Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 44 Mag with Split Barrel

Banner Sponsor

Anybody know what the BFR threads are?

Boolit Master
    The crack seems strange to me. If it was just hot (high pressure) loads, it would start back close to the frame and open up instead of propagating forward. In order to fail the barrel due to pressure, I am also thinking there would be damage to the cylinder. I am thinking this is more of a defective barrel fabrication.

Stainless makes the replacement effort easier, but there is still the attachments to the barrel (shroud, front sight) that must be dealt with.

Find a gunsmith or two that does regular revolver barrel work and find what they would charge. The gun is worth enough to justify a goo repair.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    The crack seems strange to me. If it was just hot (high pressure) loads, it would start back close to the frame and open up instead of propagating forward. In order to fail the barrel due to pressure, I am also thinking there would be damage to the cylinder. I am thinking this is more of a defective barrel fabrication.

Stainless makes the replacement effort easier, but there is still the attachments to the barrel (shroud, front sight) that must be dealt with.

Find a gunsmith or two that does regular revolver barrel work and find what they would charge. The gun is worth enough to justify a goo repair.
    You're not wrong!!! The one I replaced was on a SBH that had a similar split. The guy I got it from said that "one shot made a funny pffft sound and the next one was way too much recoil for him to handle". I assumed a bore obstruction from the previous bullet being lodged in the barrel? I looked forever from the barrel back and had a gunsmith do the same before rebarreling. I gifted it to my dad who has thoroughly enjoyed it!
    (I gave the guy $50 for it, figured the sights and grips and springs were worth the money).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Since there’s nothing pointing to hot rounds causing the crack, I tend to think it was from a manufacturing defect.

My son lives in Fairbanks AK, and there aren’t as many gunsmiths available as there may be in other parts of the US. For sure this gun needs a gunsmith, but finding one who specializes in handguns, won’t be easy for him. Is shipping to someone in the lower 48 possible. Probably shipping documents etc. will add to the cost, making the project unviable.

Boolit Grand Master

If he ships it to a licensed gunsmith for repair and the gunsmith ships it back to him there is no change of ownership and thus no paperwork of significant effect. I have no idea what shipping from Alaska to the lower 48 costs, though.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banner Sponsor

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Since there’s nothing pointing to hot rounds causing the crack, I tend to think it was from a manufacturing defect.

My son lives in Fairbanks AK, and there aren’t as many gunsmiths available as there may be in other parts of the US. For sure this gun needs a gunsmith, but finding one who specializes in handguns, won’t be easy for him. Is shipping to someone in the lower 48 possible. Probably shipping documents etc. will add to the cost, making the project unviable.
    Handguns are more cost to ship than long guns. For a handgun, the easiest / lowest cost shipping is usually to find a local FFL that will do the shipping. The local indoor range quoted me $50.00 total. Alternately there is ShipMyGun (see link below) that you can check with. Either will be less than the $100 for an individual to ship the gun themselves. The gunsmith doing the work will know how to use reasonable shipping for the trip back.

https://www.shipmygun.com/go/

Bottom line- the cost to fix will be more then the guns worth. Sorry.

Boolit Master

I’d have the frame & cylinder magna fluxed for hidden cracks before going any further.

Boolit Master
    If it was mine, I would consider just shooting it as is but maybe with 44 special equivilent loads.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

Gary Reeder in Flagstaff does alot of revolver work. Might give him a call, 928-527-4100.

Boolit Master

You might check with these guys on "the bay" that sell parts kits. Most have a demil contract with the city/state for confiscated guns. My gunshop had such a contract and he had a PU load of spare parts (he's passed now). They are allowed to strip all parts but the frame, cut that with a torch and leave SN intact and furnish to LEOs along with an affidavit. Hard to seen a nice nickel plated Colt Government Model or Ruger Blackhawk go under the torch. I've seen both happen. You might get lucky./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master
    E-gunparts has a 5 1/2 inch blue 44 magnum barrel for $85 It would require a new sight, as I think this is for a fixed sight gun, but it could return it to service.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I have the same revolver, and it's a beast! It'll handle loads that I have no interest in shooting. And it's huge! Lots bigger and heavier than my Uberti Cattleman in .45 Colt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0323-2304x1536.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    This is probably what you want.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1809180A

Boolit Master
    If it were me and I was in Alaska, I would contact Jack Huntington and see how much he would charge to replace the barrel. He's done several of my guns and is very reasonable for the quality of the work.

As to shipping, find a friendly dealer who will ship it for you...it will go into a USPS $16.00 flat rate box plus insurance...probably $25.00 shipping plus whatever the dealer would charge to run it into and out of the books..

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
    This is probably what you want.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1809180A
    Now that would be the exact thing!!!!
    Your Google Fu is strong!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    So, are you 100% sure that barrel is cracked? To me it almost looks like a scratch, you can see it has been shot a lot as the ejector has wore a line in the barrel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12