Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Problem With RCBS Automatic Priming Tool

Boolit Master

Problem With RCBS Automatic Priming Tool

I use the priming tool named in the thread title. I've always called it a bench priming tool. Everything has worked fine until this evening. I was about to wind down after priming almost 100 .38 Spec cases. when one stuck in the shell holder. I've tried everything I could think of without getting too heavy handed. The only things I can think of that may have caused the problem is(I'm embarrassed to say it) that I stuck an already primed case in the shell holder and tried to push home another primer.

OR, something happened to the priming rod. I've tried to disassemble it but can't get what is called the main ram out of the body casting. I don't want to destroy the tool. I bought it used from a member here and have used it on just about every thing that I don't load on the Dillon and some of them when I don't want to do a changeover.

Any ideas?
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Could you remove the other primers from the priming tool , let the case set full of wd40 or Pb blaster or some penetrating oil over night , slip a universal de-capping die or any die large enough to slip over the case and tap the die to knock the primers back out .

Boolit Master

That sounds like a plan for tomorrow. I never thought of it. I've got lots of Kroil. I'll try it first thing and let it set while I take care of things that I have to do. The only problem I see is the priming rod will resist the primers being knocked out. We'll see.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ting%20primers.
    If this is the one you have if you can pull the handle off it may let the primer punch push out with the jammed primers/primer .
    the only problem like you describe I have had on mine was when I used a shell holder that did not have the groove cut in to allow a high primer to slide out of the shell holder . I was able to get it seated deep enough to get it to slide out. But if the case you are priming had a crimped primer and slipped through with out getting the crimp removed , or some way or another you have more the one primer trying to seat or one side ways you may have to do a little disassembly to get enough slack to push out the obstruction.

If that is the one you have you can take the set screw out of the side of the housing and remove the whole punch holder assembly.

Wes
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
    SASS 17373
    Proud Dad of a USAF Airman

Boolit Grand Master
    If you try tapping it out, wear safety glass to better yet a face shield. I would not trust Kroil or anything else to "kill" a primer. I like the idea from para45lda
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I've used a 1/16" punch to gently tap out a twisted primer jamming up the works, haven't had one go off so far.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by para45lda View Post
    If that is the one you have you can take the set screw out of the side of the housing and remove the whole punch holder assembly.

Wes
    I have never tried to pull that primer punch out of the bottom but it looks like it might be to long .
    And if he leaves the decap rod in the universal die it will contain the top if the primer goes off but it may blow the cup out the bottom and it may be possible there is the primer in the case and one under it . Will be interesting to see what happened when he gets it apart.
    Can't be to careful .

Boolit Master

The cause may be the round you were priming did not have all the primer knocked out. It may be the circumference of the primer stayed in the brass and just the end where the firing pin strikes was punched out.
    I had this happen on a Dillon and had to remove the shell holder to get the round out.

Boolit Master

I unintentionally set off a few large rifle primers in 30-30 and 270 calibers with Lee Loaders. They were loud, surprised me, left a soot mark on the meaty part of the palm as I "hammered" the steel priming rod down through the bottle necked case mouth, but, after-the-fact, these "inadvertent discharges" did not cause harm nor "shoot" the priming rod out of the case. I wouldn't call that and its overabundant concern a "nothing burger," but it was real close.

I recommend following para45lda's advice. Take the set screw out, drop the Universal's priming rod, and punch out the primer from the case. IMO, don't fret about it being a live primer.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

OK! I got it all disassembled. The main ram was a bear to get out of the body casting. It apparently had a burr on it so I used a 3/8 drive socket underneath and pushed it out with a pry bar. Put the ram in a vise(padded) and used a small punch to tap out the primer. I was surprised when I only saw one primer, a live one. I still don't know what caused the problem.

I sanded down the main ram to eliminate the burr and everything went back together without any problem. I proceeded to finish priming the cases I had ready without any problems there either.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to print out this thread and keep it with the tool in case something else comes up.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Glad you got it going !

Boolit Master

Bet you don't ever need to read those recommendations again. Some of the best experience is the result of a bad experience, which leaves a lasting impression. I would mark it in my Reloading Journal, for posterity, and a date certain when it happened. Glad you got it working again. THAT is why I love this place...DIY Heaven!
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.