RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: What's a Good Mold for 44 Round Ball?

Boolit Buddy

What's a Good Mold for 44 Round Ball?

A friend of mine is getting a cap and ball revolver to plink with and I'm wondering what is a decent mold to make 44 caliber round ball with. The gun he is getting is the Uberti Model 0048 8" 1860 Army in 44 caliber.

I have plenty of black powder, but I suspect getting caps will cost a kidney if you can even find them. In the mean time I was going to maybe try and pick up a mold on here to at least get a stock of round ball going. I just don't know what to go with for round ball.

Boolit Master
    It my understanding that the cast round ball should be large enough so a thin lead ring is shaved off the fullest diameter of the ball (equator ?) when the ball is pressed into the chambers.

This ensures a tight fit in the chamber to help avoid a flash over which could ignite the powder in the chambers beside the intended fired chamber.

Smearing a grease lube like SPG brand over the seated balls is also needed to ensure against a flash over. The lube also keeps the powder fouling soft for longer string of shots before a barrel cleaning is required.

So I would hold off on a mold purchase until the chamber charge holes can be accurately measured or the firearm manufacturer tells you a recommended ball size.

Boolit Buddy
    That sounds like some sound advice. I will wait until he gets the gun and then mic the chambers. I'll also check to see if there are instructions with it that recommend the size and then check that against my mic readings.

Boolit Master

Get A LEE 2 cavity 0.454 round ball mold. Use soft lead.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I use a .454 RB or you can use a .457. They should be cast from soft lead so you can shear a ring when seating in the chamber. Plenty of videos out there on shooting c & b revolves as well as manuals that you can look up. He should be able too download a manual from the UbertiUSA site.

The biggest issue right now will be finding a mold if you/he doesn't have one. Don't be fussy on the mold - a Lee, Lyman, Ideal, RCS, Ohaus, etc. will all cast a round ball just fine. If you can't find a mold - look for some Hornady swaged balls in either .454 or .457.

Boolit Master
    .454 is the one you want. .457 will work but is a lot harder to load. All my bp revolvers use the .454 .the Rugers use the .457 and some very high dollar target bp pistols. You can look on Dixie gun works site. They have every name brand pistol and tell you the size you need. They also tell you the twist ,bore diameter, riffling depth

The Gun Works has Lee .454 round ball mold in stock
    Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready.

Theodore Roosevelt- San Francisco May 13, 1903

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like the Lee .454 is the way to go. I have soft lead ingots I have melted from old fishing weights and from x-ray room lead. I think those would be soft enough.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the tip. Just placed my order.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumberman31 View Post
    The Gun Works has Lee .454 round ball mold in stock