RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 610 vs XD-M

Boolit Bub

610 vs XD-M

I need some help making a decision. I just traded for a Colt Delta Elite and I found out that my hands do not fit the 1911 platform at all. The frame/safety digs into my thumb join with every shot and I can't get through a single magazine without sharp pain. So rather than toughening up I decided to trade it off. I do want to get something else in 10mm Auto though. Right now I am torn between a S&W 610 and the Springfield XD-M in 10mm.

I like the 610 because I don't have to chase brass and they offer it in a 6" version, but I already have a 686+, 357 Mag 7 shots. I know the 10mm is a bit more powerful than the 357, so there is that, but I don't shoot full power loads out of my 686+ because I do not want to deal with the flame cutting problem. Does the 610 have flame cutting issues?

The Springfield XD-M is my other choice because, according to the Internet, it is one of the only pistols in 10mm that has a fully supported chamber. Good for brass longevity, but it is a pistol so brass chansing is going to be part of the game. Being that the XD-M is a Springfield product is it just a plastic 1911 that will give me the same problem as the Delta Elite?

I'd appreciate some opinions.

I shoot both 1911 and XDm platforms in both 9mm and 45ACP. I don't own anything in 10mm currently.
    The XDm in 45ACP uses the same frame as the 10mm version. I am quite comfortable firing the WDm for long sessions without issue.
    My 1911 has a beavertail safety and doesn't cause me issues either.
    When I had a military style 1911, the safety would chew up my hand between the thump and finger causing pain with repeated shooting.

I own and shoot both the S&W 610 revolver, and the Springfield XDm in 10mm, along with several other firearms in this caliber. Either handgun will serve you well, but they are different platforms. With the 610, you'll have to use moon clips, much like a speed loader. They can be a bear to load and unload the moon clips, but they make both a "Mooner" and a "demooner" for that chore, and they're easy to use, however more expense.

The Springfield XDm is a great handgun in 10mm. It has high capacity and is ergonomically designed to fit your hand. If you buy one new, when you register it with Springfield for the warranty, they will give you a one time discount on magazines, which I recommend you take advantage of, if you go that route. You will be chasing brass when shooting a pistol, though...

I might add that the Nosler 180 gr. JHP ammunition is the hottest factory ammunition I've ever fired in a 10mm handgun, and I've been shooting them for many years. One of these days I'll drag out my chronograph and see how fast they're actually traveling, but the felt recoil is much more than most factory rounds. I do shoot mostly handloads in all my 10mm firearms, including my AR in 10mm, but I carry the Nosler factory ammunition when I'm carrying my XDm. I used it to finish off an elk this past November, and my partner said it sounded as loud as his .300 Win. Mag. when I shot the elk in the head.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

As far as I know, no police department has ever adopted a Springfield other than their 1911 pattern. I think there are probably good reasons for that and price isn't one of them. They are hell to work on, for sure. You might not care but your pistolsmith might.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    Actually the agency I worked for issued XD pistols in .45acp (against my initial advice). They are a bit more expensive than Glocks btw. We had good service out of them for years with few mechanical or user problems and after I retired they were replaced, with XD 9mm pistols. They’re no harder to work on than other pistols, been there, got a T-shirt from the armorer school.
    Glock has aggressively tied up law enforcement sales and that is the reason you rarely see SA XD pistols in police holsters.

I haven’t shot an XD in 10mm, I’m sure they’re just fine. The S&W 610 is a very nice pistol and just has a bit more class. If I were choosing between the two I’d go with the revolver. I have a 10mm GP-100 and it is a dandy revolver cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    With the 610, you'll have to use moon clips, much like a speed loader. They can be a bear to load and unload the moon clips, but they make both a "Mooner" and a "demooner" for that chore, and they're easy to use, however more expense.

Fred
    With the S&W do you “have” to use moonclips or are the only for ejection? My GP-100 has been 100% reliable with loose ammo and the empties either fall out of the cylinder or they can be plucked out with your fingers. I use the Ranch Products moonclips for serious shooting.

I really wish someone would honcho getting Starline to come out with 10mm AutoRim brass...

Boolit Master

For my money, I'd MUCH rather chase brass than deal with moon clips. YMMV.

Personally, if you are currently without a 10mm, I would let the round go and play with more common fare. I drank the 10mm Kool Aid for a few years and still have a Glock 20 that pretty much holds down invoices inside the safe. The conclusions I came to:

1. As a combat round, the .45 is faster back on target. With bullet design and alloy manipulation, it can penetrate about as much or as little as you want it to. Much the same can be said of the .357

2. As a magnum round, it'll never be the equal of the .41, .44, or Ruger-tuned .45C.

3. Yeah, it does OK on trajectory, but again, .357, and if flattening the arch is a goal, ummmm. . .rifles.

If I was a cop in Wyoming that might have to deal with a grizzly bear one day and an AK-toting meth cooker the next, I'd probably regard a double-stack 10mm as the best option when you never know which of those two days it's going to be. Outside of that occupation though. . .meh.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Moderator Emeritus

I own and shoot both the S&W 610 revolver, and the Springfield XDm in 10mm, along with several other firearms in this caliber. Either handgun will serve you well, but they are different platforms. With the 610, you'll have to use moon clips, much like a speed loader. They can be a bear to load and unload the moon clips, but they make both a "Mooner" and a "demooner" for that chore, and they're easy to use, however more expense.

The Springfield XDm is a great handgun in 10mm. It has high capacity and is ergonomically designed to fit your hand. If you buy one new, when you register it with Springfield for the warranty, they will give you a one time discount on magazines, which I recommend you take advantage of, if you go that route. You will be chasing brass when shooting a pistol, though...

I might add that the Nosler 180 gr. JHP ammunition is the hottest factory ammunition I've ever fired in a 10mm handgun, and I've been shooting them for many years. One of these days I'll drag out my chronograph and see how fast they're actually traveling, but the felt recoil is much more than most factory rounds. I do shoot mostly handloads in all my 10mm firearms, including my AR in 10mm, but I carry the Nosler factory ammunition when I'm carrying my XDm. I used it to finish off an elk this past November, and my partner said it sounded as loud as his .300 Win. Mag. when I shot the elk in the head.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    I have the Xdm in 10mm also. I love it. If you like the fit of an M&P 45c (as an example) you will like the Springfield. I prefer the semis to revolvers due to nerve damage in my right hand. Much easier to control the semis. Hate a Glock grip. If you can hold or shoot one that would be best. When I was in LGS a customer had a SA Xd in 9mm he let me hold to test the grip. Said it was basically the same as the Xdm. Good luck.
    Ron

Banned

is this question real?? An xd or a 610!!! Id take the 610 over 2 xd's

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    is this question real?? An xd or a 610!!! Id take the 610 over 2 xd's
    If you can't shoot a certain type of gun it is almost worthless to you as a firearm. An investment maybe.

Boolit Master
    My local Outdoors Trader just posted one alternative, a 5.5" stainless Blackhawk in near new condition with 10mm and .40 S&W cylinders for $850. I think I would stick with my 4 Ruger .45 Colt Blackhawks (2 are my wife's). GF

Boolit Man

I see this as a 6 shots vs. 15 shots in the gun at a time issue.

I have both DA revolvers, though none in 10, and XDm and Glock double-stack 10s. In my mind, each has a purpose. Some may resort to a 6 gun for general purposes, some like more pew. In clawed-bear country, I carry the XDm 10 with WW-cast 198 WFN pushed hard (more pew). If I go wandering around with my boys, I sometimes opt for a GP in Special, just to remind them I am older than they are and therefore know more, or a suppressed 22 auto, so I can shoot more and be quiet about it.

The fiery, go-getter left in me says get the 610. Then get the XDm.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd View Post
    I see this as a 6 shots vs. 15 shots in the gun at a time issue.

I have both DA revolvers, though none in 10, and XDm and Glock double-stack 10s. In my mind, each has a purpose. Some may resort to a 6 gun for general purposes, some like more pew. In clawed-bear country, I carry the XDm 10 with WW-cast 198 WFN pushed hard (more pew). If I go wandering around with my boys, I sometimes opt for a GP in Special, just to remind them I am older than they are and therefore know more, or a suppressed 22 auto, so I can shoot more and be quiet about it.

The fiery, go-getter left in me says get the 610. Then get the XDm.
    I forgot to mention that I'm up in Canada. Target shooting is the only legitimate used of a handgun, and we are limited to 10 rounds per magazine.

That does change the equation a bit.
    If you get an XDm, I would suggest you get a drop in PRP trigger kit for it. The trigger pulls on my various XDm pistols runs 5-6 pounds from the factory. This is a bit heavy for target shooting best accuracy.
    They are easy to install yourself and there are several very good videos on youtube covering this process in detail. The ones I installed dropped my trigger pull to 3.5 pounds which made my guns very easy to shoot well. They are now the equal in accuracy of my 1911 pistols.
    I have been told you can order the XDm from the factory with a PRP trigger installed. I cannot confirm this though.

Boolit Grand Master
    Never held an XD-M, so no help there. The S&W 610 is a classy revolver.

Another option is to change the mainspring housing on your Delta Elite. I can't remember if it comes with a flat or arched one. Arched mainspring housings on 1911's tend to chew my hand up with a standard grip safety. A flat mainspring housing lets me shoot all day with zero problems.

Hammer bite is actually the skin on the web of my hand getting pinched between the hammer and grip safety tangs. The little Star or Llama 9mm miniature 1911 almost clones do it to me also.

If it is the thumb safety, hold your thumb down instead of with a high grip.

Robert

I too, own and shoot the M610 and the XDM-10, and also a 1911-10. I don't have the issue that Jaak has with the safety digging into my thumb joint with any of these platforms. As several have said, these are different platforms for different applications. Of the three, I enjoy shooting the M610 the most because it's big and heavy which makes it a pleasure to shoot, because I can shoot xtra spicy rounds through that strong N-frame, and I can shoot 40S&W rounds through it when I want to tone it down a bit, and I don't have to run over to the next county to retrieve my spent brass.

I've had no issues with the XDM-10. None. The 15+1 capacity was a selling point for me; that, and it's not a gluck. But this is no bueno for the OP being in Canada. I put a PRP spring kit in mine and it helped quite a bit, and magazines are fairly inexpensive. Yes, chamber is well supported, and the handgun is large, heavy and built like a tank; it doesn't have too much of a plastic feel to me. My 5.25" target model has fine adjustable (fiber optic front) sights. I can hit the piggies out to 50m with aplomb.

Answer to other question posted here:
    With 10mm, moonclips not required in the M610.

The Springfield XDm is a great handgun in 10mm. It has high capacity and is ergonomically designed to fit your hand. If you buy one new, when you register it with Springfield for the warranty, they will give you a one time discount on magazines, which I recommend you take advantage of, if you go that route. You will be chasing brass when shooting a pistol, though.
    Fred
    Last edited by sparkyv; 03-18-2021 at 08:23 AM.

I've never tried my 610 without moon clips. I've used speed loaders for revolvers for so long, they're just second nature for me, so the moon clips felt natural. I'd just load up about 25 moon clips prior to going to the range and I was all set for a shooting session. With the mooning and demooning tools, it's easy, and I've found they work well for my S&W 625 in .45 acp, too.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I've never tried my 610 without moon clips. I've used speed loaders for revolvers for so long, they're just second nature for me, so the moon clips felt natural. I'd just load up about 25 moon clips prior to going to the range and I was all set for a shooting session. With the mooning and demooning tools, it's easy, and I've found they work well for my S&W 625 in .45 acp, too.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    A little thread drift here.
    Funny how much the laws differ from state to state. Here in Illinois, a loaded moon clip, speed loader, or magazine is the same as having a loaded firearm.
    If we get caught with one in a vehicle, we get a firearms violation.
    Only exception is for concealed carry holders.

Now back to the original topic.

I would stick with the 686, and give up the 10mm if revolvers are what you like.

10mm in a revolver won’t do anything a 357 can’t—other than fire a .401 sized bullet.

If you decide to go for a 10mm semi-auto, you might look at the Witness 10mm, Glock 20, or the Sig220 10mm. They are all nice and do not employ a grip safety.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you for all of the advice. I decided to go with the 610 for two reasons. The first was that I didn't realize the 610 is an N frame, as opposed to the L framed 686+ I already own. I don't have a N frame so the 610 checks that box. The second reason was the brass chasing. I decided the brass is difficult enough to source that I'm going to take the path of the brass miser.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast