RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan Wesson 357 pistol pack value?

Banner Sponsor

Dan Wesson 357 pistol pack value?

Hi everybody. I'm trying to find a value for a stainless Dan Wesson 357 mag pistol pack with 2,4,6,8" barrels in the factory hard case.
    I looked at GunBroker but only saw a 44 with 2 barrels for $3kish
    Any help would be appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master
    So much more than I can afford, I can't even make a joke about it.

I do remember drooling over advertisements for them when I was a kid.

Robert

ADMIN

It is a rare setup.
    I am guessing it would sell around $2500 give or take.
    The market is finicky.
    I have seen identical setups vary by four or five hundred dollars.
    Just depends on who is online and if you can get lucky and get a bidding war going.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Grand Master
    last one I saw was offered for $2100, and it sold. I would dearly love to have one but I can't justify the expense.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I recently saw a blued set go for $1800. Not sure about a stainless set.

Boolit Master

I picked one up in kansas a few years ago for 1100 bucks, knew if I did not take it home I would kick myself, the wife was with me and said it was my birthday and chrismas present from her that year. think the 2 to 3 range is the market.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    Value adders for DW: What style shroud? V or VH is the most liked but not the rarest. Is the belt buckle and patch in the case? Are the barrel tools and manual in the case? Where was the gun made? Used or as new in wrapper? Edit: grip types and front sight inserts?

I'm sad I can not afford such a package!
    Last edited by LeonardC; 03-16-2021 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    Hi everybody. I'm trying to find a value for a stainless Dan Wesson 357 mag pistol pack with 2,4,6,8" barrels in the factory hard case.
    I looked at GunBroker but only saw a 44 with 2 barrels for $3kish
    Any help would be appreciated.
    What exactly makes the Dan Wesson model of revolver stand out from the others? Fancy Trigger? Special Features? Or just a well revered brand name?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    What exactly makes the Dan Wesson model of revolver stand out from the others? Fancy Trigger? Special Features? Or just a well revered brand name?
    Accuracy and durability coupled with the interchangeability.

https://www.danwessonforum.com/suppo...s/pistol-pack/

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/715-revolver/

https://special-ops.org/dan-wesson-pistol-pac/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Woah! interchangeable barrels on a revolver! That's wild! No wonder why they are so spendy! Kinda weird that a S&W-Alike would rotate its cylinder in the opposite direction, but if they call it a feature so be it.

I'd heard about them but I never really knew what made them special.

Boolit Master
    Check gunbroker completed auctions. Value very dependent upon condition, brushed or polished finish, and if the barrels were shipped with the gun or accumulated.

Boolit Bub
    The one revolver I regret selling was a DW .357, I had 3 V barrels, all shot well a 2 1/2", 6", and 8. The 8 was scoped, had it at the 50yd range one day and the range master came over and quietly said your DW is outshooting all the rifles. I think I sold the package for $400 so a could get a Python Hunter for the outrageous sum of $1050. DW revolver prices are climbing, and the packs are harder to find, $'s mentioned above seem right to me. Condition, condition! They are simply awesome revolvers, very accurate. I visit the DW forum every now & then, interesting place to spend an hour. If I wasn't downsizing, I would be looking.

Moderator Emeritus

I have watched them off and on and recently seen blued ones go in the mid $2000 range. I would add at least $400 for stainless VH or V. This is assuming VG condition.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    It would be hard to set a price on a pistol pac today. Prices are crazy but the $2000 to $3000 is not a bad guess. Depends on a motivated buyer and details.

I have three Dan Wesson revolvers, two MDL 15's and a .357 Max Super Mag. I have 6 barrels, 5 shrouds, 4 grips, an extra side plate and three cylinders for the MDL 15's. One of the cylinders is in 32-20. I picked up pieces one piece at a time and made some of the barrels myself. Not a pistol pac so no collector value. When I bought them before the pandemic a mdl 15 was going for less than $500 and extra barrels and shrouds were less than $100 each so a homemade pistol pac could be assembled for around $1000. I am not a fan of snubbies so I never got a 2 inch barrel. I have only 4, 6 and 8 inch barrels. I have 4" barrels in .224, .308, and .357 so I guess my 32-20 is really a 30-20.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    PUT a early bid in and ride it WITHOUT bidding till the last 30 minutes or less.. I currently have 4 and if my health goes i will sell them on the forum for what i gave for them... I bought Starline brass for them a few years back also...

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by CLAYPOOL View Post
    PUT a early bid in and ride it WITHOUT bidding till the last 30 minutes or less.. I currently have 4 and if my health goes i will sell them on the forum for what i gave for them... I bought Starline brass for them a few years back also...
    Here is to hoping you never need to sell them.
    Ron

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    Woah! interchangeable barrels on a revolver! That's wild! No wonder why they are so spendy! Kinda weird that a S&W-Alike would rotate its cylinder in the opposite direction, but if they call it a feature so be it.

I'd heard about them but I never really knew what made them special.
    Makers of DA revolvers like to talk up the benefits/drawbacks of the direction of cylinder rotation. In a crowded market, people look for little things to sell their wares.

Colt & DW put the hand (pawl) to the left of the cylinder's central axis (as viewed from the rear of the gun) and claim the hand pushes the cylinder and crane into the frame. S&W and Ruger place their hand to the right of the cylinder center axis and claim their parts are more robust, they have better cylinder bolting, blah, blah, blah. The two designs are different but probably not different enough to make any difference for someone outside of the marketing department

Dan Wesson revolvers had some good engineering. The tensioned barrel with a shroud (A system that S&W is now using although for manufacturing, not barrel swapping), a front locking crane, a coil spring powered hammer and some other features.
    By placing the cylinder lock on the crane, Dan Wesson was able to make a very strong system. The inner barrel tensioned by a shroud is also a very good solution to setting the B/C gap and always getting the front sight clocked correctly, something S&W took note of.

Boolit Buddy
    DW had a lot of little things besides the barrel/shroud swaps that made it stand out in it's time. You could even use the shroud from a .22 on a .357 (same frame size). The barrel threads are different to keep from using the wrong barrel on a frame. The grip attachment allowed for almost any shape grip you could think of, lots of different shapes from the factory and they sold an inletted blank so you could shape your own. The easy interchangeable front sight was nice and has been copied, more or less, by many other companies. They used hex screws rather than flat slotted ones.

In the early days the customer service was off the chart. The company would go out of its way to put together almost any package the customer wanted. One of a kind guns or small runs are seen from time to time. If you had a problem they would make it right. I bought an early 15-2 used that was in pretty good shape, but had been shot a lot. I shot it a lot as well; first gun I reloaded for. In time the gun got a bit loose. I sent it back to the factory and they rebuilt it...no charge.

Boolit Master
    Times sure do change. I had a DW with one barrel - 357 back in 1974. Decided to sell it at a local gun show. Lord, you'd a thought I'd was trying to sell a dead possum. I got pore mouthed to death trying to sell it.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Makers of DA revolvers like to talk up the benefits/drawbacks of the direction of cylinder rotation. In a crowded market, people look for little things to sell their wares.

Colt & DW put the hand (pawl) to the left of the cylinder's central axis (as viewed from the rear of the gun) and claim the hand pushes the cylinder and crane into the frame. S&W and Ruger place their hand to the right of the cylinder center axis and claim their parts are more robust, they have better cylinder bolting, blah, blah, blah. The two designs are different but probably not different enough to make any difference for someone outside of the marketing department

Dan Wesson revolvers had some good engineering. The tensioned barrel with a shroud (A system that S&W is now using although for manufacturing, not barrel swapping), a front locking crane, a coil spring powered hammer and some other features.
    By placing the cylinder lock on the crane, Dan Wesson was able to make a very strong system. The inner barrel tensioned by a shroud is also a very good solution to setting the B/C gap and always getting the front sight clocked correctly, something S&W took note of.
    Don't the newly manufactured replicas of the Model 10 and Model 29 have shrouded barrels? That system sounds familiar to me. Also if I remember correctly the S&W Triple Lock introduced in the early 1900's had a lock on the crane as well. I believe Ruger has a crane lock too for some of its revolvers. I'm just thankful I haven't had any timing issues with my Model 10-5. Whoever had it last took good care of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast