RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: alox to other comparison

Boolit Buddy

alox to other comparison

Has there been any testing done to compare the accuracy potential of the NRA 50/50 Alox/Beeswax bullet lube with other lubes as accuracy in rifle loads? A referance to a web site for such would be appreciated.

I have been reviewing the results of matches in the Fouling Shot and it lists several lubes of which I have no knowledge. LBT Blue, MLT, Texaco-Turax. I have no idea what they are or where they are obtained. I assume Grey 24 comes from Tom Grey, former sec. of the Cast Lead Bullet Asso., but do not know what it is made of.

Can anyone shed any light?

Regards,
    dahermit

Boolit Grand Master

dahermit;
    I believe that Tom Gray's lube is a proprietary secret. He used to sell it and maybe still does. You might ask him (can be reached on the Cast Bullet Ass'n forum).

Dale53

I believe that the NRA Alox lube is probably the most tested lube in the world. Everyone who makes a bullet lube judges it against the NRA lube. Everyone who has been shooting cast bullets for the last ten or fifteen years has judged other lubes against the NRA standard lube. If you have a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook there are plenty of references to it there.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawpaw
    I believe that the NRA Alox lube is probably the most tested lube in the world. Everyone who makes a bullet lube judges it against the NRA lube. Everyone who has been shooting cast bullets for the last ten or fifteen years has judged other lubes against the NRA standard lube. If you have a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook there are plenty of references to it there.
    The publication of the Cast Lead Bullet Asso., The Fouling Shot, has data from their cast lead bullet shoots. Few of the competitors are using NRA formual Alox/Bees Wax anymore. What I'm interested in is the data that would indicate why Alox has been mostly replaced in this high-end competition with rifle cast rifle bullets. I have used Alox/Bees wax for longer than most of the posters here are old...But I'm not too old to look at something new. But, I want data to examine before I goes hog wild over new fangled "improvements."
    Regards,
    Dahermit
    Cast'en bullets since 1963

Boolit Master
    I use the 50/50 mix for some things. I bought some 50/50 mix with carnuba wax added from LAR45. Its still NRA formula base. The carnuba wax makes it less sticky and it stays in the lube grooves instead of getting all over my cases and other boolits. I don't know what ratio he uses, but it works in the 45s, 22 centerfire at 2684 fps, 308 and '06. ONE lube for all calibers. The only thing I don't use it in is my son's 7.65 arg because we use Lee Liquid Alox and a .314 push through sizer.

David

Boolit Master
    As for Tom Gray I have been un sucessfull in reaching him, I want to try #24 also.
    If anyone has A Email for him I would love to get it.
    Thanks....Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dahermit
    Has there been any testing done to compare the accuracy potential of the NRA 50/50 Alox/Beeswax bullet lube with other lubes as accuracy in rifle loads? A referance to a web site for such would be appreciated.

Hermmy,

There have been many tests. Lube alows you to fire a round until you get the pressure right to produce the right barrel time that agrees with the harmonic frequency your barrel performs at. The wider the pressure application of a lube, the wider pressure range you will have to operate to find that accuracy point. So you have more chance of finding it.

Ever wonder why there are so many lubes and everyone prefers something else? That's because each lube performs a function that something else does not for a specific barrel / load combination. Then there is how much lube you need a bullet to carry of it. If you need too wide of grooves, you cut the amount of lead in contact with the rifling. A no,no. So lube requires a balance between the pressure / velocity application to a particular bullet / bore combination.

50/50 has probably one of the widest applications of any lube at normal cast bullet levels. It has one distinct limitation though. Heat. So since the bench resters are burning off their shots to keep a barrel warm, 50/50 isn't working for them. Most handguners desiring high rates of fire tend to shy aways from it too. That's why you see everyone using something different. And sadly, you probably always will. That's why accuracy tests with lube basically are a waste of time unless you are always going to use that bullet, in that gun, within that velocity / pressure range. And if you are, why not just use the same load?

Outside of that, accuracy testing for lube for the sake of accuracy testing, is basically worthless. It's like everyone going to one powder.