MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Piggyback II Q's

Boolit Buddy
    Except when we play Iowa.

Boolit Master

Have had a Piggyback since they came out. Set it up for .32S&W Long. My kids were just getting in to Cowboy Shooting. After about 5,000 rds I managed to break it. RCBS replaced it with a Piggyback II. This worked just fine. We no longer shoot Cowboy, but it's still set up for .32S&W Long. I like the little Ruger SSM 5 1/2" bbl and an old Colt Police Positive 5" bbl.
    And like many others, I size/prime off the press. Been doing that since My first experience with a dillon 450.
    It works well, have replaced a couple nylon bushings. Just don't slam it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Bub
    Getting back that extra bit of travel on the primer seat stroke helped the index rod get the shell plate aligned before the primer gets pushed up into the shell plate. My flipped primers went from 10-20/100 to 3-4. What I notice now is a slight bit of play and or misalignment of the shell plate with regard to the primer seating stem.

Wondering if others have this play normally? I do have some big scratches on the rod between station 1 and 2. I think that rod is what keeps the head from rotating back clockwise. Normal or not I am starting to look for a way to tighten up that clearance. I may try and swap that rod with the back one but it looks like I have some wear on the surface of the head that slides on the inside of that rod.

I guess priming off the press is an option but that feels like giving up, especially if it can be made to run right. Up until a few 1000 ago I never saw a flipped primer?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnForrest View Post
    Getting back that extra bit of travel on the primer seat stroke helped the index rod get the shell plate aligned before the primer gets pushed up into the shell plate. My flipped primers went from 10-20/100 to 3-4. What I notice now is a slight bit of play and or misalignment of the shell plate with regard to the primer seating stem.

Wondering if others have this play normally? I do have some big scratches on the rod between station 1 and 2. I think that rod is what keeps the head from rotating back clockwise. Normal or not I am starting to look for a way to tighten up that clearance. I may try and swap that rod with the back one but it looks like I have some wear on the surface of the head that slides on the inside of that rod.

I guess priming off the press is an option but that feels like giving up, especially if it can be made to run right. Up until a few 1000 ago I never saw a flipped primer?
    So just to follow up a little. I see that the support rods are really not the fine alignment here. They guide the shell plate holder to an extent but the final alignment is done with the Index Locating Pin into the Shell Plate Holder. While it aligns the Five Station Shell Plate on top, it also aligns the holder underneath. If the Holder is rotated just slightly with respect to the Shell plate, the Primer plug gets tilted or cast to one side slightly. This little cast is where I think I am getting my primers flipped or turned sideways.

Starting to look like wear on the hole through the Shell Plate Holder is the culprit in my case. The Locating Pin still has machine marks throughout. The Shell Plate Holder is cast out of something softer so I suspect it's worn over time.

I guess we will see if RCBS still makes them?

Boolit Master

My flipped primers went from 10-20/100 to 3-4.
    One (1) is too many. Have you checked that the correct "priming system" (small cup for small primers and large cup for large primers) is installed?

Has each primer been loaded in the tube correctly?

Is the correct primer tube (small v. large diameter) and transfer bar (L for large; S for small) being used?

Is the Rock Chucker handle being slowly and smoothly pulled?

Is the press firmly affixed to the bench and the bench is solid?

Trying to pin down vibration and "loose fit" issues...
    Last edited by Land Owner; 05-15-2023 at 07:18 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    One (1) is too many. Have you checked that the correct "priming system" (small cup for small primers and large cup for large primers) is installed?

Has each primer been loaded in the tube correctly?

Is the correct primer tube (small v. large diameter) and transfer bar (L for large; S for small) being used?

Is the Rock Chucker handle being slowly and smoothly pulled?

Is the press firmly affixed to the bench and the bench is solid?

Trying to pin down vibration and "loose fit" issues...
    Good ideas LO,

With me, it's usually a simple thing that I didn't realize I had overlooked.

And I admit I did go double check my primer tube size before answering. I don't think small primers will stay fed in a large primer tube anyway.

I just got off the phone with Josh at RCBS and they are sending me a new Shell Plate Holder. So I will report back how that works out.

I am starting to wonder if the indexing system, when it slightly over rotates the shell plate, puts the Index Locating Pin in a bit of a bind with the Holder and the Shell Plate? I know that my unit will do it once and a while and I see it pull that Shell plate back slightly. That would wear the Holder more than the Shell plate. Especially when I change between so many different plates.

Boolit Bub
    Well I struck out getting a new shell plate holder, they ended up being out of stock and discontinued. Since then I have found a second almost complete unit. We will see if this one is better? One odd thing, it came with a different 5 sided rod that rotates the shell plate. Of all things it had a different twist that doesnt advance the shell plate the whole 1/5 of a turn. Rcbs sent me a new one with the right twist. Wondering what it was? The explanation they gave was it was designed to slow the spin rate to keep from spilling powder and that my one way bearing was worn? Well see, they sent that new part too. The odd part is besides having a slower twist it looks to me like it doesnt twist enough. I wonder if it's out of a newer 6 station machine?

Boolit Master
    Well I struck out getting a new shell plate holder, they ended up being out of stock and discontinued. Since then I have found a second almost complete unit. We will see if this one is better? One odd thing, it came with a different 5 sided rod that rotates the shell plate. Of all things it had a different twist that doesnt advance the shell plate the whole 1/5 of a turn. Rcbs sent me a new one with the right twist. Wondering what it was? The explanation they gave was it was designed to slow the spin rate to keep from spilling powder and that my one way bearing was worn? Well see, they sent that new part too. The odd part is besides having a slower twist it looks to me like it doesnt twist enough. I wonder if it's out of a newer 6 station machine?
    I had not read your previous post until today and was going to suggest you change the nylon indexer bushing, not the bearing...

I always start every loading session wiping a thin coat of lube on the index rod and use a needle luber on the one way bearing.

I don't remember any 6 station RCBS presses and the current presses are 5 and 7 stations with a completely different index mechanism.

I think having less of a twisted index rod allows the index locating pin complete the index.
    If the shell plate over indexes, with the locating pin pulling it back, would put stress on the one way bearing.

You could remove the index rod and hand index the shell plate, while loading, and see what problems change.
    That would be an indicator to what the problem is, the rod, the bearing, or the nylon index bushing.
    good luck on your quest,
    Edit: in addition, I suggest you remove the shell plate and check the operation of the detent ball and spring.
    Edit2: here's a pic of the ram held up off the locating pin by an empty primer tray.
    I can hand index the shell plate to clear it or check/feel the indexing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tray.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	316957
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TrayUp.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	316958
    jmo,
    Last edited by Kenstone; 08-13-2023 at 04:06 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master

I was given a used one back in the late 80s/early 90s and have used it faithfully with darn few issues since. That includes 1000s of .223 rifle rounds. I have had no issues priming on the press, mine has never given me any problems.

Keep extra nylon hex bushings (free from RCBS) in your spare parts kit. I've changed mine maybe twice in 30+ years.

I'm not exaggerating, I've easily got 25-30K rounds+ through mine (and remember I got it USED). I liked it so much I bought an Ammo Master Auto for .30-06 and similar rounds that are too long for the PB. It's the same system just longer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12