RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't move

Boolit Master

Don't move

After 56 years living in So. California,44 years in the same house I moved to the greater Portland area to be closer to my two sons and a very cute granddaughter. Moved in November 2020. I am now in so cal doing a final clean out of house, garage and reloading room. This is the end of the second week, one more to go. Never realized how much ammo,brass, bullets,fishing tackle, rod and reels that I have acquired over the last 40+ years. #2 son and I are going to move ammo and bullets in my pick-up. Movers are going to take everything else. Second time for them. Also second time for #2 and me. Moved all firearms in November. Given the amount of work involved I am not sure I would recommend a move after 40+ years. Now that it is 3/4 done I am going to complete it.

Boolit Master

if you move every 5 years like we do, you only have half the accumulation. There is some fuzzy math going on there.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

When I built the house in 1989, I promised myself I'd never move again, unless it was in a black plastic bag with handles on it.

And here I am. In 2016, we moved out of the city, the new house is only 70 miles away.
    Just moving stuff I could move myself- some came here, some went to the dump, which was only 3-4 miles from the house.
    I put something like 3,000 miles on the truck.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I built my house 34 years ago and it has taken most of that time to train my neighbours, I don't think I have enough time left in me to do it again so I'm staying put

Boolit Grand Master
    Sadly have had a few friends move to the lower 48.
    One more moving sometime this year.
    I'm sure he won't be the last.
    I'm guessing moving across the ocean would be a lot harder than over land.

Banned

we arent moving but are tearing out our house and putting up a new one this summer. Ive been moving things out to the barn slowly. Amazing the number of garbage bags that ive thrown out of stuff i dont know why we kept. Its a big job just to do what im doing. i cant imagine having to pack up everything in the garage barn and loading room and moving it cross country. NO THANKS.

It's amazing how much "stuff" we all accumulate . I always questioned my dad for a shelf full of coffee and peanut cans full of old rusty and bent nails and screws and vowed never to keep stuff like that . Guess what I somehow have a few of those cans sitting on my shelves too .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I hate moving........Last time was 22+ yrs ago

Moving my boat is a pain

Boolit Master

My next (and last) move will be when I buy the farm.
    Gun control is not about guns.

I’m just now starting that process. We bought land and hope to build a house on it in a few years.
    I built a shed for the tractor and I’m planning on moving my lead stash to it 40-50 pounds at a time. I hope to be more organized their than I am now!
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

If it were not for folks moving, there would be about HALF of the garage sales where most of the "treasures" can be found and kept from going into the land fill. You also rediscover those "put off" projects you never quite get around to on that proverbial "rainy day".
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

As a lifelong Oregonian I can see why you moved from SoCal to be near family.
    The Portland area is no better politically than California.
    Our last move was in 1977 and i plan on living out my last days in this house.
    We are in a rural setting.

Banned
    Traveling lighter has a lot to recommend it. We just moved last Fall from a house we restored after Hurricane Harvey. We had that house just the way we wanted it but 6 more serial disasters both God and man-made reminded us that:
    A. The kids were grown and moved away.
    B. We were retired.
    C. The paper mill 15 miles away said HELLO at least once a week.
    D. There were RR crossings within .5 miles of the house.
    E. We weren’t 40 years old anymore and didn’t have anything to prove to anyone.
    F. We were living in one of the Bluest counties of a Red state!

We hadn’t planned on moving although the Harvey flood had thinned out a lot of our stuff. It was a forced down-sizing. We made some shall we say “non trendy” design decisions during the restoration. Nothing outlandish but we don’t have the “white kitchen” many seem to be looking for now so selling the house has been a challenge. After Harvey our neighborhood was designated as a flood zone so that hasn’t helped either.

I’m mostly dedicated to reading books I have been toting around for 40 years and then donating them. I’m also thinning my reloading equipment from the five calibers I reloaded in my 20s down to two.

Boolit Master
    40 years of stuff isn't that bad. I've lived in my house over 70 years and have accumulated enough stuff to prove it. Lately I've been selling off tools and the like that I haven't been using. I need to do more of that.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Moderator Emeritus

Not going anywhere. Nearest neighbor is 1/2 miles away and it is a ranch. I have 81 acres and plenty of land buffer between my house and property lines. If we get another place it will be for the weather and tax purposes of six months and a day residency during the nicest months. I have way to much stuff to move again and I have added to it since my last move four years ago. Told the kids my junk will be their problem as you don't get something for nothing. My daughter just say she is gonna torch the place. Bratty kids.

I have every intention of passing away right here.....someone else will deal with the “stuff”! I only hope that I can’t witness my heirs giving a lifetime of my accumulated gear away for pennies on the dollar! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    A few years ago, we moved from our house of 45 years on the farm into town into a condo. I had a shop at home I should note, and after 45 years of "I'll save this as I might need it someday" - I discovered that day usually never comes. A MAJOR job for anyone moving after being i a place that long - can sympathize with you . . . at least you have kids that may want some of your things so now would be a good time to pass them on. Good luck to you in your move and enjoy being close to your family and grandkids.

Yep hate it. Moved a few times when young. Built house and lived there 20 years. Dang accumulated so much stuff. Moved up here, spend 4 years in one house, then moved again. Hopefully for last time....

Boolit Grand Master
    I moved 30 years ago, 800 miles away. Did it all myself. Wore out a pickup it took so many trips. Never realized I had so much stuff. Probably have twice as much now. My Wife is going to hate me if I go first, dealing with my "things"

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    It's amazing how much "stuff" we all accumulate . I always questioned my dad for a shelf full of coffee and peanut cans full of old rusty and bent nails and screws and vowed never to keep stuff like that . Guess what I somehow have a few of those cans sitting on my shelves too .
    Kinda funny this comes up. I just two day's ago took a full pickup load of old rusty bolts, nuts, machine bolts of all sizes, two half kegs of nails (nobody uses nails anymore except, in a nail gun) and related "stuff", to our local "transfer station" just starting a shop "cleanup". No, I'm not moving, just need to make some room. My shop/garage is 60x30 and is full. I had a couple "neighbors" (I live in the country) come by and "cherry pick" through the stuff, glad to have had them. they can fill their shops up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast