 gallon that serves my needs well which are similar to yours. I painted my stock trailer with it a few years back and it maintained the pressure needed for my hvlp gun. For a couple hundred more you can get a lot more compressor than it though. I purchased my gently used.

Boolit Buddy
    i use rol-air on framing sites for the last 8 years, no troubles at all and reasonable priced, change oil, drain water from tanks. Have used box store compressors before, they last about 1 year. they are build to a price not a standard for boxes stores. No idea what CFM what you need.

Banned
    To address this requirement set out by the OP:
    "....This is only for hobby type use or working on my car, not heavy everyday use. Therefore, I need to keep it economical or I won’t be able to afford to do it. "

You're probably not looking at a commercial unit set up for a garage or farm shop. Those are going to be too expensive unless you find a good deal on a used one.

As others have accurately pointed out, volume is the name of the game. Most any compressor can achieve the required pressure, the key is how long does it take to get up to that pressure and how often does it need to cycle.
    There's really no way around CFM but if you're not continuously using air, you can get by with a little less.
    For a 1/2" drive impact wrench and intermittent duty, you can get by with about 6 CFM and about 2 1/2 hp.
    For tools that use air for longer periods of time, like some sanders, you need to step up your game.

In a slightly related story, a friend's father had a huge homemade compressor when I was a kid. That thing had a giant two cylinder compressor driven by about a 3 HP electric motor via a very large pulley. That thing ran slowly due to the huge reduction of the belt drive but the giant displacement of the compressor made up for the leisurely pace. The tank was probably 30" in diameter and 6' long. If empty, It took forever to bring it up to full pressure but once there, it rarely cycled. That thing ran like an old John Deere 2 cylinder tractor !

I have an 5 hp 80 gallon compressor from Tractor supply. It runs my 1/2" impact just fine and after turning it up a little it runs a Coats 10/10 tire machine pretty well.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

If you pla. on using the impact wrench and die grinder any more than once in a while, I'd sell them and go electric. otherwise 5 hp compressor if you will really use them..

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    A big used 1800 rpm motor, 2 stage from a time when 5HP pulled 28 amps would cover an air tool shop. High RPM, high duty cycle doesn't allow the heat to escape. There is no way to compress air without temperature gain. You can't get moisture out of hot air so water gets in your lines/tools. There are air chiller/dryers but it's cheaper to have a large compressor that is off more time than it is running.

I don't have room/budget for that so I have electric tools.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 03-30-2021 at 10:23 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Voltage supply is a consideration as well. 220-240 if you have it available.
    Frank

Banned
    I have the harbor freight 21 gallon compressor , I've used the crap out of it it will run air tools as long as you don't push it .

While its been good for the money , get something quiet . holy snarkle its loud . by loud I mean 115 decible loud .