Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Round ball loose in hull

Round ball loose in hull

I made a few 20ga single round ball loads but the crimp tool hits the ball before going any further down. So I'm thinking of using an over card to get a good roll crimp and keep pressure on the ball to prevent it from rattling around.

For the few that I made already would they be safe to fire if the ball moves back and fourth in the Hull?

Boolit Grand Master

Not a 20 ga. guy but definitely a round ball shooter...

A loose crimp might result in poor ignition depending on powder used. Well, it'll probably result in erratic ignition regardless but with fast powders may not be a big issue. With slow powders like Blue Dot you could get squib loads.

I wouldn't say unsafe to shoot but if you get a blooper check the bore to make sure it is clear.

When you say the ball is loose, hows is it loaded? Is it in a shotcup? If so is it raise up so the "nose" is flush with or a little outside the petals?

If the ball is loose in the hull so it rattles side to side it will not be accurate regardless of crimp.

Longbow

It's in a wad but I trim the petals to about halfway on the ball since I dont think I want to roll crimp the wad. It just rattles when you shake it up and down not much sideways movement.

Banned
    Hello Commando223, the most important information to give us a clear picture of what you are doing:
    A. What size RB
    B. What type of gun being used.
    C. Rifled or smoothbore ?
    D. 2 3/4 inch hull or 3 inch
    E. What is the barrel OD at muzzle for your own safety !
    F. Did you do the push through test backwards before you even started loading, if using a smoothbore ?
    G. Is your barrel choked ?

This part of the Forum is loaded with the information what steps to take before loading.
    Please read carefully and then ask questions.

Ajay

Boolit Grand Master

Okay. I wasn't quite sure what you meant when you said it moved back and forth. Sounds like you have centering issues covered using a wad and trimming petals back. You should put a 1/8" nitro card wad under the ball if you haven't. Depending on wad, they tend to try to wrap around the ball when 10,000 PSI kicks them in the butt. That doesn't help your crimp though.

I am a bit surprised that the roll crimper is hitting the ball before the crimp is deep enough to hold it tight since most Foster slugs are round nose and pretty close to hemispherical. Is the roll crimper leaving marks on the ball or is your crimp just stopping short? If there are no marks on the ball apply a little more pressure to the roll crimper so see if you can get more fold over. If there are marks on the ball that is a bit odd that the crimp isn't tight against it. I think anyway.

Longbow

This is for a smoothbore 590 Shockwave in 20-Gauge 14" barrel no chokes I'm using a .570 Hornady round ball you can see where the flat spot is on the ball this is from the roll crimper, I tried one with an overshot card and it worked great no rattle at all when I shake it. I just wasn't sure about the two on the left when you shake them you can hear & feel the ball move up and down maybe 1/8 of an inch.

I'm just wondering if it's ok to shoot them with some movement like that. I think I will use the overshot card from now on to eliminate any movement.

Also when the wad petals extend passed the ball do they need to be trimmed so they don't get caught in the roll crimp? I assumed they would so cut them shorter.

I just colored that last one on the right with black sharpie for no reason at all.

Banned
    The ones loaded, practice firing them from the hip and see how good you can be if needed without aiming !
    Ajay

Boolit Grand Master

If you have access to a lathe, I'd open up the roll crimp center to clear the ball and get a deeper crimp.

However, nothing wrong with an over ball card wad. And no issue shooting the other two, just if you get a blooper check your bore before shooting again to make sure it is clear. I doubt it'll be an issue becuase the primer will probably blow the payload up against the crimp then pressure will build.

Yes, either raise the ball up on nitro card wads or trim the petals to just above mid ball. They can get caught opening the crimp if too long. Doesn't do them any good.

Longbow

Boolit Master

had the same issue, bought a better quality roll crimper with a deeper center and problem was solved.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I recently had the same issue with some 12 ga stuff I was working on. Considered altering my crimper but before I did that I tried seating the ball a little deeper, leaving a little more shotshell case above it. Solved the problem, "longer" roll crimp that stopped the rattling.

Boolit Master
    If you are unable to solve the bit of looseness you have in the crimped loads, just as longbow already said....an overshot card is fine. It will not hurt accuracy at all (I ALWAYS use one in my 20 gauge round ball loads). So, if I were you, rather than going to too much bother in modifying the crimp tool, or replacing it with another... I'd just make the overshot card SOP. Problem solved.

Just shove the crimp deeper. You have good looking crimps you just need to push them down farther until the ball doesn't move around. The fact that the tool hits the ball makes no difference, it will leave a mark on the ball or slug which won't hurt anything.

All you need to do is push the crimp down a little more until the ball doesn't move. I have to do this every single time I set up a roll crimp. You are basically "creeping up" on the crimp. You just didn't go far enough.

That said, I usually Fold Crimp my Round Ball Loads as they are just my Trap Loads with the ball and felt wad substituted.

Randy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464797.JPG   47190.JPG   47189.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com